Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done a piece of homework for the last three years.
I know I have to do it, but I procrastinate until the eleventh hour, and then cant be bothered to do it ( either because I have got distracted or because I cba).
When the teacher asks why I haven't, I am extrodinarliy good at coming up with an excuse, and have never had a detention. It's like a game between me and my teachers.
My friends are astounded that I can get out of anything, and are starting to think i'm sly etc.
I feel like I have an "inner me" that nobody knows.
My grades are slipping.
Help?

Reactions: justjay

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Aside from A-level coursework which actually counts towards my end-of-year grades I haven't really done homework since about 2008, and at GCSE I did pretty well by copying everyone else. Not saying it's at all a good idea (I sailed through my GCSEs with no revision or homework and got Bs and Cs, and I was disappointed. Not surprised, mind), but I think it comes down to inner and outer motivation. Outer motivation is derived from the homework being a challenge and counting for something; as far as you're concerned I didn't find that happened until A-level, and even then, rarely.

I don't think you can do anything about that, honestly. If it doesn't seem worthwhile then you're going to have trouble doing it. Repetitive work which is rewarded upon completion with more repetitive work, eating into your own time, is something a lot of students struggle to be thrilled by, and it ain't all your fault, although it does (arguably) exist for a reason.
As an INFP (or INTP, I see you changed your mind in the past few hours) I think it's something you are predisposed to have difficulty towards.

Inner motivation is something which isn't really specific to homework, more an issue of learning to generally tackle procrastination. I haven't cracked that yet either, but scheduling your day, building some sort of structure, setting aside distractions, all that stuff will work. If you make it a part of your day then eventually it will get done.

In my opinion it's not hugely important now, but it will become very important in a couple of years as you begin to worry about sixth form, assuming you want to go through with that. The sooner you learn to tackle it the better because it takes time to form habits. Same techniques that apply to getting homework done apply equally to getting revision done, and that is what really counts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I procrastinate way too much too but I regularly maintain an A and A- average. If it's trouble with procrastination I suggest you take an hour off after you get home of down time and then start on your homework. That's what I usually do. If you are concerned about changing your ways because of your reputation, I think that grades are more important especially if it is going on your personal record. Also, that is amazing that you have gotten past 3 years with doing no homework and your excuses must be great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts