Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone says something to me that is really pointless and unhelpful I instantly interpret it as sarcasm thinking no one is seriously that dumb.

Turns out they are. And now their feelings are hurt because of how I responded.

There is the self-awareness factoid for the day. No need to thank me. But do anyway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit but actually mostly no.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had a bad experience on another forum for a medicine I am taking and all the moderators are pissed at me. I'm thinking to myself like honestly I'm sorry I just had no idea you were actually that stupid I thought you must be kidding. After thinking about this I realize this constantly happens to me, online and in real life. I'm really going to try to improve because I think I'll save a lot of time and get more done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
People are dumb.

I have the exact same problem - only reversed. I tend to think some sarcasm/jokes are meant genuinely. Your pain is shared, bro. It's shared.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
314 Posts
Happens to me all the time...I usually ask "wait, are you serious?" which they take the wrong way; I'm not trying to be mean, I genuinely want to know if they are being serious.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about you but I can be overly-aggressive and tactless so it makes it even worse.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's weird because after I look back on my experience, because you know hindsight is 20/20, I still feel the same way. Definitely stupidity. Nice try though.

I've noticed that anytime I get harassed on this forum you always thank the post of that person. Do you have nothing better to do but mess up my posts and thank people who disagree with me? Are you bitter because I made fun of women? Are you just lonely and secretly desire my attention? No I know you're mad because I said I didn't like INFJ's. Well they are alright I guess but it seems they mostly don't like me so I respond by not liking them back. I think you are quickly becoming one of those.

P.S. You're weird.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well it's weird because after I look back on my experience, because you know hindsight is 20/20, I still feel the same way. Definitely stupidity. Nice try though.

I've noticed that anytime I get harassed on this forum you always thank the post of that person. Do you have nothing better to do but mess up my posts and thank people who disagree with me? Are you bitter because I made fun of women? Are you just lonely and secretly desire my attention? No I know you're mad because I said I didn't like INFJ's. Well they are alright I guess but it seems they mostly don't like me so I respond by not liking them back. I think you are quickly becoming one of those.

P.S. You're weird.
LOL. Just...lol. I think you're cool, bro-face, if that makes it any better. :cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
People are dumb.

I have the exact same problem - only reversed. I tend to think some sarcasm/jokes are meant genuinely. Your pain is shared, bro. It's shared.
INTPs with their inferior Fe tend to have trouble interpreting things like sarcasm. We'll often misjudge someone's intended meaning. It sounds like that's what's going on here, and I can definitely relate. Strangely, it's also said that INTP's themselves have very sarcastic humor.

It happens to me ALL the time. I've gotten to the point with some people where I just have to ask them or say "I honestly have no idea if you're joking.". This is, of course, because my response will be different depending on whether or not they're joking, but they just see it as evidence of my being dumb. -self pity- =[

As for the thread starter, my internal framework of logic often judges (note: 'judging' is not inherently bad) people as dumb like you seem to be doing. It's actually offensive to me when people say things/make claims that they clearly haven't properly reasoned out yet (at least to some extent). I typically deal with it by being sarcastic and trying to get them to laugh at themselves with me. That way, I feel like less of an ass, but over the internet it can be quite difficult.

Most people don't get offended by logical errors, but some of the NT's I've spoken to seem to take it quite personally. This makes it difficult to take it seriously when people say seemingly unthoughtful things. Because if they're being serious, it's almost insulting that they'd make such an error.
While no one wants to admit that their way of thinking is wrong (of course mine isn't), to get along we sometimes just have to look past it. I mean, sensors probably think we're pretty dumb for pulling on a push door or almost walking into traffic.

Edit: That was a little off topic. I apologize but hope that it will be useful/interesting to someone nonetheless.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Your entire premise is built on quicksand. Just saying. (Omigawd, a FRAGMENT! TEHZ WORLD IZ ENNDIG!) I think your ego has gone too far.

I honestly empathize with you. I hope you can get a good counselor. :dry:

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was a really inspiring post. Thanks for contributing. It made a lot of sense.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thank you. I know I was, am, and will always be right.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're so arrogant. So "unbecoming" Mrs. Mendeleev. I think people could really like you if you would just calm down. :wink:

·
Registered
988 Posts
You're so arrogant. So "unbecoming" Mrs. Mendeleev. I think people could really like you if you would just calm down. :wink:
Probably, j3321, but I refuse. I think we have common ground.

:wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When someone says something to me that is really pointless and unhelpful I instantly interpret it as sarcasm thinking no one is seriously that dumb.

Turns out they are. And now their feelings are hurt because of how I responded.
I've seen INTPs do this. In my opinion it is due to your interpretation of intelligence. I try and think of intelligence in spheres of strengths and weaknesses. For example, your smart in the typical sense but not so great at interpreting people, especially quickly. For someone else it might be the opposite and I don't see it as bad, just different. Think of all the jobs you don't have the "intelligence" to do well in.

That said, I don't necessarily have to spend time with someone I think is dumb and don't care for, but I do try to understand them first. At least it's interesting and you come off as a nicer person.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen INTJ's try to explain away obvious truths spoken in a semi-joking way using bogus cognitive function theory. It was really weird. Hopefully it wont' happen again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts