Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something kind of confused me in my journeys through the world of INFP description: likes to be alone, doesn't like bars or clubs or parties, etc. But the thing is... I love going to dances, parties, etc. I like cities, concerts, loud noises and bright lights. I love being near people. It makes me feel alive.
More than actually being in the crowd, though, I like being right outside of it. For instance, I love going to clubs, but my favorite thing to do is stand right outside with those people taking a smoke break or whatever, take a couple close friends to sit on the stoop right outside of a concert hall where I can still hear the music, be in an upstairs room with three or four other people at a party. I love being in the midst of a crowd, too, but I like the sidelines. Close enough to the action to still feel the energy, but far enough to have that silence.
Frankly, I'd rather go to a party than the library or a museum any day.
But I always score INFP on every test I take, and my results are rarely anywhere close to ENFP. Anyone else like this?

·
Registered
437 Posts
yes, i like going to social events to observe people.
usually i forget that i'm sitting in the room cause i'm too involved with watching the other people in the room.
something i don't like about social events is that i know that i should be talking to other people but its really difficult for me to.
so the pressure is draining.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I like jam sessions and other small social events when I have close friends attending. (I don't have any right now.) I love parties, although they can be draining. Also, I used to go to school dances just to torture myself by watching the guy I had a crush on dance with other girls. I really do enjoy being with other people. Interpersonal connections are what give life meaning. Introversion doesn't necessarily mean wanting to be alone all of the time. I get too much aloneness in my life. Even so, if I had to choose between being socially overwhelmed and being a hermit, I'd probably do better always having to be alone than never getting to be alone. Neither is ideal.

·
Registered
897 Posts
same with me here!
I can totally relate with you guys.

I think I've read a great description somewhere that we INFPs often play the "Observer" role,
and truthfully I think THIS one factor that really separate, differentiate us from those "normal usual party people".
Like agreenbough said well above "the shared experience is a wonderful thing",
it's an 'abstract' sort of thing that's really hard to explain in words, yet you know you always felt it tingling on your spine!
the atmosphere...the 'meshing/blend in' of humans...the LOVE, that each of us can for some moments bind with each other strangers,..I think it's just amazing and wonderful to observe and feel this!:happy:

Reactions: agreenbough

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't mind crowds. But I realized that I enjoy being in a crowd where
everyone there has a similar interest as mine. Singing my heart out
to "Pictures Of You" with 17,000 other people under a blanket of stars
at the Hollywood Bowl was the summit of euphoria.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I love going out dancing to clubs. I find that it depends on the size of the crowd. For example in a club there are hundreds of people so I feel like I am on my own and I don't feel the centre of attention and I can dance and do what I like and no one will notice me (unless I pull some really wacky moves then the people near to me might be a bit worried).

The music is also so loud that I can be around people without having to have conversations with them. :laughing:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im too young to go to a bar or a club but I think crowds are good because you can disapear in them and not be singled out by others

actually, something Ive noticed at school is I like to be near some of the more outgoing folk but dont sit with or next to them much (only in some circumstances).
for me, its my way of being social because you can still chat with them but your not sitting right with them so you HAVE to chat

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wow! Awesome, and I thought that it was just me! I don't care for the people so much in the crowd, but I am big on the atmosphere of the place that I am in, especially if it's well lit with great music and brightly colored.

I am also highly amazed by high ceilings and will enjoy being in a structure all the more if I am. I appreciate my aesthetic surroundings very much, and all the more if I am able to do that generally undisturbed! =)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Something kind of confused me in my journeys through the world of INFP description: likes to be alone, doesn't like bars or clubs or parties, etc. But the thing is... I love going to dances, parties, etc. I like cities, concerts, loud noises and bright lights. I love being near people. It makes me feel alive.
More than actually being in the crowd, though, I like being right outside of it. For instance, I love going to clubs, but my favorite thing to do is stand right outside with those people taking a smoke break or whatever, take a couple close friends to sit on the stoop right outside of a concert hall where I can still hear the music, be in an upstairs room with three or four other people at a party. I love being in the midst of a crowd, too, but I like the sidelines. Close enough to the action to still feel the energy, but far enough to have that silence.
Frankly, I'd rather go to a party than the library or a museum any day.
But I always score INFP on every test I take, and my results are rarely anywhere close to ENFP. Anyone else like this?
See, I'm the total opposite, the 'description' INFP as it were. I hate living in the city, I avoid bars and pubs like the plague, at least when they're crowded (which is almost always, in Toronto), and I prefer hanging with one or two friends instead of a large group. And I would much, much rather be at a library than a party. :unsure: lol

One of the reasons I don't like going out to clubs, parties, etc. is because, for me, anyway, they don't represent what's "real." Maybe I've read The Catcher In the Rye too many times, but there are no people I hold more disdain for than those who dress themselves in the uniform of a hipster, the different varieties of punk, goth, emo, etc. Kids with rich parents who probably live in million dollar homes create these outfits so perfectly tailored to look like they just walked out of a gutter, but just sophisticated enough so you can tell it's all intentional. The iPod Touch and Blackberry phone is usually also a dead giveaway. That's the crowd you get at those places, and I can't stand that stifling air of, as Holden himself would say, phoniness. It's bad enough for me just riding the subway, being in a room jam-packed with these people is like torturing myself. Just be who you are. I do like crowds at, for example, soccer matches, where people let their inhibitions go and just go crazy cheering. That's something real. Nobody puts on a facade of joy over a goal.

But anyway, to get back on topic, I generally don't like crowded places. In grade 8 I couldn't wait to get to high school because I thought that in a crowd of 2000 students I'd be, or at least feel, completely anonymous. It was the complete opposite. The more people around the more claustrophobic and drained I feel. Which is why I would so much rather live in a small town and have some peace and quiet.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Once in awhile I like going to a huge stadium for a sporting event. Sometimes the big loud crowd is fun to be around & I'll get caught up in the moment & yell my lungs out. Once I wind down on the drive home I'm exhausted.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
But the thing is... I love going to dances, parties, etc. I like cities, concerts, loud noises and bright lights. I love being near people. It makes me feel alive.
More than actually being in the crowd, though, I like being right outside of it.
I can definitely relate to this. I love cities and hate living in the country. I lived in a small downtown area for a short while where they'd have little street fairs, and I loved being able to walk downstairs & stroll through all the commotion or sit on my balcony & watch it from a distance. I also liked the distant music that would waft into my apartment from the local bars late at night on the weekends.

So I like to be around hustle & bustle, but not interacting, so much as on the sidelines observing & absorbing the atmosphere, so I can space out when I feel like it. I dislike crowds where I feel pressured to interact with people (most parties) or when the crowd is herding people like cows & you feel caught in a stream of people. I do like concerts & clubs, since talking is not paramount....it's more about the music (so the music has to be good) & the general ambiance. I'll dance too, but I like the option to lounge somewhere, as I get bored with dancing fast. I also LOVE an excuse to dress up. Another reason I like cities is that people aren't as casual, and you can get away with more avant garde dress without so many stares.

However, I also love libraries & museums. Even though they are quiet, there is still the effect of the presence of people, and the stillness creates a whole different atmosphere that I can appreciate.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the reasons I don't like going out to clubs, parties, etc. is because, for me, anyway, they don't represent what's "real." Maybe I've read The Catcher In the Rye too many times, but there are no people I hold more disdain for than those who dress themselves in the uniform of a hipster, the different varieties of punk, goth, emo, etc. Kids with rich parents who probably live in million dollar homes create these outfits so perfectly tailored to look like they just walked out of a gutter, but just sophisticated enough so you can tell it's all intentional. The iPod Touch and Blackberry phone is usually also a dead giveaway. That's the crowd you get at those places, and I can't stand that stifling air of, as Holden himself would say, phoniness. It's bad enough for me just riding the subway, being in a room jam-packed with these people is like torturing myself. Just be who you are. I do like crowds at, for example, soccer matches, where people let their inhibitions go and just go crazy cheering. That's something real. Nobody puts on a facade of joy over a goal.
It bothers me that you have such disdain for people who use fashion as a way to express themselves. The "punk uniform"? Well, for some people, it's sure as hell a lot more fun to dye your hair purple and wear studded boots than to buy everything in predetermined Miley Cyrus outfits at american eagle or wherever. I usually have to hunt everywhere to find my clothes. I spend hours and hours sifting through thrift stores and discount racks to find an article of clothing that resonates with me perfectly, much like the way I'm sure you spend hours and hours pawing through pages of books at the library. Everything in my closet has a story. Everything I put on my body in an individual in it's own right. I work for my money, and if I choose to spend it on some $100 shoes, then that's my business. Why is liking fashion such a crime? Why am I so condemned if I decide to wear my doc martens and sequined shirt? If I shave one side of my head, if I smooth my hair into a fauxhawk, if I like ripped tights and black? Fashion is as valid of an art form as stipple drawings or haikus. I am just being who I am.

/Retracts claws
/threadjack

sry, sry, back to business.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I 100% love going out and being social. Im not into like dance clubs but i like going to concerts and dive bars and waterever. For the most part i sit back and observe but if someone comes up to me and initiates im a chatty Cathy. I do like my alone time too though, i dont want to be out all the time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
One of my best friends is an enfp. He hates large crowds, large parties, events, but constantly needs to be around small amounts of people 24/7. I on the other hand love all those things, crave them even, but can't do it for more than 2-3 days in a row, and afterwards I don't want to be around people period for a few days until I recover.

I live in the city and took two weeks off this year when we had the olympics and immersed myself in the massive crowds and loved it, but needed periodic days off from it holed up in my apartment with no contact with anyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts