Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to play for hours alone when I was little. I could imagine a scenario and I was immersed. I think this skill/trait would be useful now to relieve stress from school but I think I lost it. It's unfortunate. What happened?:bored:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Another one here. Could it be trying to hard to make everything fit? Not leaving enough room for surprises? Worrying to much about what others will think? I'm just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think what happens is, when we grow up... we try to figure out and analyze life and that takes more precedence. Don't know for sure though.

I love Pixar so much, because that is a company who thrives on adults with imagination. They create stories, worlds, characters, and works of art that stretch our imagination.

I think in times where we feel our imagination running dry, it's always great to take a vacation, visit a new place, watch a movie/feature animation, or pick up a book to read.

Life has way of desensitizing our brains over time too. I remember watching Pinnochio as a kid and feeling a great amount of anxiety, fear, and joy throughout the entire movie. I still remember the scene in which his father, gimini cricket, and Pinnochio were trying to escape the whale's mouth; I would grab my legs really tight and ride the entire scene with such intense emotions lol When watching it again as an adult, I've noticed everything seems very bland and dull. I dont know why that is? I just assume I've been desensitized.

My teachers tell me that creativity is hard to come by without inspiration, and without our constant curiosity and searching for that which inspires us the well runs dry... it's good to refill.

Perhaps the same thing can be applied to our imagination?

I still find myself imagining a lot of things, but rarely in what I would describe as a 'other worldy' manner. I often walk around campus imagining myself with a friend, or reliving past moments... I'll even smile while I'm thinking, or move my lips pretending to talk to these... people in my head LOL It's kind of embarrassing because I'll catch people looking at me -_-; If I'm not listening to music and singing along in my car, I'm imagining social scenarios and playing back old memories and laughing to myself.

I'm lucky to be in a career where my imagination and story-telling is always pushed. So, I often think of characters and people, and situations to fit these stories. If it hadn't been for my career choice, I honestly don't know that I would still have such a wild imagination.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to think that I lost my imagination..and it was so depressing. Now I am starting to realize that my imagination has just changed. Instead of imagining fantasy worlds and playing make believe adventures with my sisters...I find myself being able to imagine complex situations and come up with hundreds of different scenarios to find solutions. I am not saying that I don't miss my child hood imagination...but I am excited to explore what it has become. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
this thread is the beat of my crying heart!

I had the most amazing imagination! i lived in another world....well many of them! i remember sitting on the beach when i was around 13 and thinking to myself, how awful life would be if i lost such an amazing part of who i was. i promised myself that when i grew up i would still retain that core part of me.....

what happened? i grew up :tongue: and well.........you know the rest!

but i do believe that beyond the mundane and constant existence of our lives, there is still that seed of imagination budding deep within. i know that when i choose to take time away from living my living, i will be able to rekindle that flame......i think that the reason as children we had such a gift is that we were allowed the freedom to be lost in our own minds. as adults we discipline ourselves to think about the here and now.......maybe we need spaces of silence and reflection to open the door again?

then maybe i'll be inspired to write that novel i always dreamed of writing! :happy:

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My imagination has plenty of time to run wild while I try to fall asleep, which usually takes about an hour.

I could do without the sleep problems, though.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Growing up into an ST isn't growing up. I think growing up involves becoming you as a child but instead now you know how that child relates to the world around you. I see it like this....

Child
boy/girl meets world and looses self
Man/woman understands world and then understands ones self too

So in a sense.... I think maturing is just learning who you are in the context of your surroundings. I think you long for imagination for a reason. And I don't think to long for it is to not become mature. In fact I think the longing for it is your brain screaming at you "THIS IS A PART OF YOU THAT YOU ARE IGNORING".

Could be wrong though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts