Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello hello, an INTP friend of mine directed me towards this forum, it seems to be a thorough repository about a lot of subjects on personality types, yet I don't really know where to fit in.

So far, I identify most with the ISFJ personality type and after doing a couple of tests this one seems to be the consensus.
And even though I agree with most of what I've come across, I feel (and this is where I go wrong) I exhibit enough skill in the opposing traits and use these to positive effect, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything properly.

First off, before I start rambling, (I feel the need to explain myself) I don't want to come across as self centered or full of myself and I usually don't really like talking about myself, but I figure I need to start somewhere;

I vs E:
I've monitored myself over the past couple of months and found I gain energy from both social interactions and being alone in an equal rate.
As a matter of fact, the proportions of how much time I need with others are almost always the same; For every day of alone time I need about 2.5 hours of social interaction to charge up, and for every 2.5 hours of social interaction I will need about a day of alone time to charge up again as well. (Up to a maximum of 8 hours of social interaction total, which totally drains me)
Also, While I'm not good (I'm terrible) at expressing my deepest feelings properly, I'm fairly good at talking about them.
I also like to listen to other people's emotions, troubles and provide support whenever needed and I even do this with people I don't know even though this drains me a lot.
People also tell me they think I come across more as an extrovert than an introvert, but I think this is just a role I assume in public.
While applying for a job I can be very open, linguistic and receptive to other people's emotional state, body language and attitude towards me and swiftly adjust to the situation.
Finally; I would prefer a job in which I can interact with and help people on a personal basis, strangely, this would be a retail profession in which I help/guide people towards a purchase that best fits their needs (instead of selling expensive junk they don't need).
Or a management position in which I take heart to my employees' wishes and carefully construct a productive environment through motivation and loyalty.
Also, while I avoid conflict, I like having discussions, sometimes even heated ones.

S vs N:
Well, hardly any doubt about this, I'm not good at seeing bigger pictures and most of the time need some degree of explanation to get a point.
Though, with time, I can come to understand these concept, I can start visualizing them and figure out ways to get there, or take a familiar route and improve on it.
As I've said, I have trouble constructing truly new ideas, but with ample time I can visualize and plan projects nothing short of an N type.

F vs T:
As far as I've understood so far, in a nutshell, F means the thought process is (mostly) influenced by feelings, and T by actual facts.
This is another trait I'm at a bit of a crossroads with, as I can easily think and assess purely based on facts and literal data when I'm 'being serious' (think work or a personal important project), but I feel that in a natural state my thinking pattern is usually composed of feeling driver thoughts.

J vs P.
Short of any biblical god, I'm the most Judgmental person you'll ever encounter... Haha, no, I'm joking, of course not.
In all seriousness, from what I've gathered J means structure, security and well defined rules, while P, means flexibility and freedom of these rules.
While I'm not sure about this, I do think I'm more of a J than a P.
I like to live by a certain set of rules based on my moral judgment, ethics and of how I perceive the world and I don't mind abiding to authority figures and laws (as long as it doesn't cross my moral values), but I do also value freedom a lot.
I don't want to be constricted by what other people define as normal, and I absolutely resent contracts unless they favor me in particular.
An example would be working for a company and get an on-call contract for 40 hours and be able to tell my boss I'll piss off somewhere to else when I'm bored or otherwise become uninterested in the job than being bound by a contract that doesn't allow any leeway.
HOWEVER... It all becomes irrelevant when I'm working in an environment that suits me, where I feel 'right at home' and where I'm being appreciated, in that case, give me that contract and never let go of me, because I'll work like a horse.

Okay, I feel like I might have wandered off here and I'm not sure how it all fits in there, but I hope the point has come across.

On a final note, something that may or may not influence my personality type;
I have been under quite a lot of stress lately, 15 months to be precise, but I feel it's starting to get a little bit better by the day.
I've been struck by a car while I was cycling and I still haven't recovered, I'm still experiencing (quite a lot of) pain and a loss of function in my left eye.
Add to that the pressure of my lawyer, the welfare bureau and the rehabilitation agency who want me back to work and I sometimes feel like I want to cry wail scream punch something.

Anyways... as I've said before, this post wasn't meant to ramble about myself, I really just want to get to know myself better before I want to start knowing other people better (if you want to better the world, start with yourself).
I've found that over the past 2 years, it's become increasingly difficult to decipher myself, but maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
You can always get mixed results on the test depending on what kind of a day you are having. Since you are under a large amount of stress, this will affect your outcome. Just as well, if you have learned coping mechanisms from experience ... they eventually become habitual. Like for instance, ISFJs have a difficult time saying no. I used to be this person, until I realized how easy and more happy I am when I do say no. The person who can define her boundaries immediately with anyone is usually not considered an ISFJ ... yet here I am. To be honest, I think it is better when you reach more of a 50/50 in your mbti scores ... as it implies you are achieving balance in your life. Isn't that what ultimately what we are striving to do?

Take the test at similarminds.com as it gives you percentiles (and a longer version of the test.)

Reactions: Zen Lizard

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Shale, I am actually having difficulties saying no and I feel like I'm often bending over backwards into a corkscrew with my head between my legs in order to ft into people's expectations of me.
I already knew this of myself and have been working on it because I felt I was being taken advantage of, but I still haven't been able to let go of the need to 'please' the people around me and the people I (potentially) work for.

The 50/50 sounds rather hopeful for me then and maybe I'm actually heading in the right direction.
I have to say, on good days, being able to "switch" between I and E has it's perks and T over F has had a lot of professional benefits for me as well.
Perhaps I'm trying to force myself into traits I am not instead of developing these weaker traits.

Thank you for the website, I'm checking it out right now and it's got quite a bit of material to work with.
Incidentally, I also came across a topic that I can't link due to my post count yet.
So many things suddenly started making sense that I'm starting to feel guilty that I didn't come up with it myself. :I
I knew signing up to this place would be worth it!

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,831 Posts
"I don't want to ramble on about my self". Now you just have to not want to be a millionaire and you will be a very rich person.

As far as saying no goes. If you can't directly refuse then just say let me think about it and buy yourself sometime. I never been in a situation where I just absolutely felt I am trapped by peoples request. I always want to help and feel I should and I do it under my own decision rather than being pressured.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I don't want to ramble on about my self". Now you just have to not want to be a millionaire and you will be a very rich person.
I'll work on it, but as the song goes; I wanna be a millionaire, so fucking ba(hahaaaa)d.
Nawh, on a more serious note, it's really something I need to work on.

johnson said:
As far as saying no goes. If you can't directly refuse then just say let me think about it and buy yourself sometime. I never been in a situation where I just absolutely felt I am trapped by peoples request. I always want to help and feel I should and I do it under my own decision rather than being pressured.
Well, the thing is, when I get pressured in a negative way, I'll either do something once for that person (if it's easy enough) and then never again, or I completely reject the request at all.
This, however, gets increasingly hard for me when I deal with good friends, close family or my fiancee, though I have been able to make major progress with her.

It's just that when I accept a task/job/request/whatever from anyone, I get so caught up in wanting to do it perfectly that I almost always downplay every minor aspect that didn't live up to my expectations, so I work extra hard to deliver something perfect.
If I feel I didn't do a satisfactory job (Read: perfect job) then I feel I have failed the entire thing properly.
So maybe I don't bend over backwards for other people, maybe it's just for me so I don't feel guilty over doing a crappy job (and thus feel guilty of doing a proper job).

Either way I feel guilty, whether if it is when I say no, or whether if I say yet and do a 'not entirely perfect job', even though I realist no one is perfect and perfect is a subjective form.
I just have unreasonably high expectations of myself and therefor demand a superior grade of professionalism in everything I do.

Self reflection is fun, thanks, it helps! :) (No sarcasm intended)

·
Registered
503 Posts
A comment on F vs. T I might be wrong-I'm not as well versed on the functions as some people on this forum are-but this is the way I've come to understand it.

A person using Thinking will weigh the options, and pick the best choice based on logic. A person with Feeling will weight the options-but in the end might decide to make their decision based on how they feel.

For instance, last month I was going to visit my friend who lives out of state. But I kept feeling unsure about it, and then I had a "worry" dream. Finally, I texted her and told her it didn't feel right so I wasn't coming.

Logically, there was no reason I couldn't go. I had the money,my car was fine, I had taken off work, etc. But I felt unsettled, and decided not to go. In the end it worked out. I had a lot on my plate, and I probably still could have gone, but it would have been highly stressful.

Anyway, perhaps I am misreading the functions, but that's what I've taken it to mean. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
503 Posts
@angelcat I took a look at the link you gave. As usual my results made no sense. -_- I've never been very good at studying these functions, but as I looked over the ones listed, I repeatedly got 3 extroverted functions and only one introverted function. Which, you know, is impossible. Any advice on what else to read?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@angelcat I took a look at the link you gave. As usual my results made no sense. -_- I've never been very good at studying these functions, but as I looked over the ones listed, I repeatedly got 3 extroverted functions and only one introverted function. Which, you know, is impossible. Any advice on what else to read?
I'd be happy to help you figure out your type, by helping you understand the functions better in relation to yourself, but I'm not sure I can do it right away. I have company coming and staying all weekend! I'll remember to come back, and continue this discussion.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Okay, well, I assume you know something about the functions? Enough to distinguish between them?

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
I vs E:

I've monitored myself over the past couple of months and found I gain energy from both social interactions and being alone in an equal rate.
Jung would explain introversion and extroversion based on how you orient around the object, but not how drained you get from social interaction exactly. What that really means, is that you would prefer to gain your energy by pulling meaning from the object (through Introverted Sensing) than to be part of the object (leading with a extroverted function).

As a matter of fact, the proportions of how much time I need with others are almost always the same; For every day of alone time I need about 2.5 hours of social interaction to charge up, and for every 2.5 hours of social interaction I will need about a day of alone time to charge up again as well. (Up to a maximum of 8 hours of social interaction total, which totally drains me)

Also, While I'm not good (I'm terrible) at expressing my deepest feelings properly, I'm fairly good at talking about them. I also like to listen to other people's emotions, troubles and provide support whenever needed and I even do this with people I don't know even though this drains me a lot.
In other words, you only can be part of the object for so long before you need to be on your own to reflect on what you've absorbed from the interaction. Ideally, having Fe higher in your stack would make you more drawn to ethics (usually people), but your dominant Si at one point needs a break from constantly being consumed by the object. Hence, you need time alone to ponder your discoveries - become drained.

People also tell me they think I come across more as an extrovert than an introvert, but I think this is just a role I assume in public.
How shy or outgoing you are has nothing to do with introversion. As an INTJ, I can be very talkative and outgoing, especially when I'm passionate about information that I'm discussing.

While applying for a job I can be very open, linguistic and receptive to other people's emotional state, body language and attitude towards me and swiftly adjust to the situation.
Indication of Extroverted Feeling seeking harmony.

Also, while I avoid conflict, I like having discussions, sometimes even heated ones.
You would call that healthy critical thinking.

S vs N:
Well, hardly any doubt about this, I'm not good at seeing bigger pictures and most of the time need some degree of explanation to get a point. Though, with time, I can come to understand these concept, I can start visualizing them and figure out ways to get there, or take a familiar route and improve on it. As I've said, I have trouble constructing truly new ideas, but with ample time I can visualize and plan projects nothing short of an N type.
Sounds more like Si than Ni.

F vs T:
As far as I've understood so far, in a nutshell, F means the thought process is (mostly) influenced by feelings, and T by actual facts. This is another trait I'm at a bit of a crossroads with, as I can easily think and assess purely based on facts and literal data when I'm 'being serious' (think work or a personal important project), but I feel that in a natural state my thinking pattern is usually composed of feeling driver thoughts.
It would be better to consider F as ethical values and how they interact with the object. For example, it appears to me that you have Extroverted Feeling within your stack, because you're drawn more towards looking at people objectively (to focus and adapt to the object). Introverted Feelers in a sense compare themselves to how they're different than the object, not how they can be one with it exactly.

J vs P.
Short of any biblical god, I'm the most Judgmental person you'll ever encounter... Haha, no, I'm joking, of course not.
In all seriousness, from what I've gathered J means structure, security and well defined rules, while P, means flexibility and freedom of these rules.
You can consider J/P with J seeking closure and P seeking exploration.

You sound like an ISFJ to me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa, I forget to check my own thread a couple of days and I suddenly get a boatload of information.
Thanks!

SNIP

You sound like an ISFJ to me.
Yeah... I know I guess.
I made this thread in order to collect subjective and objective information from fellow forum goers, but I came across links directing me towards functions and the like, also a thread on how ISFJ's react to stress and a few threads on ISFJ basic behavior in multiple environments.

What it eventually came down to is that I wasn't (and probably still am not) up to date on knowledge about types and functions as much as I want to, but being subscribed to this forum has provided a very helpful start and a humongous repository of data that I've already tapped into, though I feel I've only scraped the surface yet.

Thanks for your input Abstruse, it's solid information which I can use. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts