Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A simple test I took revealed I was a type 6. Overall, very accurate. But when I take those professional like tests that have about 60 or more questions, I end up with type 4 or type 2 or type 7 or 8 or 9. Even 5. It's all over the place! (But I've taken some cheap ones that gave me one of those results, too.)

This just leaves me really confused about everything. I'm not one of those people who has a billion personalities, although I do tend to take a long time to make decisions and all.

I can have a split personality at times, but it's not to this exaggeration.

Does anyone know a good website to find your Enneagram type?

Thanks in advance,
Static

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
You have a Head Gut and Heart in enneagram. It's called a trifix.

If you said you believe six is accuate, and you also got a 7. 6w7 could be your Head.

In fact yours except for the heart adds up like this: 6w7H - 8w9G - xxxI because you can't be a 4w2 you can be a 4w3/4w5 - 3w4/3w2 or 2w3/2w1. However, Trifixes have Shadow Wings. Allow me to present mine

7w8H (SW: 6w7) | 4w3I (SW 5w4) | 8w7G (SW 7w8)

The order in which they're placed is important too. My gut is in last place while my head is in first. My heart (Image) is in second.

I currently don't really have enough data on you to give you the once over but if I were to guesstimate I'd say you're not a 6w7 but a 7w6H, and probably an 8w9G.

I can't tell you your image or the order just yet.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
If you're looking to seriously consider your Enneagram type, I would suggest you move away from tests, and go from descriptions, practical applications (such as viewing the motivations and actions of all of the types in individuals), and truly, seriously take a look into self-evaluation. The Enneagram is deeper than the MBTI in that it addresses core motivations, and while you may seem confused at first, your motivation and your fear are deep-rooted within you, buried under your experiences and complexities. As you go further, you may want to look into the fine nuances of the types, such as wings, variants, and tri-types, but I would suggest you focus on the evaluation part first, without the aid of a simple, flawed test.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You have a Head Gut and Heart in enneagram. It's called a trifix.

If you said you believe six is accuate, and you also got a 7. 6w7 could be your Head.

In fact yours except for the heart adds up like this: 6w7H - 8w9G - xxxI because you can't be a 4w2 you can be a 4w3/4w5 - 3w4/3w2 or 2w3/2w1. However, Trifixes have Shadow Wings. Allow me to present mine

7w8H (SW: 6w7) | 4w3I (SW 5w4) | 8w7G (SW 7w8)

The order in which they're placed is important too. My gut is in last place while my head is in first. My heart (Image) is in second.

I currently don't really have enough data on you to give you the once over but if I were to guesstimate I'd say you're not a 6w7 but a 7w6H, and probably an 8w9G.

I can't tell you your image or the order just yet.

Could you explain this Trifix you speak of? :mellow:

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Could you explain this Trifix you speak of? :mellow:
The trifix is also known as the Tri-type. If you'd like, have a look in the Head section of the Enneagram forum for the type Five tri-type descriptions, if you have not already.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Sure: It's simple. You don't only use your Head. You also use your Heart and Gut. Thus they need a number too. The dominate type will be the thing you use the most. Second is what you are on the inside. I'm not sure what the third place is for but I suspect its your goals or how you get when stressed, but I could be wrong. What I do know is the order is important for how much you use a type. I use 4 more than 8 because I'm obsessed with putting out my original thoughts, ideas, and myself out there and not changing into something else because I want people to accept me as I am. I use 7 more than both of them because... well that's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
OH.
*Reaches enlightenment*
That was much simpler than I was expecting.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, this is rather confusing...

From this source--9types.com,
I think I fall between these types: 3, somewhat 2, 5, 6, & 7.
Yikes, that's a lot. But here's why I feel I can relate to these.
Let's start with 2-
2's want to be loved. I always wanted to be loved. It's not that I don't get any at home, it's just that I need to feel appreciated like...all the time. Maybe because in the relationships I've been in, the guy claims he loves me, but then leaves me for something stupid. It bothers me a lot. I can never take guys seriously anymore. So being loved is really important to me.

5-
I am eccentric and smart, and feel at times that people don't understand the knowledge that sometimes it seems only I possess. I share quite a few qualities from 5. I'm perceptive, a bookworm, etc. However, I am NOT introverted.

6-
I can be very anxious like 6. I fear that everyone will just get up and leave me. In the sixth grade my best friend left me for the popular kids and it was really traumatizing because they all teased me. But then I moved up the social ladder a great deal, but being so high makes me afraid I'll slip and go back down again. The whole description of six represents me pretty well.

7-
The only things I have in common with 7 is I'm independent and wish I had that certain something to complete my life. ^^; Oh, and I tend to drift off into my imagination too many times.

That's about it, except 3!
3-
Also fits me well like 7, with the whole optimistic and energetic pysche. I am ambitious, and narcissistic. /sad face. And all I want is to be accepted into society and loved for me! And sometimes this leads to problems because at school, I tend to have more guy friends than girls because girls get jealous of me. I try not to brag, and if I do, I guess I do it gently. So being a 3 is not something stretched.

There you have it, my reasons, fears, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Static

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
My personal call is that you seem very much like a type Six, but it's your judgment on what type you are. I would urge you to go have another look at some more descriptions, as well as the 'Six Misidentifications' available in the Head Triad sub-forum of the Enneagram forum.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That helped a lot :)
I read 3 & 6 but-
I do get very self-conscious like 6, but there are reasons why. I usually have faith in myself and my abilities, and longed to get noticed for my talents, because I feel sometimes people don't recognize them at all or enough. But sometimes there are those that tend to squash that flame of confidence but subtly suggesting (or maybe not subtly at all) that I have no talent. This is how I can suffer from self-doubt a lot.
So I am still stuck between 3 & 6... /sad face.

I don't think I'm a 5.
2 & 7 I'm still debating.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Looking between the prime fears of Three and Six, which one would you say you relate to more, without it being situational (like with the self-conscious thing). You may also want to consider your negative traits, and take a look at the ones for each type - it may be unflattering and there may be some things you don't want to admit, but it's a clearer method.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ahh, you are so helpful. :)
2 is crossed out, so I don't need to worry about that. I have a lot of 6's motives, but the 3 personality matches me better. It's hard to say.

If I was a 6, I'd probably be 6w7.
But 3...there's this side of me that wants to be competitive, better than everyone else. I want to prove my worth all the time, because I don't feel like I am worth it at all...that's why I am competitive, because if I do succeed, it reassures me that I don't have to suffer from self-doubt.

o_o I think I just answered my question...6?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Static

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I think you did - it sounds a lot like the 'counter-phobic' side of Six, which is more openly assertive, going after their fears rather than 'wading' in them, as the phobic Six is said to do. Have you considered the phobic-counterphobic differences so far?

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Thanks. I'm not quite sure about phobic and counter phobic, other than the definitions one would assume...is there specific meanings for them in the Enneagram?
It just applies to the type six. Counter-phobic six's are most likely to face their fears as phobics are the opposite.

Have you read the descriptions available on the forum?

Phobic and Counterphobic
The two different 'types' within Type Six are known as phobic and counterphobic. The difference between these states is quite simple: whereas the phobic Six chooses their actions cautiously and with great thought to their avoidance, the counterphobic Six is much more quick to confront their problems at the source, choosing to strike rather than to avoid.

Phobic Sixes more often appear to mistype as Fives and Sevens, the other two types of the Head Triad. While phobic Sixes are, by tendency, more calm and quiet than the counterphobic Six, they may appear more rational as a result. Due to their fact-checking ways, Sixes can easily think that they are rational individuals, and by extension, independent of other factors. This can be confused for the individualistic energies of either the Seven or Five, depending on the individual. While the Six may be individualistic at the start, the phobic Six is much more comfortable deferring to authority they agree with and respect completely than a Five or Seven, and at times, even a counterphobic Six. Types Five and Seven, by nature, may have a difficult time aligning themselves with authority, even if they are to agree completely, as it goes against their natural inclination.

Counterphobic Sixes more often appear to mistype as Sevens and Eights than any other type. Since counterphobic individuals are very grounded in their coping strategy, they can appear to be very aggressive, high energy individuals. They are surely very high-energy, even if the aggression around them is more frequently a shield than true aggression. Depending on their upbringing, the counterphobic Six can emerge in a variety of ways – if they had turned more to entertaining pursuits as their main focus, they can seem like a Type Seven with their applied energy, gregarious attitude and love for fun times. If attuned to more aggressive matters, or in more unfortunate circumstances, forced down during their early lives, counterphobic Sixes may appear as a Type Eight, focused on leading. Since the counterphobic Six and Eight are so alike to begin with, the counterphobe more often mistypes as an Eight over a Seven, and quite often for the same reasons they developed their coping strategy in the first place. Counterphobic Sixes and Eights may further be confused through their defense – however, while Eights and counterphobes can both be reactionary, the Eight is more liable to appear to be aggressively attacking at first, rather than defending or striking after an assault. Type Eights do not appear to use, or require the need of, a coping strategy to make their way through life, and their aggression is much less personal; not aimed to strike as the counterphobic Six's is, but used as a tool to maintain complete control.

What divides the phobic and counterphobic Sixes, besides their evident differences, is ultimately their coping strategies. Phobic Sixes develop an avoidance strategy in life, one that urges the phobic Six not to deal with the problems they encounter that embody the thing they're attempting to avoid. As such, the phobic Six also develops steps and plans that literally protect them from what they perceive as a threat, and since they are not liable to have to deal with their fear, phobic Sixes more often do not appear as cowards they've sometimes been portrayed as. The counterphobic Six develops a strategy of confronting their fear, and does not always find it necessary to take extra steps and strategies as the phobic Six. In that regard, the counterphobic Six may appear to be more of a Classic Six than the phobic, as they will be immersed in their fear much more often. This is not to say, however, that the counterphobic Six does not develop their own shield against the fear – this more often emerges outwardly, as a pointed image of confidence and assertiveness. As such, the counterphobic Six most often has an underlying tension to their figure: beyond all of the confidence and aggression, the counterphobic Six is a Six filled with doubt.
http://personalitycafe.com/head-triad-types-5-6-7/9862-real-type-6-a.html

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
Although I wrote that piece, the counterphobic/phobic sides of the Six are largely unaddressed, especially when most descriptions of the Six reflect the extreme phobic side. One thing to remember is that there are benefits and downsides to each side, so don't feel you're one type just because it's more positive/negative than another.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hmm...I'm not sure if I address my problems (if it involves a person who is very intimidating). But I'm more extroverted than not.

^^; I'm probably a 6w7 (I've loved entertaining others since I was small. I crave the spotlight sometimes.), but I do love learning and books like 6w5.
But aren't 6w5's more introverted?

Thanks again!
Static

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
6w5s are generally more introverted, yes, but not always. The Five wing adds an analytical touch, as well as the Five's tendency to withdraw at times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts