Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I scraped paint off of my house, so that I can later prime the house, and then paint the house. To be able to scrape paint off of a house you must first get 2 ladders and an aluminium walkway to put between those 2 ladders. Then you (me 200 pounds) get on the walkway with your grandfather (320 pounds), then you realize that the walkway has a weight limit of 250 pounds. "Hey gramps should we both be up here at one time?" I ask. "Of course you'll be fine, they test these weight limit thingy majigs to about double the weight limit they have on here." he replies.

((weight limit)250 x 2 = 500) ((us)200 + 320 = 520)

Now that I have been totally reassured that the flimsy walkway is unbreakable.... (I can still hear it creaking under our weight.) We now commence the scraping of this section of the house. Scraping paint takes five-ever. (more than forever) After we scrape a section of the house we pick up the ladders and walkway and move the set-up to the next part of the house. After scraping for awhile I hear Gramps ask me to switch sides with him. Inner thoughts "What the hell?!?! Outer reaction "Alrighty" I slowly hug up to the house and my grandfather edges across the walkway. As soon as he is right behind me he has a coughing fit.... Scariest stuff ever.

Anyways I don't want to paint houses for a living. (or scrape the paint off of them.)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Haha thats hilarious. Well at least you arent pulling shingles off an old, steep roof and have to worry abour falling through. Its a great skill and you should be proud your grandpa is teaching you. I love those blue collar skills. They make the world go round and are so under appreciated. I think people are slowly realizing they need to give a shit about it. Like tainted puss filled beef trying to get passed off. The corporations want to make garbage beef with cows knee deep in shit, eating corn they cant digest, and over crowded. I saw happy cows the other day. I moved to the Willamette Valley. They had the needed cow per acre, with the most beautiful grassy, shaded field. They looked so happy, healthy, and eventually tasty. :) I even read about how ginseng takes 10 years to mature and can grow for at least a hundred years. It reminds me the natives cherished the roots and what grew in the land. In some aspect you are in touch with your hands and the physical world which is super important in terms of doing work that enhances the planet not destroy it. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
white-knuckle;bt39354 said:
Haha thats hilarious. Well at least you arent pulling shingles off an old, steep roof and have to worry abour falling through. Its a great skill and you should be proud your grandpa is teaching you. I love those blue collar skills. They make the world go round and are so under appreciated. I think people are slowly realizing they need to give a shit about it. Like tainted puss filled beef trying to get passed off. The corporations want to make garbage beef with cows knee deep in shit, eating corn they cant digest, and over crowded. I saw happy cows the other day. I moved to the Willamette Valley. They had the needed cow per acre, with the most beautiful grassy, shaded field. They looked so happy, healthy, and eventually tasty. :) I even read about how ginseng takes 10 years to mature and can grow for at least a hundred years. It reminds me the natives cherished the roots and what grew in the land. In some aspect you are in touch with your hands and the physical world which is super important in terms of doing work that enhances the planet not destroy it. :)
I really do appreciate the blue collar work a lot more. Makes me want to watch Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. I'm also very lucky to have a grandfather that knows how to do this kind of stuff. Well he kind of knows what he's doing. =)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts