Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a little long, but I thought it might be nice to post just because it is a story of using Myers-Briggs practically.

I had been getting depressed lately. I felt like I wasn't able to make or keep friends, even when I wanted to. It was like I could walk into a room full of people I know and still no one would even notice me to say hi. The worst part was, I wasn't even sure what I was doing wrong. Am I not talking enough? My clothes are typically unremarkable, do I need to adjust how I dress? I have difficulty even maintaining a conversation, especially with other females. What is the problem there? Maybe I just need to dress more trendy and then I won't be invisible. But my sense of style is so poor that I don't know how I can ever do that.... My INFJ friend, on the other hand, had the same social circles as I did, but had none of these difficulties. She had a lot of friends and connections, and was able to make new ones with relative ease, despite being just as introverted as myself. What was my problem?

Then I came here and read about Ti-Ni loops and how to get out of them: the usual/most effective way for ISTPs being to stimulate Se. I wasn't sure how to manage that, as I already spent a good deal of time engaged in physical activity of one kind or another. But then I realized that my problems came specifically from under use of Fe, not Se. I socialized maybe once a week. Even at work, I was rarely able to talk to anyone. So I went through my church and signed up to lead one of their weekly community groups alongside another woman who I didn't even know prior to this. Within the first week of managing the group, my Ti-Ni loop cleared up, along with all the problems and anxiety described above.

Anyone else want to share success stories of using Myers-Briggs?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's awesome. Typ theory can really help with this sort of thing. It is where it shines.

I think the whole use of Se thing can apply for every personality type, but more so for types that have it for a dominant function or auxiliary.

Thinking too much about anything will depress. The cure for over thinking or making up stories(Ti-Ni loop, or simply what we as humans tend to do when anxious) is to act. It can take courage, it all depends on what it is. Basically get out of the neocortex and into the limbic part of the brain.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Congrats on this. I need to look into a few loopy issues I have myself :p

I really liked the "This might be a little long" disclaimer, yet you kept it short. I <3 ISTPs' brevity.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Oooh, that Ti-Ni loop can bite you in the a$$ sometimes. I know that a lot of people discredit this as a theory because it's often linked to personality disorders ripped from the DSM (or validate hose disorders as being a part of MBTI rather than separate), but there is some merit to the theory in the long run (and it also explains why, for example, oddly, INFJs and ISTPs have similar patterns of behavior in some situations).

I mean, the obvious solution is to use one of your extraverted functions, with Se being the most handy choice, but sometimes when you're in it, it can be rough. I mean, I think with anything having to do with MBTI, that's what it's for: to recognize patterns of behavior within yourself to understand, and then hopefully deal with the stuff that isn't so healthy. And it looks like you're doing that pretty well.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discovering I was an ISTP and not an IxNx as I had thought for years has been one of the most important things I've ever done to understand myself, my life, and my relationships. I used to think that I didn't have a personality, that the personality fairy passed me by when I was born, and there was something wrong with me for the way I tended to be and do things so differently than my family (all SJs) and everyone else in my life, my particular academic struggles, my particular ADD-like tendencies, etc., and especially everything related to inferior Fe. Now that I know Ti-Se-Ni-Fe, it all makes perfect sense, I can give myself a break, and I can feel justified in trying to live my own life my own way instead of all the ways other people would expect me to be.

I work a lot on Fe. I'm getting better at it, if for no other reason than because I think objectively that Ti is no better than Fe and that in fact for things to go right it's important to make sure people feel good. So I use Ti-Se to force Fe, and then things work out better socially, and I like it when things work right. I might even really care a little bit about how other people feel.

·
Heretic
ESI 9w8 5w4 2w1
10,672 Posts
Yup the loop theory is genuine enough.
I myself are usually caught in the Fi-Ni loop.

The way I use Se is just to take a long walk, preferably a new place.
As the new sensory info will balance out the inadequate stale imbalanse that the internal view has generated.
It wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't an imbalance between inner and outer "facts".
I can also use Te as a way to achieve balance and this can be quicker.

I find it interesting how Fe would break the loop with a social situation.
I myself would have to distance myself from my overly invested personal view and adopt a stone cold impersonal,
"the facts is all that matters" view to restore balance.

To me what is happening is that Ji comes up with a judgment based on sparce info.
Ni runs away with what it means and Ji takes the result of this and makes new judgments...
The loop gets out of control since little external info is consulted.
The Ji-Ni loop just digs a deeper and deeper hole with more and more unrealistic conclutions.
Se can help a bit if you collect enough of it, but only "objective/collective" external judgments from Je have any real stopping power,
as it is the most neglected perspective and therefore is the reason for one having a lack of perspective in the first place.

Reactions: rabbitofkaz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loved reading this. MBTI has helped me out SO much; I've struggled with some personality disorders, anxiety, and major depression for a long time and learning about various personality types has helped me more than anything else has. It allowed me to understand more clearly how people work (including myself!), which has been invaluable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts