Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I strongly dislike anything super femimine. I cant exactly explain why but it makes me want to run away.

Baby showers, wedding showers, mom clubs. The color pink (I have a no pink policy). The conversation is dull and quite painful. Only if its a women only event.

Im an INTP female, is it an NT thing or just me? I just prefer the company and conversation of men. Always have. I did have a group of girl friends in high school who I love and hung around constantly but they were hilarious. They were a rare group. I do have women friends. I usually hang out with them one on one or double date.
Its a problem if you have kids or are married. Not socially acceptable. I would love to go out with a group of men on a "guys" night. They do fun things I would want to do. I end up asking my husband to go out with me to thise same places on a date because he went to a winery, axe throwing or a fun bar with games with the guys

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
I dislike things that are highly masculine. Of note, the subject of cars and trucks.

I just skipped a "guys' night" today because I didn't want to go. There's not much fun in going to a bar or multiple bars and watching a bunch of guys compete to prove who is the most sexually dominant. It's even weirder a situation due to the variety of people, some of which are weird and don't sync well with women. So it becomes a weird thing where the more successful one tries to "wingman" the unsuccessful one. It's basically exploitation for entertainment purposes.

At least that's how I view guys' night. Well, I guess that isn't fully a guys' night since they are putting themselves in a situation where women are nearby. Even if that isn't quite the case, I've witnessed pushing/shoving and other physical acts that make hanging out with guys uncomfortable in general. All of this is college age material anyway.

I actually went to a friend's house a long time ago and they weren't going to bars or seeking out women. They were basically nerds I suppose. That was a good time. I do say I dislike highly masculine things, but in fairness videos games, other things I guess could be considered masculine. It's not that nonsense.

I remember being taken to a party with alcohol the first time. I didn't enjoy it at all and I wouldn't be "wing-manned" by anyone again, especially after I never asked to be.

On the other hand, baby showers and wedding showers sound worse since there is no way to escape and drink oneself to death in the corner of the room. Wait, maybe there is room for that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what I mean by "guys night" is not exactly what you described.
I mean married guys who are not out to meet women or compete. Maybe what I really want is a goid group of married couples who just want to go out and have fun like I do.

Im having a game night in 2 weeks hopefully that will go well and there will be a good turnout. I would like to make it a regular thing.

I joined an online nerd group for yhat reason. So far all they have done is go out for cofee on days I couldnt attend or get together at a cafe on days I had other more fun things to do. Come on nerds! I like both video board and card games! Those are all nerdy. Plus I love star wars and doctor who. Im bound to make some friends there! Im waiting until they have something I can go to when Im not busy.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I don't think this is strictly a 'groups of women' problem. I feel the same in most social gatherings.

The larger the group is (and the larger the amount of people who have all willingly chosen to be there because they enjoy that kind of thing), the more dumbed down, generic and meaningless the situation becomes. Everything reduces to inane chatter and stories that mean nothing if you weren't there at the time. As well as this, large groups often result in disarray and indecision. Simple plans can take hours while you wait for conversations to finish, errands to be completed and consensus to be achieved. It's utterly soul destroying.

Having said that, I still like hanging out with people who are different from me. I only die inside when stuff turns into a full scale group activity.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I strongly dislike anything super femimine. I cant exactly explain why but it makes me want to run away.

Baby showers, wedding showers, mom clubs. The color pink (I have a no pink policy). The conversation is dull and quite painful. Only if its a women only event.

Im an INTP female, is it an NT thing or just me? I just prefer the company and conversation of men. Always have. I did have a group of girl friends in high school who I love and hung around constantly but they were hilarious. They were a rare group. I do have women friends. I usually hang out with them one on one or double date.
Its a problem if you have kids or are married. Not socially acceptable. I would love to go out with a group of men on a "guys" night. They do fun things I would want to do. I end up asking my husband to go out with me to thise same places on a date because he went to a winery, axe throwing or a fun bar with games with the guys
When you're in your early 20's and younger it's easy to hang out with guys, but for some reason that gets harder as you get older. I would suggest it may be because guys appear to believe that women have alterior motives if they try hanging out with a group of guys. Maybe some women can do this and it works fine; I'm not sure. I'm easily mis-read. I just stay at home now... wait, that's what we all do ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I skip anything that has to do with groups, so yea... :ROFLMAO:
I'm a man, so it's maybe a bit different, but I'm also a gay man. Stereotypically into girls nights and stuff like that.
But I hate it. Most of these nights are about screaming, being very dramatic about guys, clothes... shit-talking people. No thaaanks. I've really tried. But I just can't.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I can relate to this. What I dislike are the expectations surrounding being a woman, and it is uncomfortable to watch women striving to be feminine. The behavior of reinforcing gender stereotypes seems to compound when in groups (not that men don't also do this... men actually seem to do it more often, and it is equally intolerable).

I've also had the same frustration, though, where I've wanted to befriend a man because we share similar interests, etc. but need to maintain distance because any attempt at a friendship is misinterpreted by just about everyone.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's not just you. I would suggest it's a smart woman thing rather than specific to a type. The smarter you are, the more annoying typical female behavior tends to be. There's no worse group of misogynists on the planet than female engineers. They hate "women" with a passion, even though they are female themselves.

Speaking as one who doesn't like to hang out with groups of guys OR gals, I don't have a good solution for you. But, you know, seek and ye shall find.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What's even the problem here ? i was raised in a 100% female family and i hanged out with just women a few time ( I just can tolerate a few hours really but that is for any group really ) but men are the same ...

I hate gathering with any group really but for sure ... Actually trying to know individuals is far more important than trying to impose a sterotype 'cause we can't understand or empathize . that is just a limitiation not a virtue.

·
Registered
INTJ 6w5 sx/sp
178 Posts
Obstinate display of femininity and masculinity is irritating because it's a masquerade that you by social etiquette is supposed to pretend isn't. I have, however, never encountered those groups you've mentioned. Must be an American thing?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I mope about not having friends sometimes but holy fuck am I glad I'm not invited to weddings and baby showers. I don't even want to have my own wedding or have my own baby shower.

That's not to say I don't get along with other women. I do, I just hate group events where everyone feels compelled to put on a show. Wearing the right kind of clothes. Having the right hair and makeup. Moving and holding yourself the right way. Saying the right things with the right tone of voice. Making the right faces at the right times.

Ughhhhhhhhhh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts