Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to share some things about either type, maybe help me out...?

·
Registered
501 Posts
This probably sounds terribly silly, and I have no idea how it works, but it has never failed me.

Imagine time as a river, flowing. Before you click the spoiler button underneath, note where you instinctively place the river in relation to yourself.

If you're having trouble with the question, you're probably an S. If you on the other hand see the river in front of you, horizontally, odds are that you are INFP. On the other hand, if the river goes through you, then I think INFJ is a safe bet.

Now for less new age ways of discerning the types, if you don't buy this, functions are the way to go, since they are where INFJ and INFP are revealed as actually being very different types. An INFJ has Extroverted Feeling (Fe), and Introverted Intuition (Ni). An INFP, on the other hand, has Extroverted Intuition (Ne) and Introverted Feeling (Fi). So an INFJ will typically, superficially (though on the inside as well probably), seem like a warm person to people who don't know them well, whereas INFPs will often rather come across as a bit wacky, or different. This is because whilst the INFJ interacts with the world primarily through shared feelings and so on; an INFP interacts with their intuition. In other words, they'll probably start throwing "what ifs" and funny things they've thought of at you, before anything else. If an INFJ shares an idea about the world with you, on the other hand, you must be very close to them. Same goes for INFPs and their sharing of their honest feelings. Now to give you an example of how Extroverted Intuitors (like INFPs) work, two person who have this function will often end up in something affectionately referred to as Ne-pong. Have you ever had a very long conversation with someone about something completely silly you both know is impossible, like how you should build a space elevator together? That's Ne-pong. My INFJ friend can of course return a serve too, but it's not something he enjoys, and I'm not able to keep it up very long with him. He breaks the play very soon, if I start.

Now as for the Feeling functions ... that's complicated. Actually Ne/Ni is a lot more complicated than what you just heard too, but ... Hmm. Let's put it like this: Both INFJ and INFP tend to love harmony, and that's what they wish for. It's just that an INFJ will tend to create this harmony, and hold on to it around themselves wherever they go. The INFP on the other hand is far more willing to create disharmony for some harmonious purpose. I don't know if you've read Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. But in the novel the main character Mrs Dalloway, who is an INFJ (in my opinion), has married a very safe, stable and rich but boring man. The novel is about her trying to arrange a party, and that's the life she lives, trying to make the people around her happy in such ways. Her childhood friend returns to London and pays her a visit. Like all the novel's characters, he's looking for harmony too, yet he carries around a pocket knife, and keeps falling in love with married women. I don't think he's an INFP, but it's a similar difference. It's almost as if having to make trouble to get there, just makes the cause more worthy. Anyway, he thinks Mrs Dalloway is awfully unhappy, having put away her ideals for safety, and she begins to doubt herself too after his visit. It's not until the end of the novel she remembers that this is the life she chose. (As I interpret the very enigmatic, lyrical, climatic scene when she learns of the sad fate of another character.) And that this is her way of living up to her ideals. This is of course my wildly radical interpretation, which among others Wikipedia disagrees to, but that's my attempt at giving some sort of sense of the difference between Fe and Fi ...

So I hope some of these differences help, and please ask if something doesn't make sense, and also please throw stuff at me if I'm being unfair to any function or type.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
omg @Alyosha
it totally worked for me, I pictured it immeadiately passing in front of me, the water heading to the right... crazy...

Also I loved your on the spot analysis of Mrs Dalloway.
Have you seen the Hours? It's a movie dramatization of the book, and it also flicks to Virgina Woolf's life, it basically cycles through three different "levels" of the same story. I found it amazing because it mimicks the realities when reading a book-- the actual story detailed in the book, the person who wrote it and the parts of their life it was drawn from, and the signifigance it takes to the reader and uses the ideas in the novel to articulate things present in their own life. We all bleed reality into our own fiction.
(that was MY impromptu analysis and unlike yours, totally pointless haha)

·
Registered
501 Posts
@adverseaffects

Haha! Yeah, the time river trick is completely magical.

And oh, thank you! I liked your on the spot analysis of The Hours too! I actually thought it was very pointfull. And I have seen it! The Hours. I think maybe the twist in the end is slightly silly, first fooling you into thinking Julianne Moore committed suicide, and then suddenly that business with her son, but ... Or, actually. I do really like the twist now that I really think about it. Since it kind of leads the stories to a specific point, without making the whole thing any less mysterious. And I love the movie, and I really like the whole thing with the three levels too. There's especially this scene when Virginia Woolf decides to have someone else die instead of Mrs Dalloway, intercut with Julianne Moore contemplating suicide in a hotel room and deciding not to at the same moment as Woolf has her epiphany, which I think is the meaning of life. The scene, I mean. Gives me goose bumps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, I'm pretty sure I'm INFP, but I imagined myself flowing IN the river, coursing forward to "wherever" along with it. This is probably because of the whole buddhist ideology that every person is a "stream" rather than an distinct entity, but now I'm curious as to what it means. What's your opinion? Sorry for derailing the thread (I test very low on Judging in all my tests, if that helps).

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Hey, I'm pretty sure I'm INFP, but I imagined myself flowing IN the river, coursing forward to "wherever" along with it. This is probably because of the whole buddhist ideology that every person is a "stream" rather than an distinct entity, but now I'm curious as to what it means. What's your opinion? Sorry for derailing the thread (I test very low on Judging in all my tests, if that helps).
When you were "in" the stream, was the stream horizontal and you were facing the front.. as though if there were a plane, a horizontal stream, and mountain directly behind the stream, you'd be looking at the mountains? Or were you "in" the stream, looking in the direction the stream is heading, heading with the flow of water? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Anyone willing to share some things about either type, maybe help me out...?
Your profile says INFJ, you figured it out then?

I've tested INFP mostly the last three months or so, and function-wise, I relate more to INFP than to INFJ. But this last week I've gotten INFJ on tests, amongst them this one: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

I pretty much get INFP and INFJ, one of them being slightly more prominent than the other. It's frustrating me. So I'm slowly reading up on INFJ's. I found this one a tough cookie to swallow but I think it makes sense regarding the functions: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-articles/59597-long-description.html

So far, I think I'm not an INFJ, but that's based mostly on a combination of lack of understanding/resonating with the INFJ functions and feeling less 'connected' to INFJ profile descriptions. There is a profile description that I actually sort of relate with: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-articles/13848-key-infjs.html

Anyone here who've seen me post think I'm more INFP than INFJ or the other way around?

Oh btw, the river does flow from left to right and it's about 100 yards in front of me. xD

·
Registered
79 Posts
When you were "in" the stream, was the stream horizontal and you were facing the front.. as though if there were a plane, a horizontal stream, and mountain directly behind the stream, you'd be looking at the mountains? Or were you "in" the stream, looking in the direction the stream is heading, heading with the flow of water? Just curious.
I was in it, facing the direction the stream is heading, going with the flow.

·
Registered
INFJ 9w1
2,475 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has linked this site. INFJ or INFP? a closer look

It's a lot to read, but there are a lot of helpful sections. I especially like the sections on communication style and tertiary function use. I had convinced myself that I was an INFJ and after reading this site and looking at INFJ videos on youtube, I realized how different we act. I hope this will be helpful to you.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
@eyenexepee
ignore basic mbti tests and go by your understanding of your cognition. I can test as intj, it means nothing xD

I read orangeappled's description of infp cognition, and I KNEW i was an infp, because it described me in stress, when healthy, ect., ect.... so I suggest you read that. There is correlational similarities so you'll have to look at the system as a whole and what happens when you stress it to figure it out.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I took the very rude liberty of reading some of your previos posts, and as you've seemed to think yourself in the past, you're not a completely obvious INFP. When that's said no one is, and this is just a silly new age trick I honestly have no idea how works. So if you identify more with INFP than any of the other types, then don't let this convince you otherwise. Actually I feel sort of very bad about just the idea of someone doubting their established type simply because of something as silly as this ... and look at this, so yeah, I'm sorry, and please nevermind the time river thing completely, unless you really want to take it seriously, that is. As far as I can imagine though, there could be three explanations to your result, with the first one being the most probable, and the others being randomly ordered: 1) The silly trick is a silly trick which just for some mysterious & peculiar reason happens to most of the time at least seem to be correct, but not always. 2) You're an INFP into buddhism, and therefore have a preconceived, influenced understanding of time rivers that others INFP do not have, which leads you to imagine it differently than the rest of us more neutrally do. 3) You're an S, and you consequently needed to relate the time river to a concrete time river you already knew before from reading about buddhism, to be able to consider a physical relation to it.

@eyenexepee

Since I was already at it, I mean potentially rudely reading people's old posts primarily for the purpose of typing them, I read some of your old posts, and this, combined with the general impression that I have of you from before, has me think you're an INFP. Although I could just be saying this because a part of me still believes in magic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I took the very rude liberty of reading some of your previos posts, and as you've seemed to think yourself in the past, you're not a completely obvious INFP. When that's said no one is, and this is just a silly new age trick I honestly have no idea how works. So if you identify more with INFP than any of the other types, then don't let this convince you otherwise. Actually I feel sort of very bad about just the idea of someone doubting their established type simply because of something as silly as this ... and look at this, so yeah, I'm sorry, and please nevermind the time river thing completely, unless you really want to take it seriously, that is. As far as I can imagine though, there could be three explanations to your result, with the first one being the most probable, and the others being randomly ordered: 1) The silly trick is a silly trick which just for some mysterious & peculiar reason happens to most of the time at least seem to be correct, but not always. 2) You're an INFP into buddhism, and therefore have a preconceived, influenced understanding of time rivers that others INFP do not have, which leads you to imagine it differently than the rest of us more neutrally do. 3) You're an S, and you consequently needed to relate the time river to a concrete time river you already knew before from reading about buddhism, to be able to consider a physical relation to it.

@eyenexepee

Since I was already at it, I mean potentially rudely reading people's old posts primarily for the purpose of typing them, I read some of your old posts, and this, combined with the general impression that I have of you from before, has me think you're an INFP. Although I could just be saying this because a part of me still believes in magic.
It's not rude at all. What you did actually showed a great deal of consideration - you wanted to make the most educated and helpful statement possible. Don't feel bad. It was an interesting trick and I was interested in why my response wasn't typical, but like you said I'm not the typical INFP (which has made typing myself a frustrating process).

That said, I think my response was based on all three of the reasons you mentioned, to some degree. I do have a high degree of sensing, and I think that's definitely a part of why I imagined it the way I did.

Thanks for your help, and please don't feel bad. You haven't done anything wrong.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has linked this site. INFJ or INFP? a closer look

It's a lot to read, but there are a lot of helpful sections. I especially like the sections on communication style and tertiary function use. I had convinced myself that I was an INFJ and after reading this site and looking at INFJ videos on youtube, I realized how different we act. I hope this will be helpful to you.
I will read up on it, even if our dearest @adversaffects says is BS. ;) Thanks :)

@eyenexepee
ignore basic mbti tests and go by your understanding of your cognition. I can test as intj, it means nothing xD

I read orangeappled's description of infp cognition, and I KNEW i was an infp, because it described me in stress, when healthy, ect., ect.... so I suggest you read that. There is correlational similarities so you'll have to look at the system as a whole and what happens when you stress it to figure it out.
Of course the thing with stereotype profiles is, they're quite stereotypical. But if you read several from different persons, you can at least get a taste for common 'factors', so to speak. Or that's how it works for me. And of course the thing with these tests is the question whether they're reliable. Then again, I take a few different ones, and I take them every now and then, also for 'tasting'. ^^

There are a few things in the INFJ profile descriptions that make me go "Dangit! Heck yeah!". I have to sift through it all again, but I think they were majorly important things to me. Also, INFJ explains my lack of S use (Si average, Se unused). xD

Though I think I have an idea of how cognition and the functions work, I do apply the same 'doubting' attitude here, since just like with tests and profiles, there are many authors and they have similar but different ways of explaining and perhaps comprehending the functions. OrangeAppled has her way of nailing the INFP down, so to speak, and I'm sure her knowledge of the functions is vaster than mine, but there is something to her writing... I'm not sure. But yes I do relate to her descriptions a lot.

You see what I'm saying? That's why I keep doing tests and keep on reading. I prefer a holistic yet critical approach. ^^

@eyenexepee

No, actually, I was wondering whom I could ask to go through my posts and tell me their impression... (since it seems quite a task to me ^^;) So thank you (but leave the magical fairies at home!) :D

Reactions: Alyosha

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
@eyenexepee

So... holding out to make a decision until you have gathered sufficient information??

(also known as definition of a P) ;D

so yes of course I getcha!!!

INORITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*smashes frustrated face into keyboard*
*but not really*

I mean, once I had decided I was definitely not INTP, I decided to stick with INFP, but there's always been something nagging at me. :(

(And yes I see how you're teasing me! I'll get you next time, Gadget, I swear!)

Reactions: perfectcircle
1 - 20 of 45 Posts