Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say that my supposed stacking would have Ni and Ti in it. I don't know whether I use Fi or Fe. I would be more inclined to say Fe, but I'm not 100% sure anymore.
I was thinking about INFJ, but I don't know, it seems unlikely, I'm not a feeler, I'm a logical person. Still, I think I care more than I usually show, I try to keep a cool image, while still trying to be accomodating, but I may be a bit sentimentally idealist deep inside. I put an emphasis on values of independency, reliability and usefulness for others. Basicaly being a decent, useful person who isn't portraying himself as a victim. That's what I would like to be.
I wouldn't mind being in the spotlight, as long as I know I'm competent and confident enough, and more importantly as long as I know why and agree on it. I wouldn't want to be an impostor.
I've been typed INTP and even ENTP, as my I/E is not that much super high in I, despite being quite a recluse, I like to observe people, I can get bored when alone, I don't mind social contact, but I would rather be approached by people I don't realy know, or not know about, than by family or people I'm used to.

I relate to Ni, because I thinking I mainly perceive instead of judging, I try to interpret symbols and behavior to a "reason" and a "meaning" I guess, but I'm not sure what my dominant function could be. TI is definitely in the stacking, it has to, but I could also see Ni in it. Or maybe Ne ? I usually open a shitton of tabs on internet, I always linked this habit to Ne.

I'm not sure I completely fit this archetype of the warm android who in fact doesn't give a shit. Deep inside, I think I care.

I don't know, what do you think ? Would xNTPs relate to Ni ? I know it's useless to tr to type yourself because people can't fit into a framework like MBTI. Jung came up with functions but it wasn't so arbitrary.

edit : my keyboard is fucked, some letters may be missing

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I imagine most INxx types would relate to "Ni" descriptors. :)
Which is part of the problem with the "cognitive functions".

I mean, "Ni" is supposed to mean "Introverted Intuition".
What are INxx types?

Introverted intuitives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I usually open a shitton of tabs on internet, I always linked this habit to Ne.
I'd say that someone of any type could open a lot of tabs online. I don't, personally. I've always correlated Ne with what's going on inside of your head, more so than your behaviors, such as future-oriented hypotheticals ("what if this" and "what if that") and being able to come up with things outside of your immediate surroundings. I always use Ariel from The Little Mermaid as an example. She had never been on land with two feet but she conjures up these future-oriented scenarios of what being human could be like. Or Willy Wonka and all of his weird and fascinating candies created from his never-ending imagination.

Still, I think I care more than I usually show, I try to keep a cool image, while still trying to be accomodating, but I may be a bit sentimentally idealist deep inside. I put an emphasis on values of independency, reliability and usefulness for others. Basicaly being a decent, useful person who isn't portraying himself as a victim.
I wouldn't want to be an impostor.
Now, this sounds like Fi. IMO, the way that a person "shows" their Fi depends on the individual themselves. Introverted feelers don't all walk around being overly sentimental and sugary-sweet. That's a bit of a stereotype, I'd say. Some of us do, but some do not. The way that I relate to Fi is my authenticity, honesty and strong moral compass. I tend to have an aloof or neutral exterior but I am much kinder underneath. I also tend to mean what I say and don't follow what the group wants for the sake of it.

Perhaps you should do more introspecting and reading about the functions. Also, I take test results with a grain of salt and as guidance. You decide your type, in the end.

Also, take a closer look at xSFP and xNTJ, as these types use Fi and Ni. Or, perhaps, xSTP and xNFJ for Ti and Ni, but I do think that you might be an Fi user.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would highly recommend not reading about the functions (though I know you already have) and instead relying on dichotomy
Why not both?

I prefer to start with dichotomy tests before continuing to learn about the functions. Even questions such as "Most of the time, when working on something, do you like (...)" I would think that a person of any type could prefer either option, for all sorts of unrelated reasons. I find that there are so many little loopholes in these sorts of tests that may not be related to type and could mislead someone.

But, again, it's not a bad place to start.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Function stacks are stupid, you can be xNTP with strong Ni. Why the fuck would most xNTPs have a function like Ni 5th or 6th? Like no, fucking no lol

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I relate to Ni, because I thinking I mainly perceive instead of judging, I try to interpret symbols and behavior to a "reason" and a "meaning" I guess, but I'm not sure what my dominant function could be. TI is definitely in the stacking, it has to, but I could also see Ni in it. Or maybe Ne ? I usually open a shitton of tabs on internet, I always linked this habit to Ne.
Well first off, which version of Ni/Ne/Ti are you referring to? Jung's version or the ones you find on internet websites or others?

You suggest Jung with the mention of symbolism but then I find the bold very bizarre and stereotypey (I.E. not Jungian at all).

Function stacks are stupid, you can be xNTP with strong Ni. Why the fuck would most xNTPs have a function like Ni 5th or 6th? Like no, fucking no lol
Beebe's model is the only one with more than 4 functions that I know of. Most others had the common sense to know why there are only 4 functions in a stack and not 8.

Reactions: my melody

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
What you have described as Ni sounds like intuition. Interpreting symbols/behaviour to a reason/meaning could be looking at possibilities. Ne does cross contextualize and try to find the possible meaning of what someone has or hasn't said. Ni tends to observe inner symbols that comes to ones minds eye.

Note, trying to understand the meaning of something is not exclusively intuition. Defining something as meaningful (such as important) is a feeling judgment, defining the meaning of something (such as applying a definition) would be a thinking judgment.

From Linda Berens:
"Ne – extraverted iNtuiting

Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts.*Exploring the emerging patterns.

Ni – introverted iNtuiting

Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. *Transforming with a metaperspective."

Ne is more about the possibly combination of external objects, how each configuration changes the dynamic and the patterns formed. Ne doesn't take things as they are here and now, it reads into/expands on to 'what could be'. Ne is concerned with all the possible ways the moment has/could change.

Ni has an internal focus. Its focus is on internal objects. Imagineva chair, what you are imagining is an inner object (this is simplistic). Ni pays attention to these inner objects looking for where its come from/going, the possibility. This can come with a lightbulb moment where it changes how the individual sees the world (glass galf full, have empty or full with half water half air for a badic example). Often these inner objects are symbolic and can come with a predictive sense of what is to happen.

Note, Ti deals with inner objects. These are more concepts which a logically built and used to define/catagorise objects. Ti likes to find where the line is for when an object becomes something else. Note this idea of the object is removed from reality. For example you can point to an object and say thats an elephant. Ti takes this form and distorts it. If the elephant were pink, with thre legs and no trunk, is it still an elephant?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well first off, which version of Ni/Ne/Ti are you referring to? Jung's version or the ones you find on internet websites or others?

Beebe's model is the only one with more than 4 functions that I know of. Most others had the common sense to know why there are only 4 functions in a stack and not 8.
Hmm?

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
EVERYONE relates to Ni, because it's the most glorified function but moreso because it's also the most ambiguous so it's easy to interpret it as you wish.

The way I see it, what it boils down to is interpreting data and making connections between things free from sensory factors. There is nothing mystic or prescient about it. Just like Si can be very symbolic and very deep but it's always pinned down as being conservative, safe and boring, so all these cool elements are completely lost in the definition. This is why these over-encompassing definitions of functions really hurt people's understanding of them and confuses the hell out of everyone.

It's like...

Si is boring, Te is business, Fe is social, Ni is mystic, Se is athletic, Fi is emo, Ne is imaginative and Ti is intellectual.

When people stop at those shallow definitions, it's no wonder they start picking and choosing what they prefer like it's some sort of buffet. ''I think I'm Ne, but Ni is way too awesome so give me that as a main course. Now I know I should be Fe but it's kinda lame, no one can tell me what to do, so I'll pick Fi instead as a sidedish plz. Se and Si can rot in hell for all I care, ewww sports and routine. Chalk that up as my inferior.''

Not that I'm not attacking the OP, just saying that is a very recurring problem.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Also yes, to back what other people have been saying. If you are indeed a strong intuitive, it's only normal sometimes to relate to both Ni and Ne. Especially for intuition since it's abstract. Some strong Ts for instance, relate to both Te and Ti saying they are always rational, analytical and speak in no-non sense terms. What you have to ask yourself is whether your S, N, T or F is heavily dependent on outside data or inwardly personal. For instance, I know I'm a very rational person, but I feel like it's only when backed up with concrete facts. Otherwise I'd look like a dumbass. A Ti wouldn't have this problem. They know they are rational inwardly even when everything around them isn't. It'd flipped the other around for my feelings, I know how I feel at all times at my core, completely independent on the atmosphere around me. The only feelings that can be aroused from my environment is anxiety and that's when I feel my Si/Te can't handle what's going on.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Getting into Socionics a little, INxPs have Ni as their demonstrative function; that is, it comes easily but its use is not valued. INTJs have demonstrative Ti, and I find that I fall back on Ti when I don't care enough to seriously think about a subject. It doesn't surprise me at all that an INTP should make use of Ni and identify with its usage.

With that said, the question to ask yourself would be if you would tend to prefer Ni or Ne for dealing with situations where you value the outcome or take the subject matter seriously.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would say that my supposed stacking would have Ni and Ti in it. I don't know whether I use Fi or Fe. I would be more inclined to say Fe, but I'm not 100% sure anymore.
I was thinking about INFJ, but I don't know, it seems unlikely, I'm not a feeler, I'm a logical person. Still, I think I care more than I usually show, I try to keep a cool image, while still trying to be accomodating, but I may be a bit sentimentally idealist deep inside. I put an emphasis on values of independency, reliability and usefulness for others. Basicaly being a decent, useful person who isn't portraying himself as a victim. That's what I would like to be.
I wouldn't mind being in the spotlight, as long as I know I'm competent and confident enough, and more importantly as long as I know why and agree on it. I wouldn't want to be an impostor.
I've been typed INTP and even ENTP, as my I/E is not that much super high in I, despite being quite a recluse, I like to observe people, I can get bored when alone, I don't mind social contact, but I would rather be approached by people I don't realy know, or not know about, than by family or people I'm used to.

I'm not sure I completely fit this archetype of the warm android who in fact doesn't give a shit. Deep inside, I think I care.

I don't know, what do you think ? Would xNTPs relate to Ni ? I know it's useless to tr to type yourself because people can't fit into a framework like MBTI. Jung came up with functions but it wasn't so arbitrary.

edit : my keyboard is fucked, some letters may be missing
To be fair I believe in functions but you can't psycho-analyze it with stuff like this "I usually open a shitton of tabs on internet, I always linked this habit to Ne." Even if it is Ne it's incredibly trivial and nonsensical to type like this. I see people say stuff like this all the time, it's no wonder they're confused.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I know the tabs thing isn't really relevant. But I used stereotypes, because stereotypes aren't stereotypes for nothing, you have to pick them carefully.I guess such detail is pointless.

I think I'm a perceiver before a judger, I need to analyze the subject before dissecting it. It's very difficult to explain my thinking process.
Are feelings my blindspot or is it the tangible ? I'd say both obviously.

I usually know how I feel but I don't always know why, I have to think a little about it, to at least perceive it. "I suddenly feel good, it's probably because of that ?" or "I feel like shit, it's probably because of that, that and that thing I had in my mind for years and so on..."

And with the tangible, I'm simply out of tune with it, there is nothing to say here. It feels more unnatural and forced. I'm not putting a conscious effort to dissect it.
@PiT

For humor, definitely Ne, that's the one I'm quite sure about.
When I want to go for something more serious, I try to pinpoint the one good outcome, but it depend on what I'm doing. If it's creative, Ne.

I also think I use Si to collect intel and inspiration. I look up "what works" and basically dissect it or tweak it for my own thing.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Are there actually people out there who don't know how they feel?
Do they just suddenly think.. "oh, shit, I'm angry? Oh THAT'S why I've been punching holes in the walls!! Silly me."

Reactions: Agniete

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They will eventually try to medicate it out of you. Don’t let them. I’m not going back to Arkham batman.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I imagine most INxx types would relate to "Ni" descriptors. :)
Which is part of the problem with the "cognitive functions".

I mean, "Ni" is supposed to mean "Introverted Intuition".
What are INxx types?

Introverted intuitives.
Keep going, one day you might convince people that cognitive functions are bad!

Do they just suddenly think.. "oh, shit, I'm angry? Oh THAT'S why I've been punching holes in the walls!! Silly me."
Entirely possible and not uncommon. It is one thing to know you are feeling something, but knowing what, why and how to deal with it is a completely different story.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just like there are people who are unable to form a sort of logical reasoning unless they have been crying for 2 hours. 2 faces of the same coin. I think it's important to think about how you feel and why you feel that in some cases, can help you notice behavior and sentimental patterns.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Jung 101. The inferior is the weakest/most suppressed function because it is the most opposed to the dominant. So having functions lower than the inferior would be nonsensical.

As for why there are only four functions in a stack - it's because there are only four functions in the first place. T, F, N and S. There's no reason to list Te in the stack of a Ti-dom because it is right there in their dominant.

Si is boring, Te is business, Fe is social, Ni is mystic, Se is athletic, Fi is emo, Ne is imaginative and Ti is intellectual.
Well yeah. Clearly Ne is boring too. It's not just Si. :p

Entirely possible and not uncommon. It is one thing to know you are feeling something, but knowing what, why and how to deal with it is a completely different story.
The majority of the time I don't have any awareness that I'm feeling anything. I have deduce it logically to know.

Yes I know the tabs thing isn't really relevant. But I used stereotypes, because stereotypes aren't stereotypes for nothing, you have to pick them carefully.I guess such detail is pointless.
Why do you want to oversimplify people like this? Stereotypes exist because of dehumanization, not because of anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Jung's description of his Introverted Intuitive type (which is dominant in Introverted Intuition) is I, N, and P. So it's not surprising that a lot of people who are I, N, and P naturally relate to it. You'd probably be an INT-2 (check the link in my signature).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts