Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would post here instead of the advice section because I want your opinions and I figured no one really looks at the advice section.

Anyways, I have a job interview tomorrow and yes, it's another retail job, but I would much rather work at this place than my current job because a) they pay more and b) I heard it's much better there.

I was thinking of telling the lady giving the interview that I was an INTP when she asked "So tell me about yourself" because well I don't know what else to say and I figure that's the easiest way to describe me. I mean I'm going to say other things as well but I kind of wanted to add INTP into that.

Do you think I should say that or no because she might not even know what MBTI is and so why bother?

If you don't think I should, what would you suggest I say instead?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Take a deep breathe.

Close your eyes to gather your thoughts if you have to.

Be passionate about explaining who and what you are when explaining who you are.

The tone of your voice carries confidence and determination even if it makes very little sense, however, do maintain and try to keep some sense so the interviewer has something to latch on to keep up with you.

Smash your palm to get a point across if you have to.

Cross your fingers your interviewer is not ExxJ with a vendetta against introverts.

But do whatever you have to to not be monotonic. Even I hate that shit and cry my mind for the clock / interview to be over.... on both giving and receiving interview ends.

And keep nose contact. If eye contact is intimidating, stare through their head or concentrate on nose/mouth.... he/she can't tell the difference anyway.

GOOD LUCK, MISS!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a deep breathe.

Close your eyes to gather your thoughts if you have to.

Be passionate about explaining who and what you are when explaining who you are.

The tone of your voice carries confidence and determination even if it makes very little sense, however, do maintain and try to keep some sense so the interviewer has something to latch on to keep up with you.

Smash your palm to get a point across if you have to.

Cross your fingers your interviewer is not ExxJ with a vendetta against introverts.

But do whatever you have to to not be monotonic. Even I hate that shit and cry my mind for the clock / interview to be over.... on both giving and receiving interview ends.

And keep nose contact. If eye contact is intimidating, stare through their head or concentrate on nose/mouth.... he/she can't tell the difference anyway.

GOOD LUCK, MISS!
Well thank you! :D

I spoke with her on the phone and she seemed nice enough, so I'm hoping I'm right. >.>

I could always go in sounding like some cocky ENTP because that's always fun.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
"I'm really good at making sure decisions make sense."

"I'm easy to work with because I don't take criticism personally."

"I have a creative mind and an eye for the original and unique."

"I work well in a team-based atmosphere." (try not to twitch too much when you say this)

Basically just slickly overstate your strengths and refuse to acknowledge weaknesses. The closer to perfect you appear, the more likely it is that they'll not just hire you, but let you run the entire business.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a job interview yesterday and was absolutely dreading the 'tell me about yourself' section. I started with the very generic stuff (I'm 27, no kids, studied political science at LSU) and then talked about my family since I am very close to them. My brother is getting married soon, and as soon as I said that my interviewer went all girly on me and I was able to deflect the question away from me.
So, in short, my advice would be to not tell her you are an INTP. I have found that some people see that as a very negative thing. I would start with the basics, don't speed talk, and deflect within 30 seconds or so. It always works for me. :happy:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a job interview yesterday and was absolutely dreading the 'tell me about yourself' section. I started with the very generic stuff (I'm 27, no kids, studied political science at LSU) and then talked about my family since I am very close to them. My brother is getting married soon, and as soon as I said that my interviewer went all girly on me and I was able to deflect the question away from me.
So, in short, my advice would be to not tell her you are an INTP. I have found that some people see that as a very negative thing. I would start with the basics, don't speed talk, and deflect within 30 seconds or so. It always works for me. :happy:

Since when is being an INTP a negative thing?..

Oh wait. Yeah, never mind. :laughing:

So basically say a few basic things and try to get the conversation away from you?

·
Registered
41 Posts
@badgers I love being an INTP! :tongue: I've just found that some folks don't care for us too much, plus your interviewer may not even know what that means.

That is my sage advice, deflect, deflect, deflect. It almost always works, especially if you have a friendly/talkative interviewer. Just remember to be pleasant and smile occasionally (I sometimes forget that part).

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@badgers I love being an INTP! :tongue: I've just found that some folks don't care for us too much, plus your interviewer may not even know what that means.

That is my sage advice, deflect, deflect, deflect. It almost always works, especially if you have a friendly/talkative interviewer. Just remember to be pleasant and smile occasionally (I sometimes forget that part).

I do too. :tongue:
I was kidding (sort of. (half kidding? (wait what am I doing?)))

Idk what I did, but go with it.

Should I even mention that I'm an introvert or would that send a 'bad' message?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@badgers Oh, I got the humor, I even smiled! :laughing:

Hmmm....to mention or not to mention. I guess it depends on the job description. If you will be working with customers a lot, maybe not a good idea. If you will be in an office all day shut off from the world (doesn't that sound nice?), maybe it could work for you.
Okay good! My sense of humor can be very random, or completely dry, there's no in between, I wonder why..

Anyways, unfortunately I will be with people all day, so maybe my introversion will be 'bad thing' but then again who knows?

Maybe I'll say something along the lines of "I'm 20 years old and still at home and saving up for my own place. I may not be the most out going person, but I get along with everyone." Maybe something like that because it hints at my introversion but doesn't 'send a bad message.'

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay good! My sense of humor can be very random, or completely dry, there's no in between, I wonder why..

Anyways, unfortunately I will be with people all day, so maybe my introversion will be 'bad thing' but then again who knows?

Maybe I'll say something along the lines of "I'm 20 years old and still at home and saving up for my own place. I may not be the most out going person, but I get along with everyone." Maybe something like that because it hints at my introversion but doesn't 'send a bad message.'
My advice would be to not say negative things about yourself. It may be true that you are not the most out going person, but the interviewer doesn't need to know that. Play to the strength in that statement, that you get along well with everyone. IF you are asked that stupid question 'what is your biggest weakness', try to play that to your strengths as well. You may think that you are just being honest and genuine but you also should remember that interviews for jobs that you don't really care about are just a game, and you want to win the game.

Oh, and dry humor is the bestest...I love it :happy:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My advice would be to not say negative things about yourself. It may be true that you are not the most out going person, but the interviewer doesn't need to know that. Play to the strength in that statement, that you get along well with everyone. IF you are asked that stupid question 'what is your biggest weakness', try to play that to your strengths as well. You may think that you are just being honest and genuine but you also should remember that interviews for jobs that you don't really care about are just a game, and you want to win the game.

Oh, and dry humor is the bestest...I love it :happy:

Why can't INTPs interview other INTPs so I don't have to bullshit around. Oy, I would love that.

NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE MYSELF AND I'M SAD!

No but seriously, I don't know what to say. D:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I wouldn't mention the INTP thing. You're giving away too much information where it's not needed. I don't think the interviewer would be that much interested in psychology. If you were to explain what INTP means, there might be several misunderstandings. INTPs do not have the right personality traits for those kinds of jobs, imo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why can't INTPs interview other INTPs so I don't have to bullshit around. Oy, I would love that.

NOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE MYSELF AND I'M SAD!

No but seriously, I don't know what to say. D:
I love that idea....INTPs interviewing other INTPs
Look at that, an INTP is over analyzing a situation. shocking :laughing:

Start with the very basic (age, city, school). Then mention some stuff you like or study (if it isn't too 'weird'). I am TERRIBLE at stupid, meaningless small talk so I totally understand your distress. Practice saying it (if it helps) to make sure it flows well. If it is one of the first questions, you can always start with the generic then move onto your work/school experiences to transition to another topic that is relevant to the job you're interviewing for.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
You're good with analogies. If this is your first job, use the game design concepts of Animal Crossing to bullshit how you utilized the same time management principles applied to every day life with project management.

It may not answer how you manage people, but depending how clearly and passionate you explain the intricacies of examples that happen ingame that had contributed to your real life experiences, that's something to note.

The idea here is to not let the interviewer prejudge you playing games but the fact that you can apply the experience from something as simple as a 'game' to attribute to something fundamental as in workflow processing.

But hey... if there are closed minded individuals out there who prejudge 'oh, this person is a lazy gamer with no motivation or direction', then they're just shallow or perhaps they're having a bad day going through some mood.

I know quite a few interviewers who if on a good day, would hire even the worst of interviewees, and on the worst of days, reject even the best of interviewees. The ones I sit in on which my management peers rejects, I look at the resume and overhear the speech. I can detect who fakes or feigns ignorance and who the humble and knowledgeable ones are.

But to simply hire someone because they're socially adept over someone who can do the job more efficiently, ehhhh.... that's another topic altogether.

Although we can suggest what you should say, I feel you need to say things and be enthusiastic from your heart. Being honest up front should be the way to go.

But that's just how I feel though.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I love that idea....INTPs interviewing other INTPs
Look at that, an INTP is over analyzing a situation. shocking :laughing:

Start with the very basic (age, city, school). Then mention some stuff you like or study (if it isn't too 'weird'). I am TERRIBLE at stupid, meaningless small talk so I totally understand your distress. Practice saying it (if it helps) to make sure it flows well. If it is one of the first questions, you can always start with the generic then move onto your work/school experiences to transition to another topic that is relevant to the job you're interviewing for.
thank you! I do hate small talk, I always feel weird.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I do too. :tongue:
I was kidding (sort of. (half kidding? (wait what am I doing?)))

Idk what I did, but go with it.

Should I even mention that I'm an introvert or would that send a 'bad' message?
No, don't say so. When I do that sort of thing, I say I work really well with people and am very friendly. Doesn't matter too much if it's totally true or not, just so long as you keep up an appearance that you are, well at least most of the time. Quite honestly, most employees don't seem to live up to their interviews, so it doesn't matter. Just so long as you show up to work and actually do it, most managers should be happy.

Reactions: badgers

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
To be honest I would be more critical of another INTP if I was reviewing them for a job then if I was reviewing any other type.

I also experienced this happening to me in high school during a mock interview.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
To be honest I would be more critical of another INTP if I was reviewing them for a job then if I was reviewing any other type.
I totally agree. Especially if they went ahead and mentioned it themselves.

Reactions: Negativity Bias

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Please don't use any mtbi jargon or introduce yourself as intp and all that jazz, save that for people that can actually think. If you want the job, tell them exactly what they want to hear and thats it. If you don't feel that comfortable about deceiving yourself a little bit, then pick the thing about yourself that is most tailored for retail position. So for INTP I would say something like: efficient and punctual, good at comprehending directions and orders (but not obeying them lolol dont say this part mmk), cooperative and understanding of people (even though ppl are stupid!). This is all very general stuff that works well. I think the more specific you go the less likely you are to get a job. These interviewers want to hear music in their ears that make them feel well so why not give it to them. Also, I would strongly suggest you stay away from telling them you are creative or original because the type of job you are seeking requires the employee to be complete standard and obedient. They can't have no crazy intp all up in their bisnatch doing something out of line ffs thats what ruins business, any sort of deviation or experimentation from the norm. Good luck, lie a lot its fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.