Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a roommate to share a 3 bdrm, 2 bath trailer. Male or female, white, black, purple, straight, gay, alien species, I don't care as long as they can make rent. Okay, so what I'm offering is a room (optionally furnished) and a private bathroom and of course, shared living room, kitchen, and laundry, and carport, and backyard. I'd probably ask for $300/month plus half utilities which wouldn't ever be more than another $100.

But, there's a couple things that might turn people off. One, it's an old trailer. It's not a dump, but it's not what anyone would consider aesthetically pleasing. Two, it's about 15-20 minutes from town. I actually like that for the privacy and quiet but it could be hard on the wallet when it comes to fuel. Three, I have two cats and a chihuahua. I clean, but it'll never be spotless around here. The dog is not 100% puppy pad potty trained, but she does pretty good. She's young, so she's really playful. She's occasionally yappy but really only when she can't get to wherever I'm at. The cats are great, extremely chill, but they shed, and they jump on the table and countertops which doesn't bother me but might others. As a roommate, I think I'm pretty laissez-faire unless you're smoking crack in the bathroom or running a brothel out of your bedroom. Clean up after yourself and don't touch any of my personal belongings without express permission. That's about it.

Alright so, my question is, how good or bad does the living situation seem and what do I need to do to make someone want to live with me?

·
Registered
132 Posts
This really depends on how much rents are in town but it doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

A 15-20 minute drive into work 5 days a week + various trips for personal reasons I can see a gas bill of at least $100 every month if not more. So consider it $400/month to live in your place. If a half decent 2bed/2bath apartment in town goes for $800 a month or less (possibly upwards to $900-1000 for the convenience factor of living close to work and businesses) you're going to have a very hard sell.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, sharing a room out here possibly might not be much cheaper than sharing a somewhat decent place in town, however, there are the benefits of quiet, privacy, low crime, water/trash is free, never have to worry about a parking spot, it's more spacious than those apartments... So it might come down to their preferences. But, I can't lower the rent or move the trailer, so is there anything I can do to make it more appealing?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The average studio apartment costs $1200 and up where I live, so your trailer sounds like a steal. But I don't know your local market.

I've helped my landlord mother find potential renters, and other than keeping it clean and bugfree, there is not much one can do to make people want to move in. It depends on the renter's preference in neighborhood, location, price, etc. Your trailer might be exactly what someone wants. The only possible issue I see is with the animals. They might be allergic or have their own pets. But if it's quiet, safe, clean and smell-free, close to town with cheap utilities, I don't see anything that might deter potential roommates that you can change.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Where is this exactly? I guess it really depends on where you actually are and what the rental market looks like there. Also culture is a big thing too. Say if you live in a ritzy area, the appeal of living in a trailer might not be there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses. I live in the Texas panhandle. A lot of the people who live in my neighborhood are out here because they have livestock, or living out of town is beneficial to their hobbies. My parents are the landlords, so I'm actually getting a discount. They haven't had any difficulty renting it out before, it's mainly the roommate situation that concerns me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts