Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today in french 3 my teacher really pissed me off. She jokingly said out loud to the class that its not my fault i wasnt born with a personality. WTF?! I act nice to her and joke with her after class sometimes but she doesn't like me because i dont talk that much out loud to the class all the time and i never laugh at her dumb jokes that she only tells because shes conceited and wants people to like her. Her daughter is in that class and i think shes cute but i get turned off by the fact that her moms snobbiness rubbed off on her and she acts the same way. Then later in school as i was thinking i came to realize that thats how most people are in high school. All they care about is popularity and use other people to get as many others as they can to like them. If you dont go around acting all extraverted then people dont like you because your not well known. It never crosses their mind that one day the quiet smart kid might be working for a counter terrorist agency and protecting their lives.
Yet i still care about these people and want nothing other than the ability for them to do what they want. Whether they want to be jerks or be loving citizens it doesnt matter, i would still fight for them. I just wish people could actually establish more personal connections with everyone instead of picking their favorites and dislikes. They use their favorites to make themselves feel better and then use the people they dont like to look good in front of their favorites.

303 Posts
yep... that's the way the world works...at least at a young age. and it doesn't get too much better as you go on from there. Trying to make the best of it is what will really determine how your life is lived.

·
Registered
74 Posts
She jokingly said out loud to the class that its not my fault i wasnt born with a personality. WTF?! I act nice to her and joke with her after class sometimes but she doesn't like me because i dont talk that much out loud to the class all the time and i never laugh at her dumb jokes that she only tells because shes conceited and wants people to like her.
Just shake it off. There are plenty of people out there who like quiet people for who they are. Plus, if she's so conceited and overly concerned with whether people like her or not (which indicates a lowly view of herself), do you really want her to like you? Would you really want a friend like that?

You love people, but you can't stand stupidity. Two very different things... hopefully. There are a lot of stupid people out there, sadly enough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sayin i want her to like me. Im saying i want her to change and be less ignorant and then naturally she would like me. The world isnt what it used to be. There are no more greek philosophers or even abraham lincolns. Its full of lost and selfish people just tryin to make a living and get through life easily.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
You love people, but you can't stand stupidity. Two very different things... hopefully. There are a lot of stupid people out there, sadly enough.
Yeah, as a "recovering" perfectionist, I have had a hard time dealing with people who I considered to be arrogant. I am tolerant of mentally challenged people and situations like that, because I know those people can't help it.

But arrogant and conceited people- no sir, I don't like 'em. So I ignore them.

There are plenty of good people out there (of all personality types). Your INFJ insight should help you to look beyond the stereotypes to see who is naughty and who is nice.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The world isnt what it used to be. There are no more greek philosophers or even abraham lincolns. Its full of lost and selfish people just tryin to make a living and get through life easily.
I wouldn't say that. I think people have always been people, good and bad. I mean we used to burn people alive, in most places we don't do that anymore. That at least, must be a good sign.

People like the great Philosophers of old stand out because of the idiocy that sturouned them. If everyone was better in the past they wouldn't have been so memorable.

Try not to idolise the past, instead think about how you can improve the future, if only by setting a good example and not rising to this type of thing.

High School is a hellish ordeal, but it will be over soon, and these shallow people will fade from your life.

A lot of them will get more empathic and less bitchy/popularity minded as they grow up, and get burnt a few times from the quest for popularity. They will come to value integrity more, but it will just take a while. Some are just idiots/jerks, and always will be, but not everyone. Some people are just playing along because they are worried about how those people will react if they dont.

Next time someone says something stupid like your teacher did, just sigh and smile to yourself. After all, you know who you are, and you're just waiting for your peers to catch up maturity wise.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I will comment being a little empathetic for her in saying that it is a very difficult environment to teach high school. Kids are constantly challenging you to where your initial reaction to survive is to basically be a hard-ass. Trouble is, if you are just a hard-ass then the kids won't necessarily fully respect you.... so you still have to show you care somehow while not making yourself seem weak to allow them to tromp you.
There's a real fine line that, in my HS experience few seem to really master. But the ones that do are the ones that shine.

Ok, so now to go off of your comment -- I know exactly what you are saying as well. I'm student teaching in a HS right now and the ignorant and disrespectful things that kids say to me on a daily basis make me want to just hate them...... and my mentor teacher even made the comment how with kids like that you have to be tough and not show weakness because all they want to do is test you to see your reaction. Some teachers still make the comment on how they wish the kid just isn't in the class and try to think of a way to get rid of them...... but for me, saying that still troubles me deep down because for some reason there is still this idealistic part of me that hopes that I can make a difference even with that (pardon my french) pain in the ass sophomore that likes to criticize every decision I make and disrupt everyone else in the class because I know the troubled home-life he came from to cause such behavior.

So yeah... deep down I still want to help these people even if they totally piss me off and/or really get on my nerves in the worst way possible.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There are people that I like, and there are people that I hate. And then there is the rest of the world.

The people that I like are treated with respect. The people I hate I stay away from.

As for the rest of the world, I remain ignorant of it until it pries its way back into my business, like the nosy bugger it is.

The trick is to tune it out. People will be people, and in the end, the universe will work itself out as it should.

... Wouldn't hurt to be ready for the zombie apocalypse, either.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Lure her into a verbal trap, if you can:

You: "Why do you say I have no personality?"
Her: "You don't seem to have a sense of humor."
You: "I only have a sense of humor for jokes that are actually funny."

Depends on the situation, of course, gotta play it by ear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts