Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is an emotionally immature person. She has random outburst for stupid things. She's contently looking for a fight with me by provocating me... When she makes a mistake its never bad, but when I do I never use my head, I'm stupid, useless, and never do nothing right.. When I say something sometimes she'll just take it the bad way and start yelling and swearing and acting like a two year old :/ She can't control her emotions. Sadly I'm stuck with her, any advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mom is an emotionally immature person. She has random outburst for stupid things. She's contently looking for a fight with me by provocating me... When she makes a mistake its never bad, but when I do I never use my head, I'm stupid, useless, and never do nothing right.. When I say something sometimes she'll just take it the bad way and start yelling and swearing and acting like a two year old :/ She can't control her emotions. Sadly I'm stuck with her, any advice?
I can say firsthand that I can somewhat know how you feel; I grew up with a mother who I believed to have Borderline Personality Disorder. I am not sure the details surrounding your circumstance; if she is anything like my mother was she will probably get very defensive and angry if you try to say how you feel about the way she is treating you. How old are you?? I am assuming you are a teenager, so you probably can't move out. Maybe try writing your feelings out on paper perhaps writing her a letter (she might not take it so emotionally if it is on paper instead of coming directly from you). Do you think her behavior is due to the fact of her having a bad temper or do you think there is something else going on with her??

·
Registered
144 Posts
First thing to do is step back from the situation instead get emotionally dragged in. Even if it means having to tolerate your Mother screaming and provoking you, silence could be the best way to go down the shorter alley and end things quicker. Hard but it can work when you are capable of seeing whether or not the argument is worth getting invested in because you have to question intentions and outcomes. If it is difficult, keep the sentences minimal and short - but to the point - and then withdraw yourself. You don't always have to tolerate the shit and you can walk away from it.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
This might not be such a helpful post, but she kinda sounds like my mother, tho she's on the manipulative spectrum (emotionally and non-emotionally).

How old are you exactly? (the most important part of any situation like this)

I'd recommend a lot of what @Drift said, that helped me a lot with my mother.

I wouldn't recommend outsmarting her in arguments because she sounds like it would just make things worse. I mean, my mother isn't so emotionally immature but when I had enough and outsmarted her she broke down in tears to make me feel bad and to make my dad angry at me (tho that last part failed due to my counter arguments while she was crying and the first part failed because I knew her way of manipulating people so I just found it silly).
I'm making a guess now, but it seems as if your mother would actually react a lot worse if you tried to outsmart her, the best thing is just to "dodge" her attempts to provoke you. Reacting to being provoked quite much justifies it for most people that they can go all in.

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
My teen probably feels this exact way about me now. I have not changed. She sees things in a very different, very "me" way now, which is normal and to be expected. I personally make more mistakes than I care to, and feel that they always suck. I am never allowed to follow up with her to see how things are going (slipping grades are very seriously jeopardizing her college plans), but I am "constantly provoking" by even asking. I seem to be a terrible person, simply for existing. It hurts, and I tire from trying to weather this period.

Point being, there are two sides to every story. If you really don't mess up and your mom is truly psychotic, I feel for you and am unsure what you can do, unless there are professionals or other respected adults you might reach out to. I think I might have spoken with a pastor or family friend once when at loss about how to communicate with my mom. Fortunately, after I left home, we grew close again. We just don't share lose quarters well, but many adults might say that!

Good luck, it's tough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts