Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm typically not the one to talk about my mental health with people (I think it's something that I should solve myself), but I need some advice regarding a part of me that has always been there.

Ever since I was a kid, I have been dealing with a sense of "dread". This can be for the smallest reasons, and it occurs even when I am not anxious about anything, nor does it make sense to be. It was a lot worse when I was younger, as I used to have to skip school because I would get physically sick in the mornings before class.

Over the years, I've been getting better. I exercise daily, journal my thoughts, have attainable plans for the future, and I eat generally healthy. But lately, I feel likes it been striking back with a vengeance. The fingers on my left hand won't stop twitching, and sometimes the feeling shoots up my entire arm. I find sometimes like I'm not getting enough air to breath, and it feels like my heart goes a million miles per hour. I'm aware that these are probably panic attacks (hopefully), and usually I just grit my teeth and they eventually go away. But nowadays, they are happening almost constantly. It feels like it happens every few minutes, and I don't have break before the next one hits. I don't think I have panic disorder, since I'm not really afraid of the attacks themselves, I just really don't want to feel this way forever.

I've been debating on taking medication. I got a prescription filled by my doctor, and he confirmed that my symptoms were not anything serious. Blood pressure was completely normal. However, I still haven't had to strength to actually go get the prescription.

Maybe it's my insecurity, but I just don't want to feel weak and helpless, and have to depend on medication to get through life. For the past decade, I've been fighting really hard to keep my anxiety under control, and I wanted to conquer it with my own will and determination (and with no medication). I've made a lot of progress, but sometimes I feel that it is not quite enough. I just don't feel like involuntarily feeling like garbage everytime I go to work.

If you guys can relate, can you maybe give me a bit of advice? Am I thinking rationally?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Your having thoughts which are distorted. This leads to the strange underlying anxiety. Try CBT exercises, like what advice would you give to a friend having your same thoughts ?

I mean there’s more but it will help alleviate the anxiety

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
You need to figure out why you are experiencing this and deal with it directly (healthy habits are indirect ways of treating anxiety). I don't know how you might identify the core problem other than carefully examining all your thoughts, especially the sub-conscious impressions. (Since the doctor says you are fine medically, presumably the problem is psychological.)

Another alternative is to re-visit (physically or mentally) a time and/or place where this doesn't happen and try to figure out what is present or absent there to prevent the attacks.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to figure out why you are experiencing this and deal with it directly (healthy habits are indirect ways of treating anxiety). I don't know how you might identify the core problem other than carefully examining all your thoughts, especially the sub-conscious impressions. (Since the doctor says you are fine medically, presumably the problem is psychological.)

Another alternative is to re-visit (physically or mentally) a time and/or place where this doesn't happen and try to figure out what is present or absent there to prevent the attacks.
A fine piece of advice. Unfortunately, the feeling has always been there as far as I can remember.
I really can't remember a time when I felt particularly at ease, unless I am absorbed in the present moment. In the past, there was always something my family was worried about. Whether that is our finanical struggles, or where we were going to live a couple of months from now. I think lots of that stress reflected off to me, as anxiety has always been present force.

Pinpointing a certain time where I didn't feel anxious is pretty difficult. But I'll be sure to do some more psychological digging.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
In the past, there was always something my family was worried about. Whether that is our finanical struggles, or where we were going to live a couple of months from now. I think lots of that stress reflected off to me, as anxiety has always been present force.
Well, that seems like maybe it's the crux of the problem. I would explore lingering effects of this familial experience and try to resolve those effects.

·
Registered
INFP
266 Posts
I think others have given better advice that I can give, but I will give it a try. I would say I'm dealing with something similar. I'm fairly sure I know exactly what my dread is, and it's a general fear for my safety and that if something terrible happens to me or someone I love I don't know how I will handle it. Sometimes though it's just a general "bad" feeling when I'm supposed to be relaxing for bed.

Rationally I know that feeling this way is counterproductive; I'm sure you know this very well.. but feelings are so powerful for us in particular, and especially with anxiety the rationality seems to lose out to the bad feelings we're experiencing. I can tell you what has helped the attacks is having medication available but not necessarily taking it all the time, as well as having backups, things I know will calm my body (and not just 1 magic fix). Lately I've been dealing a lot with a slight breathing issue, and I think it comes from holding so much tension and forgetting that it's there. It REALLY helps me when my heart is racing or my breathing feels odd to be in the prone position. I'm not sure why just having an outside pressure on my chest helps calm me, but it could work for you.

I'm sorry if I'm completely off base! If you ever need someone to talk to about this stuff I'm open.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think others have given better advice that I can give, but I will give it a try. I would say I'm dealing with something similar. I'm fairly sure I know exactly what my dread is, and it's a general fear for my safety and that if something terrible happens to me or someone I love I don't know how I will handle it. Sometimes though it's just a general "bad" feeling when I'm supposed to be relaxing for bed.

Rationally I know that feeling this way is counterproductive; I'm sure you know this very well.. but feelings are so powerful for us in particular, and especially with anxiety the rationality seems to lose out to the bad feelings we're experiencing. I can tell you what has helped the attacks is having medication available but not necessarily taking it all the time, as well as having backups, things I know will calm my body (and not just 1 magic fix). Lately I've been dealing a lot with a slight breathing issue, and I think it comes from holding so much tension and forgetting that it's there. It REALLY helps me when my heart is racing or my breathing feels odd to be in the prone position. I'm not sure why just having an outside pressure on my chest helps calm me, but it could work for you.

I'm sorry if I'm completely off base! If you ever need someone to talk to about this stuff I'm open.
Thanks. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been getting better.
My main sense of dread is not something bad happening to me (at least, as far as I can tell), I feel that it is more rooted in my past. I'm not really scared of anything, I just feel uneasy all the time.
But I guess it is just another weed I have to get rid of

I'll try that outside pressure though, thanks for recommending that to me.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
41 Posts
I haven't ever really dealt with anxiety to a serious degree, but if I'm ever stressed out or not feeling myself in any way, I try to understand why first of all. And sometimes I can't find the root cause, because sometimes there isn't, I just am sad or anxious or upset, and that's okay. but remember when I was a kid probably 12 or 13 I was so tired of feeling that way all the time I made a list of things that seemed to take me out of that funk. I wrote down my favorite quotes, movies, comedy skits, the number of my best friend, writing and brainstorming new book ideas, I made a special playlist of songs that leveled me out of the abyss of feeling that's crushed and crumbled over me. I even had "emergency dance parties" to calm me down. And while these things didn't always work, the point of them was to realize theirs a lot that can keep me grounded, which can keep my from exploding all over the place.
Please don't read this and think I am making fun of mental illness at all. My way of coping is by making me feel alive and having fun, that's how I become grounded.
Sorry, this is so long, but I guess what I'm saying is find that thing that helps you cope and makes you feel grounded.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I haven't ever really dealt with anxiety to a serious degree, but if I'm ever stressed out or not feeling myself in any way, I try to understand why first of all. And sometimes I can't find the root cause, because sometimes there isn't, I just am sad or anxious or upset, and that's okay. but remember when I was a kid probably 12 or 13 I was so tired of feeling that way all the time I made a list of things that seemed to take me out of that funk. I wrote down my favorite quotes, movies, comedy skits, the number of my best friend, writing and brainstorming new book ideas, I made a special playlist of songs that leveled me out of the abyss of feeling that's crushed and crumbled over me. I even had "emergency dance parties" to calm me down. And while these things didn't always work, the point of them was to realize theirs a lot that can keep me grounded, which can keep my from exploding all over the place.
Please don't read this and think I am making fun of mental illness at all. My way of coping is by making me feel alive and having fun, that's how I become grounded.
Sorry, this is so long, but I guess what I'm saying is find that thing that helps you cope and makes you feel grounded.
Yeah, I know one of the key strategies I use (and was taught) is to ground myself in whatever I am doing. Take it from me, you are giving great advice.
I probably won't go as far as to have an "emergency dance party" (I'll spare everyone the sight lol), but I'll just focus on whatever I'm doing.
The anxiety always does pass if you give it enough time, it just gets annoying when it gets in the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts