Discussion Starter #1
I'm an INFJ.

Hero: Ni
Good Parent: Fe
Inner Child: Ti
Anima: Se
Opposition: Ne
Critical Parent: Fi
Trickster: Te --> - Te has always been a quality I've lusted after.
Demon: Si

It seemed to me, from a distance, as if it were the get-up-and-go, practical reality, let's-f-ing-do-this style of thinking which I idealise yet simply lack sufficient fibre for or emulate insufficiently as I burnout attempting to do or be things I'm structurally and psychologically incapable of doing

I'm a planner...

Hero: Ni --> ...I've always relied first on my capacity to forecast...
Good Parent: Fe
Inner Child: Ti --> ...as a familiar and comforting basis from which to codify a set of necessary outcomes...
Anima: Se
Opposition: Ne
Critical Parent: Fi
Trickster: Te
Demon: Si --> ...in order, and I feel this is crucial, to compensate for my deep, deep aversion and lack of desire to recall or dwell in any past events (I'll speak on this later, why I feel Si is extremely useful - however unnecessary here).

Now, what's interesting at the moment is I'm in such a unique sort of controlled chaos it's actually forcing me to abandon planning and simply surf the chaos instructing and instituting order as I go along - I barely recall what I've done, I have to have lists of my to-do lists (if I had time or heart to write them down instead of simply doing them...) and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised panicking thinking I've missed something only to find a far more practical and initiative-taking me has already done it last week - however I simply forgot because there's so much to do.

Is this what Te feels like?

Is this how Te is supposed to feel? A sort of improvisational, flying-desperately-by-the-seat-of-your-pants sort of nervous exhiliration at managing to stay on the right side so far of utter madness and chaos? Is this why Te-users enjoying doing things? It lessens the chaos which they have inadequate grasp of the full extents of which - because they don't plan to encapsulate it?

I'm sort of keen to continue to develop it as an attribute, "an ability to not need a plan" - if that's what Te is - "Te is Ti without a plan" ? If not it's maybe just how I experience Te in its INFJ's trickster form... is there a Te-dom out there with some insight into it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I always thought Te was the one with the plan. A lot of efficiency, data, lots of objectivity with somewhat less abstraction. This is the auxiliary of the IxTJ and dominant of the ExTJ if I recall correctly, and I'm very close to three people who fall under these categories.

I suppose Te might reveal itself in different ways for different types, but I think it's very much a rigid, structured, planning function.

Te is, of course, my opposing and not my dominant, but I believe that this also adds to my understanding of it.

Reactions: Eu_citzen

·
Registered
INFJ
5,826 Posts
Extroverted thinking, doesn't just encompass being able to plan and be efficient, however. Those are simply necessary human skills.
Jung's description of extroverted thinking sounds more like the extroverted thinker looks to the consensus of what is accepted thinking, whether it be researching Emperical data or asking a group what they think a course of correct action should be based on their personal expertise. Good Te can help a person become be an absolute encyclopedia of facts and knowledge. Extroverted thinkers are very knowledgable when it comes to facts, because they base their decision on fact without any muddling around with them. I find this very grounding.

But when it's manifest in, even the most subtle of unhealthy ways, I can find very annoying, very quickly, because unhealthy Te can be incredibly sanctimonious and dictatorial, with the mindset of "those people are not doing this thing MY way, therefore, they are doing it wrong." When paired with introverted sensing, you see a lot of this, "If I've never experienced it, it does not exist, or it is absurd" mentality. No imagination, no vision, no ideas, just dry facts and experience is king. This mentality, I generally find excruciatingly odious, because everyone's experience is severely limited and not even remotely a good indication of what is the best or most efficient way to do something, because there will always be a better and more efficient way of doing things than the one you just so happen to have encountered in your brief life span. But unhealthy Si/Te's or Te/Si's will not open their minds, and will not imagine anything outside their experience. It's like the very thought is painful to them. This is where I generally conflict greatly with extroverted thinkers.

Even when describing extroverted thinking in it's unhealthy form, you see me making these sweeping comments, and I start to feel sanctimonious and rigid, myself. Perhaps it is playing tricks on me.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Registered
INTP
4,193 Posts
So interesting. I'm not responsible for cleaning, etc., where I live, but I used to be. And I've lived here a long time. So when a guest or the cleaner do certain things, it drives me nuts. I know exactly why this is unsafe, this will go moldy, this will be unusable, etc. I wish I didn't know, and I want to move out so I don't have to see all that.

I try to remind myself that it's taken me a long time to learn how things work around here, and someone who's only been here for a day or two is basing their decision on other experiences (e.g., how they do things at home).

I think if I were high Te, I'd be able to deal with it better. But since Te is my opposing function, I feel like all this is making me into another person who I'm not comfortable being.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,671 Posts
Now, what's interesting at the moment is I'm in such a unique sort of controlled chaos it's actually forcing me to abandon planning and simply surf the chaos instructing and instituting order as I go along - I barely recall what I've done, I have to have lists of my to-do lists (if I had time or heart to write them down instead of simply doing them...) and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised panicking thinking I've missed something only to find a far more practical and initiative-taking me has already done it last week - however I simply forgot because there's so much to do.

Is this what Te feels like?

Is this how Te is supposed to feel? A sort of improvisational, flying-desperately-by-the-seat-of-your-pants sort of nervous exhiliration at managing to stay on the right side so far of utter madness and chaos? Is this why Te-users enjoying doing things? It lessens the chaos which they have inadequate grasp of the full extents of which - because they don't plan to encapsulate it?

I'm sort of keen to continue to develop it as an attribute, "an ability to not need a plan" - if that's what Te is - "Te is Ti without a plan" ? If not it's maybe just how I experience Te in its INFJ's trickster form... is there a Te-dom out there with some insight into it?
Ummm... nope... what you're describing is more like Se, than Te. Te is not improvisational and we don't necessarily enjoy doing things. Take me for example... most of the time, I'm passive, low-energy, bored, empty inside. Te is more like this: it judges things by their usefulness, pragmatically and acts logically in the world. Actually, it's not exhilarating at all, it's just cold and empty. In its functioning it's mechanical and rigid in a way.

Let me give you a few examples:

1. I simply discard things (or people) if I don't have anything to get from them. And I don't mean it in the cold, manipulative, cynical way, I mean it in the sense, that if I can't do something for someone or that person can't do something for me (yes, it's not selfish, it works both ways), it's unlikely I will form a deeper connection to that person. It's not about despising people, it's about whether or not there is any usefulness to our interaction. Simply having fun for fun's sake isn't enough. There has to be a practical purpose to our interaction, there will be fun, but it's not the primary goal.

2. Te doesn't stop to smell the roses. If I eat, I treat it like a task to be finished quickly and effectively. It's not about savouring the taste, it's about finishing what's on the plate in front of me. Just like fun in the example above, the pleasure of the taste is there, but it is secondary to finishing the task.

3. In dealing with objects it does so pragmatically. I don't have many things, just because they look pretty. They serve a functional purpose, they do something for me. The aesthetic is simple and somewhat austere. I'm looking at my desk right now... almost every object is black or grey/silver, elegant and practical, without any things that serve no practical purpose. Things are ordered and organised based on functionality, to be in the logical place close to where I need to use them. This order I speak of, don't think of it necessarily as perfect, my bed is a bit messy, we're not talking OCD here 😃 But still every object is ordered logically.

4. Let's assume someone wants to talk about how to manage a team. My first thought is what jobs need to be done, I decompose the task in my mind into its parts and... ignore the people actually part of the team, or I see them as numbers/objects. I somehow always miss there are human beings in there. The tasks/jobs will be logically organised, but people always seem to muddy the waters with their likes/dislikes and human flaws. This is why Stalin once said: "Death solves all problems! No people? No problem!" Ok, he took it to the extreme, but the general idea is still the same.

5. When faced with a new task, my mind does something like a flowchart (like the one below). If X, then do Y, if non-X, then do Z. This is what I meant by "decomposing the task into its parts". I ask myself what needs to happen to get the result I want? For that to happen, what resources do I need? Where do I find those resources? Again, note the lack of people/feelings in the process.

6. I mentioned a "new task", what about a task that is no longer new? Te seeks to create a standard process to deal with each task. Once that simplified, logical, mechanical process is created, then... it executes it mechanically and without much thought. I will never seek to find new ways of doing things or do things differently just to spice things up. I only care about the one that gets the job done faster and better. Once I find that, I go with that. If I find something that improves the model, I immediately adopt that and go with that.

7. As you can see, Te is very task-centric. Tell me what you want done and it'll make a way to get it done. Well, sometimes that way can include stepping over people's feelings. It's not that I don't care about what others feel/think, as much as it is that the task NEEDS to get done. This need is perceived as a sort of urgency. Don't get me wrong, I procrastinate and am lazy like everyone else, but ultimately I will get it done on time, even if I have to force myself to do it. In handling unpleasant tasks, I enter this mental mode where I suppress all my feelings and just bulldoze my way through it. I won't care if I'm rude to people or even about the final quality of the work, as long as it's done.

8. This is related to the lower Fi (inferior in my case), since they work in tandem. I keep giving this example and I will repeat it here, but my internal state is normally a sort of emptiness, not happy, not sad, not ecstatic, not depressed, just neutral, maybe slightly bored. Feelings are for the most part non-existent, anger is the only one that happens more frequently, and by more frequently I mean I get angry like once a week. When they do occur, feelings are either bland or extreme, like they're never the intensity others experience. Things that outrage a lot of people, I may not even notice or I might be slightly displeased. When others laugh their asses off, I might be slightly amused. In very rare cases, they are extreme and always in relation to people: if I like you, I LIKE YOU! If I hate you, I HATE YOU! There's not much middle ground.

9. In communicating, Te is flat and emotionless. It communicates in a factual manner and doesn't do hyperbole or drama, actually it strives to be accurate (I don't like exaggerations where everything is a disaster or fantastic). Te is direct. For example, if I like someone I will straight up say it: I like you. No games, no nothing. You'll know where we stand. Often people try to read between the lines in things that I say. There's nothing between the lines, if Te wants to say something, it will say it, without any hidden meanings.

So this is all I can come up with right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts