Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
But I think what you are referring to are type descriptions not actual types. Maybe someone might find something to identify with in a type description, but it would be hard to say that an ESFP and INTP have a whole lot in common based on how they think because they don't share any functions. INTP has no real conception of Se, ESFP has no real conception of Fe and so on. So it would be hard to say there is a hybridization going on there. On top of that ESFP is driven by Se (and Ni) where INTP is driven by Ti (and Fe) so while they might find some nugget of a description somewhere that they agree with, this makes the description more suspect than anything else.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What do you think?
Yes.

Although our personalities tend to be a certain way, our character can change a lot more. For example, when I was a kid I was bullied sometimes for my dialect (my family moved to a different part of the country when I was six), which made me insecure for many years. Now I am quite confident and I've met people who've told me they can't believe how much I've changed. However, I am still the same person as before and I have the same personality.

So, a person can identify with the traits of a lot of personalities and therefore one could say that we are all a mixture of everything. On the other hand, the way we perceive and process information (which is basically what MBTI is) doesn't change much.

Reactions: natalietan8

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I'm going to be uber brutally honest here, because this thread is totally captain obvious and bound to perpetuate needless misunderstandings: Of course we all have characteristics of other types within our own - everyone has all of the functions (4 conscious and 4 unconscious), so technically, we are all a mixture of every type (if not, people of all different types would probably be completely incapable of understanding each other and interacting with each other as humans) - however, for each individual type to exist, there must be psychological preferences for the functions that define an individual's ego the most. Otherwise, a person would probably be existing on the psychotic spectrum in day to day life and would be unable to accomplish anything to satisfy ego desires, because they wouldn't know where to direct their priorities. Types are not personas - anyone can have a persona that might resemble that associated with types other than their own - this doesn't mean that the person became another type - that just means that a person is adaptable and human with plenty of other traits of their own outside of typology, but it changes nothing about their type. That's what @LiquidLight is getting at. The type descriptions aren't reliable.

·
Registered
637 Posts
But I think what you are referring to are type descriptions not actual types. Maybe someone might find something to identify with in a type description, but it would be hard to say that an ESFP and INTP have a whole lot in common based on how they think because they don't share any functions. INTP has no real conception of Se, ESFP has no real conception of Fe and so on. So it would be hard to say there is a hybridization going on there. On top of that ESFP is driven by Se (and Ni) where INTP is driven by Ti (and Fe) so while they might find some nugget of a description somewhere that they agree with, this makes the description more suspect than anything else.
""Within each group we would expect to see a bell curve showing the distribution of extraversion within the extraverts group, and introversion within the introverts. If the MBTI approach is valid, we should expect to see two separate bell curves along the introversion/extraversion spectrum, making it valid for Myers & Briggs to decide there are two groups into which people fit. But data have shown that people do not clump into two separately identifiable curves; they clump into a single bell curve, with extreme introverts and extreme extraverts forming the long tails of the curve, and most people gathered somewhere in the middle. Jung himself said "There is no such thing as a pure extravert or a pure introvert. Such a man would be in the lunatic asylum." ""

The above is a quote from some mbti-critique. I have to agree with him. For example, I am an ESFP, but I think my N is very strong too. I would say I'm somewhere in the middle on a bell curve with S in one end and N in the other.

I'm a big fan of MBTI, but what I don't like about it is that it clumps people together in groups, so different from each other that they seem to be different spieces! :O I have friends who are intp and I get along most excellent with them. We seem to understand each other very well. So please don't use mbti as a reason to dismiss people or as an excuse for not understanding them. Most people can be understood if you just change your perspective abit.

I also think that, even though mbti can lead to self developement and a greater understandment för one self and for others, it can also become a self fullfilling prophecy. So be aware! Don't limit yourself to be just a "type". And don't do it to anyone else either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts