Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while.

While I'm incredibly good at memorization, chemistry is tricking me. I want an A by the end of the semester and the semester is almost halfway done, but right now I have a C.

I watch videos on youtube, I go to the professor's office hours (all three actually) and have lengthy discussions with her on the topics until I understand them.

However, I clearly don't understand it well enough if I am getting C's, D's, and sadly F's on my quizzes.

She did however, recommend a textbook on chemistry for me to read and I ordered this online yesterday...

Where am I going wrong?

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,176 Posts
Perhaps your studying wrong? Try answering tests and marking the answers to find where you are going wrong. Also find out how you learn and revise most effectively.

If there is something you don't understand, start with the basics first. Chemistry is a tricky subject when you don't understand the reason for all the patterns, trends and properties.

If you have any questions in particular you could ask me if you want, and I will try and explain. I study science:)

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps your studying wrong? Try answering tests and marking the answers to find where you are going wrong. Also find out how you learn and revise most effectively.

If there is something you don't understand, start with the basics first. Chemistry is a tricky subject when you don't understand the reason for all the patterns, trends and properties.

If you have any questions in particular you could ask me if you want, and I will try and explain. I study science:)
What exactly do you mean marking the answers? I'm very curious haha.

Also I love the avatar.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,176 Posts
What exactly do you mean marking the answers? I'm very curious haha.

Also I love the avatar.
Answering all the questions then using the answers section (if there is one) to mark your own check test/practice paper

thanks!:3

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answering all the questions then using the answers section (if there is one) to mark your own check test/practice paper

thanks!:3
Oh okay, yeah I've been doing that. I just took a quick learning style test and I got visual which is true because I remember in my biology course I would take my notes myself from the text and then make flashcards after lecture.

What kind are you?

You're welcome!

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,176 Posts
Oh okay, yeah I've been doing that. I just took a quick learning style test and I got visual which is true because I remember in my biology course I would take my notes myself from the text and then make flashcards after lecture.

What kind are you?

You're welcome!
one of my chemistry teachers did the learning style test with us too :eek: I got visual. I use flashcards and tests for learning but also find diagrams and symbols useful so guess visual makes sense in that regard.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of my chemistry teachers did the learning style test with us too :eek: I got visual. I use flashcards and tests for learning but also find diagrams and symbols useful so guess visual makes sense in that regard.
Alrighty! I'll make some flash cards tonight then :) Thanks.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
Can't the teacher tell you why you make mistakes? Can't you discuss with her about how to solve the problems and what you don't understand?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
What kind of questions are on the quizzes and homework?? If you could post an example of one you missed, that would be cool. If we knew what part of chemistry your class covers, we could give you specialized tips.

I don't know why you're getting bad grades if you go to all the teacher's office hours! What scores do other people make in that class?

It sounds like the questions on the quizzes are not about memorizing facts. They are probably about applying concepts. You said that you're good at memorizing things and you're a visual learner too. The Periodic Table is a highly visual structure. Try to memorize the Table. The point of memorizing it—with all the little details like the electron shells and valence electrons—is so you can apply it. Better yet, print out a bunch of Periodic Tables and write different sets of information on each copy. Expand that table to what you need.

Remember that flashcards mainly help with memorizing, which you already have no deficit in. Having thorough flashcards does not guarantee and A. Another study question: How do the facts you learn apply to things that are not on the quizzes?

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while.

While I'm incredibly good at memorization, chemistry is tricking me. I want an A by the end of the semester and the semester is almost halfway done, but right now I have a C.

I watch videos on youtube, I go to the professor's office hours (all three actually) and have lengthy discussions with her on the topics until I understand them.

However, I clearly don't understand it well enough if I am getting C's, D's, and sadly F's on my quizzes.

She did however, recommend a textbook on chemistry for me to read and I ordered this online yesterday...

Where am I going wrong?
Go to the village, unlock the side quest, and find the one called @chemistress . She will be able to unlock the secrets of valence by way of the Lewis structure, tell why aprotic systems such as antimony trichloride undergo dissociation into dichloroantimonium and tetrachloroantimonate, and reveal why the meeting of hydrogen chalcogenide and the simplest hydride of tellurium smells like a rotting corpse.

Well... 50/50 chance, that is. She's either Chemistress, ie, 'The empress of chemistry' - or she's Chemistress, ie, a one letter mispelling of 'Chemistry is stress'. Or... it wasn't misspelled, and she meant to say Chemistress, ie, 'chemistry = a tress (a long lock of woman's hair)'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did someone call?

Slagasauras, please note that you should not attempt to unlock the side quest unless you have farmed for a minimum of seventy-two hours in a textbook and slayed the sample-problem ogres in the dungeons.

You're half-right, @Despotic Ocelot - Chemistress is a pun on chemistry and stress.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
I study science:)

chemistry

Chemistry is a tricky subject when you don't understand the reason for all the patterns

• Periodic Pattern - Dissecting Table
(not on youtube lol)

What exactly do you mean marking the answers?

• Cheat Code - Mobile Space Unit
(not on youtube lol)

I don't know why you're getting bad grades if you go to all the teacher's office hours!
Because he's...

Duh :tongues:

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Slagasauras, please note that you should not attempt to unlock the side quest unless you have farmed for a minimum of seventy-two hours in a textbook and slayed the sample-problem ogres in the dungeons.
Hahahahaha :rolling:

I have to say, 'the sample problem ogres' is now one of my favorite terms ever hahahahaha :laughin:

chemistress said:
You're half-right, @Despotic Ocelot - Chemistress is a pun on chemistry and stress.
Whoa. I was 70% sure it was Chemistry + Empress haha.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If they were breast, I'd say your lucky:blushed:. I got a 94 in high school, maybe I can help?

Reactions: Slagasauras

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't the teacher tell you why you make mistakes? Can't you discuss with her about how to solve the problems and what you don't understand?
Hm, after every quiz she pulls up an answer key she did and goes through where we all make mistakes. Perhaps I need something one on one and should go to her office hours?

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
Hm, after every quiz she pulls up an answer key she did and goes through where we all make mistakes. Perhaps I need something one on one and should go to her office hours?
Yes exactly, you need to talk to her in private so she can tell you exactly where you need to focus on your studies.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did someone call?

I'm so confused right now haha.

·
Banned
687 Posts
"Chemistry" is a bit vague; I definitely utilized different approaches when studying gen chem, o chem, p chem and biochem, simply because some were more memorization based, some were more conceptual and some were more math focused.

I also never used videos; I 100% need to read material in order to process it, and if it's like p chem or areas in gen chem then the best way to get good is solving different problems on your own.

Understanding science requires curiosity; an inherent desire to learn and understand. Keep asking why. Sn1 or sn2 reaction? Covalent or ionic? Determining an acid or a base just by looking at the chemical structure of a compound? Lewis acid versus a bronsted lowry acid? These distinctions are being made for a reason and chemistry loves to test your understanding of these distinctions, and I think people get confused because initially these distinctions can seem subtle, arbitrary or not very significant.

You can talk to your instructor till you're blue in the face but everything they tell you you're able to find out on your own. If you get homework or quizzes then google these questions to see if the question appears in any other online tests. Thermochesmistry, acid base equilibrium, chemical kinetics; virtually any subject your instructor tests you on will have other online tests available to prepare you for the material. Study them, study your pretests, study your homework, study previous tests; not only should you be able to answer all these questions, but you should also be able to answer them if you try rewording the questions slightly as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts