Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've never gotten used to the world. It's been 22 years and I'm still surprised that we're anything at all. When I wake up in the morning, I have to spend a few minutes just looking at all the colors. I don't usually remember my dreams, so it's like a new life every morning.

I love to look back at my snapshots of previous days. I love the way sunlight looks and the way books smell. I walk around most of the day thinking about this. A lot of my friends get angry at little things, like their computer stalling or having to park in a less-than-optimal spot. But I just can't take this for granted enough to care about that kind of stuff. Sure, it sucks, but we've got the privilege to see all this.
That's beautiful. I can't find it in me to complain too much about the little things either.

But you know what's even better than sunlight or books or moonlight or emerald green grass? It's people. I could sit on the beach and count every grain of sand but one person's experiences would dwarf that in number. I didn't need anyone to tell me what was right and what was wrong when I was a kid. I knew that if there was something important in the world, it was people. I was pretty misguided as a teenager but I shaped up. Eventually in college I heard about the MTBI, as I was a psych major. We took it in Human Assessment in fact, and I was an INFP. I thought it sounded about right.

Similarminds.com says that INFP's are ambivalent of the rules. Maybe hostile would be a better word? It says that INFPs feel shame. I should hope that everyone does -- ah, there it is: "can be pessimistic." I don't believe that. Not punctual? Absolutely. Likes the rain? No, I love the rain. It's funny how this stuff can be so accurate and so inaccurate at the same time.

They say that being a lawyer is not a good career for an INFP. I don't agree with that one. I'm currently in law school, and most of the people here are INTJs or ENTJs, usually. I can logically analyze with the best of them. This is a tier 1 law school so they're not slackers. But I think that being more oriented toward understanding the emotions of other people has benefited me greatly. I didn't used to think this way, you know. I used to believe that logic was wisdom and that everything was able to be rationalized. That kind of thought process eventually self-destructed. I've found that logic is malleable, depending on who you're talking to. You can't be true to logic, but you can be true to who you are. And isn't that all you can do? You can never know all the facts, but you can be in touch with yourself. I've found that this helps me understand people and I'm so grateful that my education choices have put me in a position where I've been able to help so many people.
I dislike it when people appear to impose that logic and rationality should be the basis for the one universal truth. I know logic is important and necessary, but there is more to life than only that. Meanings and truths can be in different forms, we don't have to put a label on them. We can be true to our feelings, if we can grow forward from them, not backward.

In my opinion, arrogance and self interests have driven people to be more close minded and pressured to force labels on what should be regarded as logically ''correct'' or ''incorrect.'' They disregard unique perspectives to life and reality because secretly such gifts can be too much for their egos to handle.

If one attempts to see the world with a purer heart, answers just fall into place whether one admits it or not.

As you can probably tell from my signature, I'm of the Christian faith. I wasn't always, I used to be an atheist actually. I won't go into all that but you can PM me if you want to know more (or ask in this thread or something.) I don't know how this has impacted by MBTI, but I've placed helping people as the #1 goal in my life. I've found a niche that lets me use my skills to this end and I'm incredibly happy about that. "Turn away from what is bad and do what is good; seek to find peace and pursue it." This is the best part of my life.

I've always felt kind of like an oddball but it never bothered me that much. Anyone ever heard of Erich Fromm? He wrote a book called The Art of Loving. There's a few parts of it I really like. "Immature love says, "I love you because I need you." Mature love says, "I need you because I love you." and "Love of the helpless, the poor and the stranger, are the beginning of brotherly love. To love ones flesh and blood is no achievement. The animal loves its young and cares for them. Only in the love of those who do not serve a purpose, does love begin to unfold." It talks quite a bit about romantic love, not just brotherly love. I never understood how people can throw it around that they "love" someone romantically. How could that be love? It was over so fast that I could barely keep track who my friends were "in love with" this month. I've only ever had one serious girlfriend and that doesn't bother me. You know how when you were young, you heard all these stories about true love, and then you finally get into the real world and it's not like that? And then you adjust and accept the reality that people "trade up" all the time like they were getting a new car lease? I guess I've never accepted it, and I don't much care.
It also surprises me how people and the media can degrade the value of 'love.' I see love as something extremely spiritual and sacred.

Modern progress, superficial interests and proud victories can never compete with love if it has been matured and sacred.

I used to sit in bed and look up at the sky at night and wonder what it was like to be someone else. I always wondered what it would be like to live one day in someone else's shoes. My problems never looked so bad up there. Eventually I figured out that I've had a little part of everyone I've met. Each day was like a new life and some people haven't been a part of my life for so long, but as someone once told me, "all you can take with you when you're gone is what you leave behind."

I don't know if I'd see the world this way if I wasn't an INFP. I don't know if I'd want to see it any other way.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Sorry if this made no sense, it's 3Am here hehehe.
I used to think, for so many parts of my life, there's something wrong with me for feeling weird, disconnected from most parts of the world that I've tried to push aside that inner voice and listen more to the opinions of others even when they cause little pains in my heart.

But then I wake up and realize this.

I refuse to be brainwashed.

I refuse to give in and absorb the negativity of how other people lead their lives in darkness because they think emotional language is a game.

I refuse to care too much about looking foolish in front of people in search of my truth ;)

I know I posted this another thread, but I like it so much that I think it deserves a separate thread of its own.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts