Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am confused and I would love it if somebody took a minute or so to explain this to me.
I have been typed as an INFp and an INTp but I know an INFp has a well-developed Fi and an INTp's last dominant function is Fe. These types seem very different in terms of the order and dominance of their preferences they use. I just don't understand how I am typed as both. How should I consolidate the fluctuating between the two? What specific preference is it that I change? I just don't get it and I have tried searching online but nothing seems to answer my specific question.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Why are you putting the last letter in lowercase? Are you using mbti? - because if so, then the letters are in static caps or not caps: xxxx or XXXX. (Putting the last letter in lowercase is a socionics thing. Not a very good one either because it only causes confusion, so I stick to the three letter form of labeling each type. Also, an INTp in socionics is Ni Te, for example. Very different from mbti's intp/INTP)

Are you using tests? Which ones?

What other material have you gone by online to type yourself?

Have you made a 'type-me' thread?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Imagine that you are a being where each and every of all your choices leads to an infinite amount of possibilities forking and branching off from the moment you make such a decision.

As a result, there are an infinitesimal amount of different versions of yourself. You may stray off towards more INTp, you may stray more off towards INFp.

If you consider this to be a probability, then you're the dimensional version of all your other probabilities trapped in the middle of the dimensional spectrum. Therefore, you're just as confused as the next dimensional version of yourself asking the same question at this very moment in time in another plane of existence. And she, too, is seeking the same answers you are, except, answered differently by different people, in a different state of causality loop.

You're not confused. Everyone else is just loony in your spectrum of normality!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you putting the last letter in lowercase? Are you using mbti? - because if so, then the letters are in static caps or not caps: xxxx or XXXX. (Putting the last letter in lowercase is a socionics thing. Not a very good one either because it only causes confusion, so I stick to the three letter form of labeling each type. Also, an INTp in socionics is Ni Te, for example. Very different from mbti's intp/INTP)

Are you using tests? Which ones?

What other material have you gone by online to type yourself?

Have you made a 'type-me' thread?
I think you have identified my problem. I thought Socionics and MBTI supplemented each other. I didn't realize they were two entirely different theories.

I need to do more research. Any recommendations for good sources (websites, books, etc)?

No, I haven't made a "type me" thread. I shall do that.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imagine that you are a being where each and every of all your choices leads to an infinite amount of possibilities forking and branching off from the moment you make such a decision.

As a result, there are an infinitesimal amount of different versions of yourself. You may stray off towards more INTp, you may stray more off towards INFp.

If you consider this to be a probability, then you're the dimensional version of all your other probabilities trapped in the middle of the dimensional spectrum. Therefore, you're just as confused as the next dimensional version of yourself asking the same question at this very moment in time in another plane of existence. And she, too, is seeking the same answers you are, except, answered differently by different people, in a different state of causality loop.

You're not confused. Everyone else is just loony in your spectrum of normality!
Then why does everyone try to type themselves "by the book" as an intp when the odds of having pure intp preferences are close to none?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The reason of so much confusion and mistyping is that online tests don’t work, because they focus on behavior and not cognitive processes.

Reading online type profiles to type yourself is another mistake because again they focus on behavior.

INTPs and INFPs behave in very similar ways, for example they both are daydreamers, loners, etc.

Two persons can exhibit the same behavior but for two diametrically different reasons.

The only way to type you correctly is by understanding the cognitive functions.

We are all thinkers, and feelers. We are both sensors and intuitives, we are both introverts and extroverts.

The question is what kind and in what order.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I think you have identified my problem. I thought Socionics and MBTI supplemented each other. I didn't realize they were two entirely different theories.

I need to do more research. Any recommendations for good sources (websites, books, etc)?

No, I haven't made a "type me" thread. I shall do that.
Firstly, completely ignore socionics.com. Its garbage.

The functions in mbti and socionics mean different things. I use the Te/Ti example a lot because I find they are very different between the systems. Te in mbti doesn't mean the same thing as Te in socionics.

Are you interested in your mbti type, or your socionics type, or both?

I can help you get that part straight, and yeah, making a type-me thread would help too.

As far as information on socionics:

Here are the functions: IM elements - WSWiki

Here is the main page, with all the type profiles: Main Page - WSWiki

Then why does everyone try to type themselves "by the book" as an intp when the odds of having pure intp preferences are close to none?
What I would do to try to help you is see what functions you use most.. but I wouldn't go the mbti route, as I find their function descriptions and system flawed. I'd use socionics. I'll help when you make the type-me thread if you want. Just mention me in it so I know you have it up.

Reactions: Ista and kikikins

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have taken a lot of MBTI tests but I found the Cognitive Test to be most effective/accurate. Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Result: XXXX
After that you should Google like this: "XXXX Jungian Cognitive Function Analysis." and click on the Personality Nation link. It's the most accurate description I have come across.

I was under the same dilemma as you. I was confused between INTP and INFP. My Cognitive Results pointed to ENTP. So, I am an introverted ENTP. @kikikins But if I go by MBTI (behavior), I am an INTP.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Firstly, completely ignore socionics.com. Its garbage.

The functions in mbti and socionics mean different things. I use the Te/Ti example a lot because I find they are very different between the systems. Te in mbti doesn't mean the same thing as Te in socionics.

Are you interested in your mbti type, or your socionics type, or both?

I can help you get that part straight, and yeah, making a type-me thread would help too.

As far as information on socionics:

Here are the functions: IM elements - WSWiki

Here is the main page, with all the type profiles: Main Page - WSWiki
Thanks, I would like to know both.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Everyone wants something to believe in. If they believe they're a fish, they're a fish. If they're a piranha, they're a shark. Are you a whale or a squid? I'm a shrimp, otherwise, also known as a prawn.

Anyway... by-the-book is a harsh indicator... it's not meant to be taken at face value or a generalization. It's merely to be used as a reference. People change, people CAN evolve... if they can shed away from their type shell into another persona without relapse, then good for them, however, depending on lifes' circumstance, either 1) the person is comfortable being INTP therefore stuck in type mode... or 2) trauma drives them back to where they started as a younger version of themselves... and that also falls into type comfort zone.

Doesn't matter if INTP, INFP, XXXX, etc. it's just a classification system to organize what otherwise would be indescribable chaos.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
FWIW, @kikikins , based on discussions of political opinions and legal matters on here, you seem much more likely to use Ti than Te to me.

I can't picture an INFP espousing libertarianism, ever, although I guess it's possible. It's basically the anti-Fi political doctrine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts