Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I even knew what that MBTI was really all about, a friend of mine who appears to be really good at typing said I was the epitome of an ENFP.

When I read about ENFPs, I *feel* like I fit the description. I'm DEFINITELY an F. Like, 100%. I'm more P than J, but in the tests I've taken it's always been close. Once it was only 1% P. I've finally decided I'm an E. I feel more N than S, but there is a lot of S in me.

However, when I read about the functions, my functions don't fit at all. When I took the keys2cognition test, I got the results in my sig, which make no sense. When I read about the functions, I REALLY, SUPER identified with Fe and Ne, but that would mean I am ESFJ, ENTP, INTP, or ISFJ. I'm NOT an SJ, and I'm definitely not an NT.

I also relate on a lesser degree to Si and idk, I don't feel like any T relates to me.

What to think?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I had always thought you might be an ENFJ for some reason...An ENFJ would be Fe-Ni-Se-Ti.
What do you think about that?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking ENFJ for a bit too, but I just really related to Ne when I read it. The whole thing about getting your creativity from other people, running with other people's ideas to make them my own, etc. I've yet to read an Ni description that I really related to.

·
11,928 Posts
I was thinking ENFJ for a bit too, but I just really related to Ne when I read it. The whole thing about getting your creativity from other people, running with other people's ideas to make them my own, etc. I've yet to read an Ni description that I really related to.
Can you go into more detail on the ways you can relate to Ne and Ni?

Reactions: kaycee

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Yeah, I was also going to say ENFJ before I saw Laura's post. But I don't know where your Ne is coming from. How did you score on Ni?

Do you hyper focus on a vision? Or a single possibility? My ENFJ girlfriend will see "flashes". For instance, one day she told me she was "going to live the rest of her life without her ex in her life." She had just scene a "vision" all the way to the end. She "saw" in her mind her living out the rest of her days never speaking to her ex again.

My Ne doesn't do this. I see tons of possibilities at the same time. And I am "connecting" various things all the time.

My ENFJ girlfriend is also more concerned about a social standard. She is leery of basing things on individual standard. This is where we differ. I am curious to know your scores?

Reactions: kaycee and Vaka

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was also going to say ENFJ before I saw Laura's post. But I don't know where your Ne is coming from. How did you score on Ni?

Do you hyper focus on a vision? Or a single possibility? My ENFJ girlfriend will see "flashes". For instance, one day she told me she was "going to live the rest of her life without her ex in her life." She had just scene a "vision" all the way to the end. She "saw" in her mind her living out the rest of her days never speaking to her ex again.

My Ne doesn't do this. I see tons of possibilities at the same time. And I am "connecting" various things all the time.

My ENFJ girlfriend is also more concerned about a social standard. She is leery of basing things on individual standard. This is where we differ. I am curious to know your scores?
No, I'm more like you. I have all sorts of ideas and I do not like being forced to choose or being tied down to only one. I feel really scared when I know I have to make a final decision about something. This tends to make me get really excited at the beginning of projects, but rarely see them through to completion unless forced to. And when I am forced to, the end of whatever I am doing is rushed because I put it off. I also get bored with the details, so I NEVER go back to proof read school assignments or double check stuff I do.

These were my K2C scores: Fe (49.1)*Fi (39.9)*Ne (31.9)*Se (26.8)*Ni=Te (24.7)*Ti (21.8)*Si (21.1)

Can I ask you and Lara why you thought ENFJ?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
No, I'm more like you. I have all sorts of ideas and I do not like being forced to choose or being tied down to only one. I feel really scared when I know I have to make a final decision about something. This tends to make me get really excited at the beginning of projects, but rarely see them through to completion unless forced to. And when I am forced to, the end of whatever I am doing is rushed because I put it off. I also get bored with the details, so I NEVER go back to proof read school assignments or double check stuff I do.

These were my K2C scores: Fe (49.1)*Fi (39.9)*Ne (31.9)*Se (26.8)*Ni=Te (24.7)*Ti (21.8)*Si (21.1)

I just felt you had some strong Fe. However, I think a lot of us do when we are younger perhaps. It has to do with the social conscious thing and peer group pressure.

Have you read up on the functions and know the difference between Fe and Fi? Perhaps it would help when you test. By what you just described to me, you sound like you could be more ENFP.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just felt you had some strong Fe. However, I think a lot of us do when we are younger perhaps. It has to do with the social conscious thing and peer group pressure.

Have you read up on the functions and know the difference between Fe and Fi? Perhaps it would help when you test. By what you just described to me, you sound like you could be more ENFP.
I read the posts by Psilo about Fi and Fe, and I did feel I related more to Fe. I definitely try for harmonious relationships at all times. If it is not attained, I feel like I failed. I feed off the emotions of others. If others are happy, I feel happy. If they are angry, I feel angry. I don't have a lot of my own emotions. I AM very susceptible to praise and criticism, and I feel I am what the last thing that was said about me was. I do sacrifice a lot for the people in my life even when it will hurt me mentally/emotionally.

p.s. I really appreciate the insights!

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I read the posts by Psilo about Fi and Fe, and I did feel I related more to Fe. I definitely try for harmonious relationships at all times. If it is not attained, I feel like I failed. I feed off the emotions of others. If others are happy, I feel happy. If they are angry, I feel angry. I don't have a lot of my own emotions. I AM very susceptible to praise and criticism, and I feel I am what the last thing that was said about me was. I do sacrifice a lot for the people in my life even when it will hurt me mentally/emotionally.

p.s. I really appreciate the insights!
How are you when it comes to going with flow of a group? Do you tend to do things because "it is right" or are you more motivated by your personal values?

With Fi, I can be an emotional amoeba. I allow myself to feel what others are feeling. That is how I can connect with them. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Because if someone is hurting me or angry at me, it can feel like I'm doing that to myself. It's a terrible feeling. Inner harmony is very important to me.

You may not have done enough work to recognize all your emotions and the reasons why you do certain things, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have Fe. How do you feel about needing a consensus in order to justify your behaviors?

Usually, people with strong Fi have an incredible need to feel like individuals. How are you socially? Are you taking care of others because "one should"? Or are you doing it because it satisfies something within you?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are you when it comes to going with flow of a group? Do you tend to do things because "it is right" or are you more motivated by your personal values?

With Fi, I can be an emotional amoeba. I allow myself to feel what others are feeling. That is how I can connect with them. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Because if someone is hurting me or angry at me, it can feel like I'm doing that to myself. It's a terrible feeling. Inner harmony is very important to me.

You may not have done enough work to recognize all your emotions and the reasons why you do certain things, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have Fe. How do you feel about needing a consensus in order to justify your behaviors?

Usually, people with strong Fi have an incredible need to feel like individuals. How are you socially? Are you taking care of others because "one should"? Or are you doing it because it satisfies something within you?
I can definitely relate to the bold part.

When it comes to a group, I will not go with the flow if I feel really strongly about something. I'm not even sure what you mean when you ask if I do stuff because it's right or because it goes along with my personal values. I mean, when I do stuff based on my personal values, I do it because I feel it IS right. Not sure if that gives you any more insight :laughing:

I don't necessarily look for a consensus when I make a decision, but I do, however, often look to the people I trust to confirm that I did the right thing. I guess I just don't often trust myself enough.

Socially, it can go both ways. I often do things for my friends or family out of obligation, but I am going into the counseling field because I WANT to help people and make a difference.

I suppose I do like to feel like an individual, but I can get self-conscious if I am TOO much of an individual since I also have a strong desire to be liked.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Your double F score follows a pattern of results, that usually, not always, but usually suggests, that you're a dominant Feeler. Those types are ENFJ, ESFJ, INFP, and ISFP, as they lead with the F functions. As for differences, using my own interactions as an example, I notice Fe scolds me a lot, for being a lowlife bastard, because of all the apparently immoral things I do. Fi users usually look beyond my immoral acts, trying to find my motivations, to understand them, desperate to find an ounce of something redeemable in me, whether or not it's actually there. Meanwhile, Fe users will just write me off and be done with me. Fe is a constant emphasis on the other, the external. It's more rigid, more black and white. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong, and it will not hesitate to tell you so, much like Te will not hesitate to tell you where you've made a logical error, while Ti might search beyond the facts and data, to understand your logic. Fe is also following social graces, being polite, being considerate, thoughtful, etc. However, pretty much everyone can pull that part of it or learn it. It's actual Fe, when your concerns and motivations are entirely with the good of the other person or doing right by them. It's something else, when you're only kissing ass for personal gain.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, in that explanation, I feel like I have a lot more Fi.

I really like how you explained that. Could you explain Ne vs. Ni a bit for me?

·
11,928 Posts
It was just the vibes you give off :laughing:
...sorry, I don't have a better answer :mellow:

In what ways do you feel you can relate to both Ni and Ne, though?--I know that you just asked Big Bad Wolf to explain them--I don't really understand Ni too well, but I'm still curious and I do have a small understanding of it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually really only feel like I relate to Ne.

And the reason I came to that conclusion was a post on PerC about Ni and Ne.

Ne Preference and Interpersonal Interaction

Ne is the easier to understand of the two; Ne has the attitude of preferring to extrapolate ideas from external stimulus. As the dominant Ne types you will see in ENTPs and ENFPs have a tendency to seek out stimulating ideas from interaction with others.

These types often lament that they feel like 'knowledge thieves' taking others ideas and seeing alternate uses for them; of course what they may not realise is that they have a greater ability to spontaneously modify this idea (sometimes wildly) and find a new idea that few others may have brought to fruition before.

This therefore teaches dominant Ne users that interpersonal reaction and stimulus giving is a 'good thing'. Thus if they feel they wish to improve their interactions with another person (shower them with love/make friends etc.) they will have a natural reaction of delivering large amounts of stimulus to that person and expect the same in return.

Ni Preference and Interpersonal Interaction

Ni has a more complex definition that I have failed to see anyone accurately define at all. Ni has the attitude of preferring to interpolate optimum systems from ideas based upon internal stimulus. This gives the dominant Ni types, the INTJ and INFJ's a focus on 'key symbolic ideas' which can be brought forward and optimized to build structure. Because Ni reacts to internal stimulus, these types will be external stimulus avoidant (sic. human interaction) as they would prefer space to help them solve whatever symbolic problem is running in their head.

In human interaction these types often appear acutely observant; although they may have phased out to deal with some lingering internal conundrum. The support function adds considerably more definition to interaction as it is the external aspect. INTJs when they flip from Ni to Te will appear critical, viewing ideas as systems to be interpolated and optimized to solve any outstanding problems or to develop their understanding of ideas, with Ni providing a symbolic focus on the key aspects. INFJs will appear giving, with Fe actualising a need to empathically share what they view are the iconic themes that are driving them; expect lots of subtle but powerful emotional gestures based upon others needs.

Therefore, dominant Ni users view intrapersonal thinking and blocking out external stimulus as the preferred opportunity available to them. If they they feel they wish to make friends or express love to another they will do so by interacting via. their secondary external aspect while dotting it with key iconic themes that their Ni prefers. They will then retreat to allow the other time to digest the concept as they would do themselves, regardless of the partner’s preference. As they wish significant space and time to flex their Ni, they expect others also to wish it as a consequence.
I bolded what I felt really applied to me. I don't relate to anything about Ni in this explanation. I am probably the least symbolic person you will ever meet LOL.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ni is the jedi force. lol Eh, I've still yet to see a definition for it, that I could really apply, because there's never consensus amongst the proclaimed Ni users. I've seen a fair amount of NFJ's talk about the vision thing Pink mentioned, believing themselves psychic, at times. However, I've never, ever seen an NTJ talk about it, that way. The easiest thing I've seen to relate to it, is the ability to shift perspectives or read perceptions. NFJ's are said to be excellent people readers, but it's more of an ability to know what perceptions generally are. For instance, if you are a professor, and you go in to teach class looking like a bum, even if you're a leading professor in the subject, if your class doesn't know that, you're not usually gonna be listened to or given respect. If you're not a good professor, but you go in to the class, decked out in a suit, people are more apt to give you respect and assume you know what you're talking about. Ni is aware of the symbolism in the image, that you're attempting to convey. Shifting perspectives, could deal with facing a difficult situation, that you don't want to deal with. You change it around in your head, seeing it as something more positive, and that gives you the ability to deal with it. "I hate doing this class work. It's boring and it sucks." That becomes, "If I ace this class, it will look better on my resume for the company. I'll have a better chance to get the job, than my peers who didn't." As an ESFP once put it to me, there's some good and bad in everything. Ni can see both.

Ne, well, it's easier for me to see Ne in NTP's. For instance, INTP's starting threads around pure hypothetical "What if?" questions. It may be things, that will never occur in this reality, ever, and therefore are completely useless things to know. They still want to consider them and known them. ENTP's debating contexts, that I would regard as irrelevant. Like arguing biological fact, when a subjective opinion was asked for. Ne always has a sense of being off in left field, until the Ne user comes back and connects the dots, then even if I don't agree with their viewpoint, I'm at least aware of where it came from, when initially I usually wonder what the hell they're on about. "Wait, what does your grandmother's, best friend's Parakeet, Nathaniel have to do with nihilism?" Ten minutes later, I understand. I'm bewildered by the fact, that they could connect these things together, but I understand.

Ni is linear, straight A to Z, even in the example Pink gave you, her friend saw an absolute. Ne is scattered, it may find Z, but not until it's gone through every other letter in the alphabet and the kitchen sink, while it's at it.

·
11,928 Posts
At one point, I was thinking that I might be an INFJ. But I'm totally not :crazy:

According to InvisibleJim, Ni-users try to avoid external stimulation, why is that? I still don't get how Ni works, completely...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think this may have been what Jim was getting at.

Taken from Naomi Quenk's, Was That Really Me?

Extraverting Versus Introverting the Perceiving Process

"Bill, an INTJ (dominant introverted Intuition), and his wife, Arlene, an INFP (auxiliary extraverted Intuition), spent a week at an artist’s colony in New England. Later, Arlene remarked that she had enjoyed participating, at least peripherally, in some of the more unconventional activities at the colony and thought she could get caught up in it for a while if she spent more time there. Bill saw his wife’s statement as evidence of a possible character flaw, suggesting a failure on her part to maintain strong, unalterable values. He indicated that he had no such urges and was immune to any dubious attraction to what he termed “immoral” behaviors.

How can we account for the different reactions of Bill and Arlene? Remember that the people who extravert their perceiving function are those whose type ends with the letter P. These are ENTP, ENFP, ESTP, ESFP, INTP, INFP, ISTP, and ISFP. Of course, all of these types introvert their judging function. But the external focus of their perception makes it likely that they will easily change and adapt to a changing outer environment, even having a “chameleonlike” tendency to take on the behaviors and values of people in different contexts.

The people who introvert their perceiving function are those whose type ends with the letter J.These are ENTJ,ENFJ, ESTJ, ESFJ, INTJ, INFJ, ISTJ, and ISFJ. Because these types’ perceiving focus is internal, their inner perceptions have a constancy and predictability from one circumstance to the next. All of these types extravert their preferred judging process. Bill seemed to confuse Arlene’s openness to new data with a readiness to change her basic moral standards (as embodied in her dominant Introverted Feeling). He did not experience the “pull” of the outer environment himself, for his own perceiving focus is internal and not easily amenable to outside influences.

The fact that J types, who extravert their judging function, like to control and regulate and are more comfortable in a predictable environment is reinforced by their introverting of their perceiving function. This makes the outer environment less salient than it is for those who extravert their perceiving function. For the Extraverted Perceiving types, who introvert their preferred judging function, the basic decision-making structure (Thinking or Feeling) remains constant and secure. But in their efforts to fully observe or experience their environment, they may appear to have shifting and unreliable judgments."

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, yes then, I am *definitely* Ne, and from your other post, Fi seems to fit.

I really appreciate this. I'm getting a much better understanding of myself and the functions.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think type also gets confusing because of shadow mode - I mean none of us hang only within one personality preference all of the time. My shadow mode is ENFP so I can also related to having Ne and Fi function sometimes. But I know that most of my time I spend in the serious introverted INFJ mode. If I am not stressed by environment in any manner that's where how my mindset is going to work out. However at times something happens and I become very happy, random, creative, also moody and inconsistent and develop attention deficit. I believe that is expression of my ENFP mode. Hence yes even though I am INFJ I also get decent glimpses into functionings of Ne and Fi but Ne especially.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
A couple of more examples from the book, that you might find useful. All credit to Naomi Quenk, blah, blah, blah. lol

"Is Feeling Extraverted or Introverted?

George, an ENFJ (dominant Extraverted Feeling), hired Ellen, an INFP (dominant Introverted Feeling), to edit his book manuscript. Ellen was gratified to learn that the edited manuscript had been accepted for publication by a prestigious university press. This news confirmed her feeling that she had done a good job. She was embarrassed, however, when George, who had already paid her for her work, took her out to dinner and presented her with an expensive gift to show his appreciation. Rather than increasing her confidence in her work, this seemingly excessive display of gratitude made Ellen distrust George’s judgment of her. His unbounded enthusiasm seemed to indicate to her a lack of discrimination.

This is a good example of how Introverted Feeling types focus on inner harmony and being at peace within themselves, whereas Extraverted Feeling types devote their energy to maintaining harmony in the outer world. George was merely sharing his delight in his success with someone he felt had contributed greatly to it. He would have been puzzled and shocked had he known about Ellen’s reaction, which she did not reveal to him.

*Bolded, because Ji types, Fi and Ti, don't often disclose their judgments. Which is mentioned a few times in other places, throughout the book.

Is Intuition Extraverted or Introverted? Yolanda, an ENFP, feels that she is frequently criticized and put down for her ideas. As a dominant Extraverted Intuitive type, she talks about her ideas as they are being formed, before she subjects them to her own critical judgment. In contrast, Hal,an INFJ (dominant Introverted Intuitive type), keeps his ideas to himself for a long time before sharing them. He wants to ensure that his ideas are seen as only ideas, and not as finalized, worked-out systems. When he does talk about his ideas, he uses disclaimers, emphasizing their tentative nature.

Dominant Introverted Intuitive types tend to focus primarily on ideas and possibilities at a conceptual level and to focus on the essence of those inner ideas that are certain. Introverted Intuition is tuned in to inner interconnected possibilities that may take the form of complex theories, models, and the like.Their relevance to the outer world is usually secondary, so only well-thought-out and important ideas are shared with others.

Dominant Extraverted Intuitive types tend to be more attracted to a wide range of possibilities in the outer environment, readily sharing them with others as ideas to be explored and applying those ideas in the outer world. So Yolanda, in sharing her ideas before she has critiqued them herself, risks being misunderstood by others. Hal, in initially keeping his ideas to himself, misses out on feedback that might help him further shape his ideas."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts