Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys. This is usually quite uncomfortable for me, but I'm just going to reveal some personal details, mainly academic-related, about myself. I hope that there is no heckling or other negative behavior on this thread, but I trust that wouldn't happen since you guys tend to be very mature in your mannerisms.

I'm currently in my third year of college and am doing a Public Relations / Pre-Medicine degree. I chose Public Relations for two reasons: It applies to my skills (I'm quite good at writing and oration) and it's a practical major that's in demand these days. In regards to my PR major, I think I'm succeeding with around 3.5+ for major GPA with one completed internship with a group called Clinica Verde (Clinica Verde) and one that I'm currently doing with my school's PR department. Furthermore, I also like my major since I do enjoy advertising / marketing / business work and it really showcases my skills in the professional world.

Tacked onto my major is a pre-med pre-professional. While I thought I can do this (my immediate and extended family are heavily invested in the medical field), I'm slowly realizing that I don't really have passion for the job. Furthermore, I am not exactly succeeding in the field since I'm only doing about average in the classes - something that's bringing my overall GPA down. To be quite frank, I'm sticking out with pre-med thus far due to two factors: my parents since they really invested a lot in me for such a career (I respect my parents greatly and would like to do my best for them) and that its a field that is both secure as well as profitable.

I'm asking the forum for some advice on what I should do with my career. I could technically fix my science classes (something that I'm already in the works doing) and try for medical school, but I'm not really that invested personally in the field since it's just not my interest overall. Of course, I could also pursue work in public relations, but I'm not sure that it's both secure and makes good money (I consider six figures good money overall). To be completely honest, I kinda regret that I have an interest and skill in writing / reading (History is my favorite subject, but that's just more of a curiosity for me since it's not profitable in any sense) since they're not that profitable (according to statistics) compared to STEM occupations.

Sorry for the long post, but I was wondering if any of you seasoned individuals have some advice for me without any snark. You guys can be as blunt as you want since I do appreciate the honesty.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Awwwwww :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts