Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is something that I've been noticing in myself lately, and I've been thinking about it a lot - I never feel bored. If I'm doing something I consider boring, like laundry, I'll recognize that it's a boring task, but I don't actually feel bored. I can't remember the last time I thought, "I'm bored." This seems to be because if whatever I'm doing in the physical world is not interesting to me, my mind will check out and I'll be daydreaming or thinking about something that I do find interesting. Sometimes this means I start "spacing out," but over the years I've become very good at keeping part of my attention focused on the real world, as a sort of mental "lookout," if you will.

I guess I've just started to think about this lately, but I realize that it's been the case throughout my life. All the time I hear a people people talk about how bored they are, but I thought "I can't be the only person like this..." So I figured I'd get some outside opinions. Here are some questions I'm most curious about:

1. Have you experienced this in your life?

2. If so, did you realize it? (Before reading this post of course lol.)

3. Do you think you know other people like this and/or do you think this is more common than it seems?

4. Do you think this is connected to personality type?

5. Do you think it's more difficult to keep certain types from getting bored - for example, do you think some people require more tangible "real-world" things to keep them interested?

I'm interested in any thoughts you'd like to share. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Depends on the activity... I'll space out as you describe if the task is pretty menial, like kitchen work, especially if I can listen to good music at the same time. Not so much with more strenuous tasks, like yard work.

Sometimes my main problem is when my mind gets bored while doing a task that I would rather not be bored doing, and wanders. Nothing like reading 10 pages of a book and then realizing you didn't actually read​ them...

·
Registered
395 Posts
1. Yes i experience the same as you. I don't think I have never been bored, because if I would be in the situation of starting to feel bored (maybe at a boring party) I start to think of one of my projects, or an idea I have. It happens automatically. Then the boredom goes away and it makes me excited.

2. I started realizing it around a year ago I think. It is interesting that you brought it up in this thread!

3. I haven't discussed it with anyone else, so I don't know how common it is.

4. I don't know if it is type specific. But maybe passions in life that involves a lot of thinking makes you keep boredom away, you can "check out" to that mindset for a while.

5. I don't know. What do you think?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thankyou for posting this! It's something I'd been thinking about for a while :)

I have to travel on public transport for 4 hours a day to go to uni (2 hours each way) which is a whole lot of sitting there doing nothing. The thing is, I don't really mind it. Yeah it's a drag because of the time it takes up, but I get to daydream for hours. I was trying mindfulness (pretty much trying not to think) on the bus one day and I only lasted about 90 seconds, but afterwards I thought t myself "if I had to do that for the whole trip, I would kill everyone on this bus out of boredom". Now I totally get what people mean when they say they hate public transport.

Obviously, that's an extreme example. I'm sure everyone daydreams to an extent to get rid of boredom (don't they?), but when I think about it, I probably spend a minimum 6 hours a day daydreaming :/ Sometimes I walk around my house and just think about stuff for an hour or so.

The only time I'm bored is when I'm with people and we have nothing to do, so I feel like I can't daydream because I have to pay attention.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Have you ever been a cashier at a grocery store? You aren't allowed the chance to space out there. You have to constantly be aware of all customers, constantly aware of your facial expressions to make sure you are smiling, and deal with everyone effectively.

Let me tell you, I'm very bored there xD Unless my co-workers and I play games in-between haha. Okay, maybe bored isn't the right emotion--but exhaustion is.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Have you ever been a cashier at a grocery store? You aren't allowed the chance to space out there. You have to constantly be aware of all customers, constantly aware of your facial expressions to make sure you are smiling, and deal with everyone effectively.
I understand this one. I was as server at my last job for a while and every moment was torture. My current job doesn't offer anymore freedom but I don't have to deal with unruly customers anymore. Or at least not on such a constant basis.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I understand this one. I was as server at my last job for a while and every moment was torture. My current job doesn't offer anymore freedom but I don't have to deal with unruly customers anymore. Or at least not on such a constant basis.
I've realized how hard it probably is for INFJs to work in these part time jobs--there just isn't any meaning in it for us :/ We aren't "doing" anything: just serving. Might as well be a robot.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've realized how hard it probably is for INFJs to work in these part time jobs--there just isn't any meaning in it for us :/ We aren't "doing" anything: just serving. Might as well be a robot.
I get a sense of meaning from working with my coworkers as well as our regulars. I used to be a manager at my last job and it's a bit more rewarding than my current job but I honestly hate working in food service. Once I start my career, whatever I'm doing isn't going to suck this much but until then, I'll just have to use it as motivation.

Reactions: Eleven

·
Registered
544 Posts
I used to say the same thing, but...then I started on my current temporary job, and I am bored. The problem is two-fold...

Generally, when faced with any menial task, I can wander off in my head and comfortably daydream until the task is done. This is part of parallel processing (imagine a railroad track for me). The problem here is I can't just wander off and introspect, I have to really pay attention to the forms I'm checking for accuracy. So, what happens is I'm constantly hauling my mind back from an introspective state to pay attention to what's in front of me. It's akin to jumping back an forth across the rails on our imaginary railroad track. Intensely frustrating because I can't seem to stay in the present moment, where I want to be, long enough to get a rhythm going so I can work faster.

Instead, I end up feeling trapped in between states. I can't quite manage to stay on one side or the other. So, I end up dithering about in my work; doing it slowly and knowing I'm being slow and feeling helpless to speed myself up. It's a torturous place to be, and this is where I feel bored, as I'm unable to commit to any task at all.

Eventually, something happens and my head clears, and suddenly I've sunk into the moment where I'm chugging along quite rapidly. But it only ever lasts a while before some new thought entrances and ensnares me, pulling me away to the inside of my skull.

All of that said, outside of this instance, I'm rarely ever actually bored. Maybe listless, but not exactly bored. Not like what I've just described.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What is Boredom?

Collective brain-waves! :laughing:
The phenomenon of "never actually being bored" has become more and more apparent to me in recent years.
Whenever I'm told, "You're bored," I tend to shrug or smile wanly, if only to keep from cracking a huge grin. Wasn't I just on a voyage?
Boredom, like happiness, happens in fleeting moments. Daydreams, like contentment, are built on the possibility of realization, of more experiences that will enable growth. Always remember the opposites to things: If you have boredom, you must possess motivation. If you have anger, you must also have serenity. If you are sad, you have the capacity to understand, create and feel joy.
That adult you see, with his or her head in the clouds, is but a big kid and the child continues dreaming.
There is no shame in being escapist; what you plan or envision is closer to your heart than a grievance, if it is what you meditate on. It is the action of peering through open windows and not at the rows of closed doors. Just don't forget to take the steps necessary to create. You are exactly half of the manifestation you seek.
Possibilities are an idealist's trade; why shun that for a moment's brooding?
Because who can touch the man or woman with serenity in their minds and a child's imagination in their hearts?
They will suffer, but remain inexplicably, untouched.
I call that God; the protective God presence of every moment.

Sincerely,
Lady Nurture

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your responses!

Depends on the activity... I'll space out as you describe if the task is pretty menial, like kitchen work, especially if I canlisten to good music at the same time. Not so much with more strenuous tasks, like yard work.
Sometimes my main problem is when my mind gets bored while doing a task that I would rather not be bored doing, and wanders. Nothing like reading 10 pages of a book and then realizing you didn't actually read​ them...

Yeah I agree about it depending on the task at hand, though for me it’s usually easy to start daydreaming even if it’s something physically strenuous, whereas it’s harder to do during mentally strenuous tasks – but that’s the point – I’m not usually bored by mentally strenuous tasks, so I wouldn’t need to distract myself anyway. Also I know exactly what you mean about reading! Except I don’t really feel like it’s boredom – more like I become focused on one detail, like the description of a landscape, andmy mind will go off on a tangent based on that while I continue “reading” without really paying attention. It can be very annoying

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm experiencing some weird difficulties with how the formatting is showing up, so I apologize if some things are kinda strange...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2. I started realizing it around a year ago I think. It is interesting that you brought it up in this thread!
I was hoping I’d get some responses like this! :) It's always cool to know that somewhere out there, others are thinking of the same things.

5. I don't know. What do you think?
I’m not very well versed in the types (which is why I was hoping someone else would answer that haha) but I do think that different people need different types of stimulus to keep from getting bored. For example, reading vs running. Some people (myself included) are perfectly content to sit still for hours and read,while others would be bored to death by that unless they were, say, walking on a treadmill (what?!) at the same time haha. Does that make sense? And then of course those treadmill people would more likely be perfectly content to go running without necessarily having something to “think” about, and not get bored. I’m not sure if I explained that very well… And of course it’s just pretty vague and theoretical haha.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to travel on public transport for 4 hours a day to go to uni (2 hours each way) which is a whole lot of sitting there doing nothing. The thing is, I don't really mind it. Yeah it's a drag because of the time it takes up, but I get to daydream for hours.
I know exactly what you mean! People are usually surprised when I say that I really enjoy long car rides or flights, but I feel like I’ll sound a bit crazy if I say, “It’s because I get to daydream for hours without interruption.” Though I’m sure plenty of people would understand haha.

The only time I'm bored is when I'm with people and we have nothing to do, so I feel like I can't daydream because I have to pay attention.
Amen! The closest I come to getting bored is when I can’t leave a social situation that I don’t want to be in. I feel like people will be offended if I just space out, but it’s just so tiresome to be stuck on earth when my head wants to be in the clouds. That said, I still do it haha. I just try to keep half my attention on my actual surroundings by letting my daydreams be kind of mixed with what’s really happening – for example, if I were with some friends and they were going on with small talk (shudder) I might keep listening while imagining something like a more fantastical setting around us. Then it will be easier to pay attention to them because I’m pretending that in my peripheral vision I can see really awesome stuff, and the whole situation seems less boring.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me tell you, I'm very bored there xD Unless my co-workers and I play games in-between haha. Okay, maybe bored isn't the right emotion--but exhaustion is.

I haven’t worked at a store, but I have worked at restaurants where I had to bet he cashier amongst other things. I would also say that bored isn’t quite the right word – I find it interesting to watch people, to see how they interact with each other and how they treat strangers, so it was definitely more draining than boring for me. I know what you mean though – that type of job is naturally very exhausting for us introverts.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
1. Have you experienced this in your life? Yes

2. If so, did you realize it? (Before reading this post of course lol.) Yes

3. Do you think you know other people like this and/or do you think this is more common than it seems? Yes - in my husband (INFJ), brother (INFP), dad (ENTJ) and uncle (INxJ). I'm not sure how common it is but if the intuitive to sensor ratio is to be believed, and this is more naturally common in intuitive types than I'd say it is as common as it seems (less so).

4. Do you think this is connected to personality type? I would think it's naturally more common in intuitive types though I'm sure sensors are very capable of doing the same - I would just think they prefer their physical surroundings over their mental ones so they might tend to focus on the actual physical task they are doing a bit more. Also probably more common in introverts. Just a guess.

5. Do you think it's more difficult to keep certain types from getting bored - for example, do you think some people require more tangible "real-world" things to keep them interested? I used to get bored a lot when I was a kid. Everyone has introvert needs and extrovert needs after all....so I think this was happening when ever I was ready to interact with the world again. Still happens now of course but I'm more in control of the boredom. I don't let it control me. I go find something to stimulate my mind instead. Sometimes that is daydreaming but other times that is researching something etc.

When I was a kid I would make long lists of things I could do and I was very obsessive about it. I never actually DID anything on the list...it was just for future reference since my sister and our friends sometimes did this when we didn't know what to do. So I did it for them and because it gave me something to do. I felt like I was helping I guess.

I wouldn't say people who get bored more often are less intelligent or have less of an imagination. Some of them do I'm sure but I think it's sort of unfair to say that. Some people simply prefer the physical world - doesn't mean they are not capable of having an imagination. Everyone has that potential.

Reactions: Eleven and jalex

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, exactly! It’s always a struggle for me because I’m fascinated by people, but for the most part I don’t actually want to deal with them in person. I’m glad your current job isn’t so bad!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts