Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I feel like I could I just explode with frustration.

I got yet another rejection letter in the mail for a job I felt I had a very good chance of getting. I'm getting to the point where I've accumulated so many of them that you'd think it would no longer phase me. But this one in particular is upsetting because its from a place I used to work for and its the exact same job I once did. Yeah, its only a substitute teaching job to supplement my income and its not like I'd make a whole lot of extra money but every little bit helps. And getting a job offer, any offer is a boost to the self-esteem no matter how minor.

You see, I worked there a couple of years ago until they have to eliminate most of the substitutes due to budget constraints. I received an excellent performance review from that place and my colleages all had good things to say about me. So when I interviewed for the position, I thought I had an extremely good chance of landing the position. I thought the interview went well too. Where did I go wrong??????

I called the school district today to ask more details on their selection criteria and the only thing they would tell me is that other candidates had skill sets that were closer to what they were looking for. That and because I already have a part-time job, they were worried I wouldn't be available enough. Baloney. A lot of substitute teachers work part-time elsewhere. And my part time job is weekends and one or two weekdays depending on the week. So I'm available more often than not.

When I asked for specifics regarding what specific skills I should work on enhancing to make myself a more competitive candidate, they couldn't tell me nothing due to liability issues.

I'm so frustrated I'm ready to pull out my hair. This afternoon I've cried my eyes out and now I got a headache from crying so much. Life just sucks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
BIG /HUG!

I can relate to you, I was there once to, what I'm trying to say I hope will help
to make you feel better, it's what my sister used to tell me when I was going to
interviews,
it's not you that need them, it's them that need you!

don't give up, you'll have a better job then that one.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Right now I feel like I could I just explode with frustration.

I got yet another rejection letter in the mail for a job I felt I had a very good chance of getting. I'm getting to the point where I've accumulated so many of them that you'd think it would no longer phase me. But this one in particular is upsetting because its from a place I used to work for and its the exact same job I once did. Yeah, its only a substitute teaching job to supplement my income and its not like I'd make a whole lot of extra money but every little bit helps. And getting a job offer, any offer is a boost to the self-esteem no matter how minor.

You see, I worked there a couple of years ago until they have to eliminate most of the substitutes due to budget constraints. I received an excellent performance review from that place and my colleages all had good things to say about me. So when I interviewed for the position, I thought I had an extremely good chance of landing the position. I thought the interview went well too. Where did I go wrong??????

I called the school district today to ask more details on their selection criteria and the only thing they would tell me is that other candidates had skill sets that were closer to what they were looking for. That and because I already have a part-time job, they were worried I wouldn't be available enough. Baloney. A lot of substitute teachers work part-time elsewhere. And my part time job is weekends and one or two weekdays depending on the week. So I'm available more often than not.

When I asked for specifics regarding what specific skills I should work on enhancing to make myself a more competitive candidate, they couldn't tell me nothing due to liability issues.

I'm so frustrated I'm ready to pull out my hair. This afternoon I've cried my eyes out and now I got a headache from crying so much. Life just sucks.
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but how's your grammar and speaking ability? (In both speech and writing.) If you're applying to be a substitute teacher, the effect brought on by using double negatives is DOUBLY negative. (sorry for the lame pun :crazy:)

It's possible that now the required skill sets are completely different. Perhaps kids nowadays are being taught how to use Excel in lieu of writing in cursive, so they're hiring subs who are more techy. Not saying that you're not, but maybe there are different strengths of yours to emphasize.

And it's a pretty tough job market, especially for people in education.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pretty simple what happened. If they rehired you, they'd be implicitly admitting they shouldn't have let you go. That would be egg on the face of the Organization. Can't have that. I'm frankly surprised you even bothered to apply in the first place.

·
Registered
370 Posts
((HUGS)) I am sorry that happened to you. I just got my masters and have been applying for jobs in my field, so I know it is so tough just to get an interview, let alone an offer. And I also can relate to crying so hard over a job rejection that I get headaches.

Something similar happened to me. The place I interned at did not even interview me for one of their open positions. They gave me the same reason "other candidate's skills more closely matched the role, yadda yadda". But I also know that over 70 qualified people applied for that job, so it was a tough decision, and it is probably not personal. I am sure the same thing happened in your situation. With so many people under or unemployed, a lot are trying to get substitute teaching gigs. They have to make hard choices between a huge number of equally qualified and outstanding people.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Regardless of reasoning, it still sucks..I'm sorry : /
*HUG* X 2

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
233 Posts
here is my big bear hug for you

*BIG BEAR HUG*

Reactions: The Exception

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
*hugs*......*feels your pain*.... I remember this thing about how actors apply for 50-100 roles before they get anything... and it's seems to be coming true for everyday work as well. When I was 17-25 I could get a job within five or so interviews now.... times have changed and they are just stacking up... I'm currently on hiatus from job hunting due to medical issues but I will have to get back out there in a year or so. Explaining my absence in all it's joy which really in reality just makes it that much easier to scratch me off the list. "oh so you're a liability?" ..."what no...not at all". :S
You seem smart and very capable within your field so you'll be fine... just keep plugging away!
It's easy to be put of by people that make up the most transparent reasons when explaining why you weren't successful. I had one place call me before they were even half way through all the interviews (did he assume I was terrible at math?)... I called them on it but what can you do? They have the power unfortunately... discrimination just means they have to be more careful and sly with what they say..oh joy! :p
But it's not all bad as you know there are good companies/jobs out there and the longer you are looking the more likely you'll find a good place instead! ;)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hang in there! I'm trying to get a job too, I'm unemployed and it's very frustrating. What I've learned is don't be too hard on yourself and pace yourself. You don't want to go insane stressing yourself out about jobs you hope to get. Also, you don't want to burn out with one method of looking for a job. I think a good idea is to try working multiple ways of getting a job. Just some thoughts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts