Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to use at least two tools to show my personality and learning or management style for work. I chose Myers

Briggs as I had some basic understanding of it. I did three tests (to be sure) and got three different types.

I found a lot of the questions really difficult to answer.

I asked a friend about it, she decided to do a test as if she were me and came out with a fourth type, said she didn't think is was very me and looked through the descriptions and picked out a fifth type!

I don't fully see myself in any of the descriptions, can you help?

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I’m a 31 year old woman.
No known mental illness.
I’m not very stressed at all

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

Won’t let me copy and paste it for some reason but it’s a little bird.

He’s so cute and fluffy I want to pet him.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Initial thoughts “oh no we’re going to miss it” “typical” “oh shit”

Outward reactions “Let’s sort this out”

Make sure we’re in a safe place, people are out of the car and somewhere safe. Make sure that if we are in the way of potential traffic we can be seen and won’t cause a pile up.

Pinpoint exactly where we are (get out and look, use my phone etc) whilst they ring the breakdown company so we can give them a specific address. I would make myself useful in the limited way a person who can’t fix cars can be useful in the scenario.

Although I realized I’d pictured this being at night and dark, if its daylight we might have a go at fixing it. I can change a tyre but that’s about my limit. But maybe my friends can fix a car whilst I hold stuff?

I decided it wasn’t my car because I would never be the designated driver to a concert.

I’d be the calming influence if it was one of my stressy friends mainly because I have been in similar scenarios before and I know how to manage them.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the after party that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I’m really happy the driver is willing to stay sober for us! I would really want to go to the party and it might be the only chance I got to go to that band’s after party.

I go to the party. The party is great in this hypothetical scenario.

I make sure that our sober driver knows we appreciate them doing this because I don’t like being the driver for events really and I also like a drink so I try not to take for granted my friends that do these things.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Depends what it is & how close of a friend they are. I can happily argue black is white all night long but I have some friends who would take this very personally (it’s not personal).

My inner reaction to literally any statement no matter how obviously true it is is “that’s not right” or “you can’t tell me that”. Even if I believed it 100% minutes earlier, I really can’t help myself but I have learnt to bite my tongue when required.

I think people don’t always realize this but I’m really happy to be talked around to a point of view (I suspect my friends would say I was stubborn) I think my views have changed a lot based on what people have told me, particularly about things I personally haven’t experienced. I really don’t take debates or disagreements personally.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I don’t really understand this question so I’ll answer both the ways I think it could mean:

Example A – I see a ghost even though I don’t believe in ghosts. I make sure I can be sure of the evidence of my own eyes first (am I drunk? Sleep deprived? Is it a trick of the light? Is someone playing a trick on me?). If, considering all this, I realize I have seen a ghost then I guess now I believe in ghosts. I have no problems admitting I’m wrong. I am wrong many times a day.

Example B – I am against homophobia but I hear a friend use a homophobic slur. I’d ask them if they knew what it meant and why they used it. I don’t feel like it’s helpful just to say “omg you’re a dick for saying mean things” certainly not to the kinds of people I routinely hang out with. I think it makes more sense to educate people than just shoot them down.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

My basic value is “do what you want as long as you aren’t hurting anyone” but this has changed over time to “do as you want as long as you aren’t hurting anyone, but this is actually relatively complicated and just because you are not actively harming a person with your actions does not mean that you are not contributing to a scenario where a person is hurt and therefore you should also be mindful that you are not inadvertently hurting someone”

The example above fits this quite well, so I’ll continue with it, I used to think “if you are not actively participating in homophobic bullying then fine” whereas now I think “if you casually use the word gay as a derogatory term then you are contributing to a culture where being gay is seen as a negative and this does harm people even if that’s not what you intended”.

This has changed in part by growing up and in part from having highly educated friends with a lot more compassion than me who actively like to educate people on these matters.

They’ll continue to change because I’ll continue to interact with loads of different people with loads of different points of view.

&. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I do a lot more new things and take a lot more opportunities than most people I know. To the extent I exhaust people (I’m single with no dependents and a relatively good job I am aware I can do more things than a lot of people time and money wise) but even accounting for this I have to have a circle of friends big enough to accommodate this or just go it alone.

I worry that I am not compassionate enough & I think this is accurate i.e. other people have told me I’m not.

I also worry in my dark moments that I’m not very brave and I might not be able to survive in a terrible situation but this is not a view shared by others. I do wonder if their view of me being brave is actually them seeing me jumping in feet first rather than actual bravery.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I do go with “my gut” at times but I think this usually means you have taken in the information but not processed it i.e. you might have noticed subtle body language that someone is angry rather than just knew they were angry. I don’t think it comes from nowhere.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Fun, silly and creative activities energize me.

I find prolonged concentration quite draining especially when I’m just not getting something like a skill.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

-I repress my desire to tell everyone they are wrong all the time, because it’s mean and unnecessary.

I try not to overwhelm people with my flightiness because it tires people and also in a professional context I’d prefer it if people didn’t start thinking I can’t be trusted.

I try to avoid being too self pitying or emotional in front of people even though I think maybe some of my close friends would prefer me to be less emotionally constipated but I find this really hard.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts