Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in my late 30s. I used to listen to the radio or my walkman in my teens while commuting. Sometime in the mid 90s, mp3 players came out. That was also the time I discovered audiobooks. For the last 18 years I pretty much listen to audiobooks or podcasts exclusively and have stopped listening to music while driving or walking. I read physical books occasionally, but 90% of my reading happens via audiobook now.

I get bored very quickly when listening to music, but having to concentrate on an audiobook keeps my mind active. The only time I listen to music is when I'm running, because it helps me run faster/longer.

Anyone else here like audiobooks?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Interesting, I've had exactly the opposite realisation yesterday. I tried listening to audiobooks for the first time since, well, the 90's, back then I was a child listening to fairy tales on casettes. However, I'm pretty much addicted to having music on my mp3 player, but yesterday I tried an audiobook when I went exercising. It turned out that I have to concentrate too much on the listening and it affects negatively my other senses. To avoid getting hit by a car or something, I had to look around and miss some of the sentences. On the contrary, I use music as a background theme. That's why I prefer to listen to known songs and not so much discovering new, because I just like to hear a familiar tone somewhere in my head. That allows my other senses to work normally. It is true, however, that sight is my most important sense. That's also why I prefer reading a book than listening to it, I understand them better when I see the words. (It worked the same with those fairy tales - I had them running all night long, not for the content but for the noise.)

·
Registered
715 Posts
i can't read/listen to books on the side. i need to either focus on it or leave it.
audiobooks are terrible anyway. i haven't found a narrator who didn't emphasize far too much. and they read too slow. and i can't skim boring passages.
nah. words written on a medium are for me.

Reactions: JamieBond

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Audiobooks make me sick for some reason. I really can't listen to them

My music is on all the time, though. It helps my self-diagnosed ADD to have something going in the background that a part of my brain can focus on.

And like @chrisu said, books in and of themselves rule. It's easier to reread passages and skip over parts than with audiobooks. My INTP dad loves them, though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm ok with audiobooks. My family travels a lot so we'll sometimes take a book for the long drive. It helps with the arguments about what type of music to listen to. But I do prefer a real book. And usually the audiobooks I find are weird.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I tried to listen to "How to make friends and influence people" a couple of days ago while also playing an online game. I completely tuned it out after 5 minutes.

However, I have learned some amazing things while driving and listening to audiobooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts