Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want apologize for the randomness of this post.
I'll try to edit myself and reorganize as much as necessary to maintain a decent grammar level as well as write a flowing readable post.
Now, to the meat of the matter!

First item of evidence, test results for this site:

Introversion (I): |||||||||||||||||| 72.97%
Extroversion (E): ||||||| 27.03%

Intuition (N): ||||||||||||||| 61.76%
Sensation (S): |||||||||| 38.24%

Thinking (T): ||||||||||||||||||||||||| 100%
Feeling (F): 0%

Judging (J): |||| 15.15%
Perceiving (P): ||||||||||||||||||||| 84.85%

It appears that obviously I'm a thinker, right?
WRONG.
I've read up on both the INFP and INTP and as far as I can tell I use both functions somewhat interchangeably.
Fi and Ti are both super-present in my psyche.
Ne is obviously my secondary function for both and is my main external information source.

An enneagram test I took recently put me as 5w6 and 7 and 9 tied for tertiary.
My 4 flares up when I'm emotionally perturbed.
My variant goes sp/so/sx, so the introversion shows itself here.

Now, since I use intuition in my search for information, I often times end up using it to gather the emotional level of a room or of a specific set of subjects.
And being an introverted perceiver, I internalize this information and it often times disrupts my own emotional level.
I will often freak out in large crowds when in a group of my peers and a love interest.
I try to function on the emotional level of the group I'm in but the extreme input of the crowds in addition to the group dynamic as well as the inadvertent input from the love interest, its an overload and I freak out. No real better way to put it.

An experience I had of this is when a group of friends and I went to the fair.
About 2 hours in I went ballistic and freaked and left the group and meandered on my own.
My GF was in this crowd and I even abandoned her in my need to escape.
Later I rejoined the group for a little while, still emotionally wrought out, and was received in a somewhat unwanted and, what I deemed, a semi-hostile manner.
I left the group again to go sit in the car and decompress (you can't tell I'm an introvert through and through) and to hide away from everything.

I've always tested INTP, but from reading over on personalitypage.com, the INFP's sense of emotions isn't present in the INTP's standard issue profile.
Often far from it actually.
And as you can see, according to the test, my results are shockingly a T.
I test strong in the T function every time; Actually each time I take the test, its never under 70%.
But, the INFP's ever present search for underlying meanings in things is there with me as well.

I need to have a love of my work to hold onto a job as well.
I have quit jobs because I was only there for a paycheck.

The perfectionist trait in most present in me, but mostly over myself.
Major lack of self worth as well as a present unwillingness to leave my comfort zone has brought me to the dreaded and probably common lack of direction.
As I have aged, I have developed a grander and grander vocabulary, and have used this to write poetry, essays, short novels and even am using it to type out this post on this forum.
I've always considered myself a skilled writer, as any self respecting INFP would (Oh, wait, there ARE NO self-respecting INFP's! :tongue:) .
Poetry has always been my thing, but not exactly something I wanted to share with everyone.
I've always been the person that people come to, to talk over their problems, to hold their hand and be a shoulder to cry on, or to help them get over something emotionally troubling.

I have pretty much all of the shared traits of the INxP personalities.
I have those "immovable" ideas and values that the INxP type fosters.
I reside with a total lack of interest in mundane and sometimes necessary things, such as cleaning or being on time :blushed:
I've had the urge to be a teacher to share the great wealth of possibilities that is known as math and physics, but never acted on it because of logical reasoning, such as 4+ years of school and god knows how much money for a $30k yearly salary.

Now, as for my Ti qualities, I'm quite good at impersonal analysis.
I have mastered the ability to look at things from a 3rd party's view, even when I'm an involved party.
Sometimes I say things without acknowledgement of the feelings of others around me, often being blunt and to the point.
I usually make decisions on what makes the most sense logically and what would be the optimal outcome.
I can "get in the zone" so as to speak when working on something somewhat perplexing and just rattle off details and have the ideas flow like no other.
In some instances, such as in video games, I'll be sucking pond-water, but then I'll just "zone" and completely dominate.
Or when working on math problems, I can dedicate full brain power to it and wipe it out mentally before most people have typed it up on their calculators (this has its limits of course as I only made it to geometry).
Or in my mental design of various things I would like to build or have seen built and just wanted to model in my mind.
I can often times mentally see the internal components of a machine just by viewing the input and output of the machine.
Theoretical physics has always been a favorite subject of mine.
Even though I only know the basic principals and a few of the more in depth reasons behind it, it has always intrigued me and I have spent many an hour conversing and pondering the meanings and how it can affect us as humans.
I quickly grasp logical ideas and can handle large quantities of information, given that is isn't too far over my head and is of interest.
I'm a total geek, so I fit that stereotype almost perfectly.

So, with all this evidence before you, what the hell am I?
I figured I'm an INXP with the two extremes rather than a middle ground.

Twitch

PS: and to throw a wrench in the works, since I'm about a 60/40 N/S, I use my sensory side sometimes as I like to work on cars and the ISTP's are "The Mechanics".

PPS: Being the introvert that I am and with the Fi side of me, I'm exposing myself seriously here, and if you think its going to be funny to poke fun at me in a demeaning or degrading way, don't.
I have a bad enough time fighting off the internal voices, I don't need the external voices backing them up.

Reactions: Karen

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well...you sound like an INTP to me. XD You're right about the Ti, I see a whole lot of it in this post, and though you *may* use Fi, I can't really see it here. You're super objective throughout (very un-Fi like), and while your Ne is apparent (though, not blatant), it's evident that even if there was enough Fi in your post to say for certain that you utilize it, there's a hell of a lot of Ti there.

I'm going to say you're probably INTP. MAYBE ISTP, but probably INTP. One thing I'm certain of - you're not an NF. :p

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, thank you for the quick response.
I was trying to keep this as objective as possible, so I guess there's a lot of Ti in there. :p
But I've had a friend (who's very well versed in MBTI) peg me as a INFP, as I often internalize the emotions of others.
Idk, I often times come across as an INTP when its impersonal interaction.
But when people get to know me they see an inner emotionally sensitive person.
I don't often share most of the information I posted.
And to be honest, I'm totally scared right now of someone trying to burn me and use this information against me somehow.
And that's completely irrational and feeler-esque, IMHO.

Twitch

PS: I'm not saying feelers are irrational, but their decisions sometimes are because of their basis of emotion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, I remember your intro thread. I was the one who mentioned also being torn between NT and NF. Welcome, again!

My opinion: I agree with Kelly617. You sound like an INTP. I think people depend so much on stereotypes that they really believe T types don't have feelings. Clearly, that is not true.

I've always been the person that people come to, to talk over their problems, to hold their hand and be a shoulder to cry on, or to help them get over something emotionally troubling.
I am sure I am INTJ but this is true of me, as well. How do you usually help them? When I am in this kind of situation, I usually try to find the underlying reason for their feelings and try to help them fix it. It is very different from how my ESFJ friend would be in such a situation but it is still just as valid and helpful.

But when people get to know me they see an inner emotionally sensitive person. I don't often share most of the information I posted.
And to be honest, I'm totally scared right now of someone trying to burn me and use this information against me somehow. And that's completely irrational and feeler-esque, IMHO.
That is not true at all. I posted in another thread how T types are often more emotionally sensitive than F types. It is sometimes difficult for T's to open up emotionally and when they do and get burned for it, it is much more painful for them than it may be for an F. Feeling types will always be feeling types, no matter how much they are burned; they can't just hide that part of themselves.

You could still be INFP, though. If that is the profile and the set of functions you think you relate to the most, then it is. After all, you know yourself more than we do. :)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, one thing I'm curious about is my extreme intuitivity about emotions and, for the lack of a better word, "auras".
I know that's not a Ti thing to pick up on, its much more of an Fi thing to grab onto.
Emotional disruption because of that doesn't seem to be a Ti thing either.

I wonder if I have a subconscious that turns on and turns off certain traits as it deems fit.
If I enter a group situation from an objective standpoint or with a walled off approach, I can sometimes avoid the emotional disruption that is often triggered by such experiences.
Now, I haven't been diagnosed professionally, but from my own research, I pretty much peg bi-polar.
I'm thinking this may have something to do with the war of Ti and Fi inside my mind.

Also, as was brought out in the MTBI awards thread, "Most Likely to Cry For No Reason" was awarded to the INFP a couple times.
I have that issue. I don't cry, but have periods of extreme sadness for no apparent reason.

Just more info to feed into the think tank that is PerC.
Thank you all again for your assistance in this matter.

Twitch

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I often times come across as an INTP when its impersonal interaction.
But when people get to know me they see an inner emotionally sensitive person.
I don't often share most of the information I posted.
This isn't a T/F thing more than an I/E thing.

And to be honest, I'm totally scared right now of someone trying to burn me and use this information against me somehow.
And that's completely irrational and feeler-esque, IMHO.
To go along with what Liara said, thinkers often *seem* less emotional and irrational than feelers because they're afraid of expressing their feelings in case their seen as...well...emotional and irrational. Feelers are often much more comfortable expressing themselves because they don't see it as being irrational, they see it as being human and having genuine concerns. Feelers are better able to justify any emotion, regardless of whether or not it seems "irrational", because if it's a feeling...it's totally valid regardless of how others percieve it. That's what feelings are.

Thinkers tend to be less in touch with their emotions, which makes them less capable of dealing with them when they come up, or expressing them at appropriate times. I would never worry about people using my feelings against me, I'm more concerned with people using my thoughts and opinions against me. My feelings are my own and I'm going to feel them regardless of what others think, so I don't worry as much about them. Thoughts I see as changable, so while I choose to think what I think, I don't choose to feel what I feel.

I was trying to keep this as objective as possible, so I guess there's a lot of Ti in there.
I see this as a thinker's approach also. Why would you try to be objective when talking about yourself and your innermost thoughts, feelings and reactions? XD You're coming at the whole typing thing as if it were an exact science, while it's much more about subjective thoughts, feelings and values.

Like @Liara said, we don't know you as well as you and the people IRL know you, so you could definitely still be an INFP, but going by this thread, you seem VERY INTP to me...which isn't a bad thing! I mentioned it before, but I used to type ENTP, because I honestly thought being a feeler meant being squishy and emotional and illogical all the time. It doesn't mean that at all, just like being a thinker doesn't mean you have to be cold, distant and unfeeling. It's more about how you react to the world and come to decisions, not about how nice you are. :D

EDIT: Gosh, quotes are failing today. XD

Reactions: lirulin

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So, one thing I'm curious about is my extreme intuitivity about emotions and, for the lack of a better word, "auras".
I know that's not a Ti thing to pick up on, its much more of an Fi thing to grab onto.
Emotional disruption because of that doesn't seem to be a Ti thing either.
Not Ti or Fi...this is your Ne. ;) ENTPs are REALLY good at this because they have both Ne and Fe.

I wonder if I have a subconscious that turns on and turns off certain traits as it deems fit.
If I enter a group situation from an objective standpoint or with a walled off approach, I can sometimes avoid the emotional disruption that is often triggered by such experiences.
I don't think it's possible to totally "turn off" your Fi. But...with Ne and Ti, this would totally make sense.

Now, I haven't been diagnosed professionally, but from my own research, I pretty much peg bi-polar.
I'm thinking this may have something to do with the war of Ti and Fi inside my mind.
Personality disorders aren't triggered by type or function, they're completely separate issues. I think there are a few threads on this already.

Also, as was brought out in the MTBI awards thread, "Most Likely to Cry For No Reason" was awarded to the INFP a couple times. I have that issue. I don't cry, but have periods of extreme sadness for no apparent reason.
I think you're too stuck on the stereotype that thinkers don't have feelings at all. Thinkers just aren't as apt to act on or express those feelings to others, it doesn't mean they're not there. :)

Annnnnd, double posting because I can! XD

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personality disorders aren't triggered by type or function, they're completely separate issues. I think there are a few threads on this already.

I think you're too stuck on the stereotype that thinkers don't have feelings at all. Thinkers just aren't as apt to act on or express those feelings to others, it doesn't mean they're not there. :)
I was wondering if the bi-polar was interfering with some of my cognitive functions (as it has effed over my mental capacities at times).

I'm not really stuck on the emotional issue, as was just trying to put the emotional irrationality into perspective.
I guess I should move back to my original theory about myself being an INTP with extreme intuitivity.
Although the INTP's inferior function is Fe, so I may just have discovered that and have unknowingly been using it...

Annnnnd, double posting because I can! XD
Meh, it happens.

I guess Ti is my strength. Thank you all for your assistance.

Twitch

PS: If I ever meet some of you in person, you might see some of the traits that make me think I'm an Fi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts