Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Living unhealthily for years in a Ne-Fe mode as an INTP was certainly destructive, but I realize that my unhealthy (i.e., living like an extrovert) period has given me a lot of material for me to retroactively analyze and reflect upon-- mostly those countless people I surrounded myself with and their patterns of being and interactions.

Upon discovering this whole personality thing, I was so amazed by how I could basically explain the biggest mysteries of my life, and as to any INTP I'd imagine, knowing was the beginning of freedom.

Anyway, learning about cognitive functions has enabled me to "type" almost everyone that I have met in my life and my friends are beginning to praise my ability to give relationship advice that works flawlessly.

I found this site (cognitivetype.com/visualreading/) that seems to be a work in progress, but it provided me with the basics for recognizing how each cognitive function (Ti, Fe, Ni, what have you) manifests in the person's body language and facial expressions. So far, I have found it to be pretty accurate and I enjoy watching Charlie Rose (or any talk show, really) even more now because I get to decode the guests' body language and figure out their type and all the accompanying traits. It's really fun, I have to say.

One problem I have is that I can't really "analyze" anyone when I'm directly engaged with that person... bummer. And I don't really know what to do with this new hobby... :ninja:

·
Registered
915 Posts
A lot of INTPs posses this, I think it has to do with protecting yourself by knowing your environment, also the curiosity just makes you want to understand everything and everyone...

I cant stop myself from collecting data about my friends and with my friends I like to know what is bothering them, what do they like, dislike, I try various experiments on them and I like it, it is definitely fun for me... I dont know what would I do with them if I havent been researching their behaviour in various situations and stuff... I like them, they are nice people, I can have intellectual conversations with them... Maybe that is the reason I am not good at finding friends, I simply dont find many people interesting and I am not really interested in any form of contact with them... I am not into everyday boring conversations about nothing... I dont know I am weird, quiet, but there is tons going on inside which is not visible to anyone... Not many people are willing to talk to a strange person....

I remember faces, I spot patterns, I compare with what do I know about the patterns and I use this in reading people... I can tell who is the bad guy in a tv serie short after his appearance (even if its a side role for a bit until he turns out to be main character because of his badassness), I can read other people´s motivations (well they are usually pretty shallow and the people just throw it at you so easily...) So far it has been working in most cases with really high accuracy... Well there is a problem, people change and if I zone anyone into indifference zone I dont pay much interest to the person anymore... It can be a big loss sometimes...

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Visual typing in some ways can be a little out there.

The way the videos will pick out an individual function ''movement'' for example, like an Si eye movement when you can't rely on a person to display these movements in order of their actual function preference.

So, ENTP Bill Maher has been typed as ISTJ in one video because of his Si eye movements...even though it's an inferior function.

l generally can and do also read people in retrospect, though. More based on my abstract recollection of their behavior and patterns over time.

Reactions: Negativity Bias

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dunno how accurate it is, but that is an interesting site. I don't see a TiNe vid though, is it because the NeTi video is similar enough or it is simply not up yet?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Wistfulness: here's TiNe-- cognitivetype[dot]com/visualreading/vtine.html

And yes, some of the "movements" they label are sort of iffy, but I can now definitely recognize the difference between the Fe and Fi smiles, the hypnotic sideways/downward gaze of Ni (Obama does this a lot), Ti detachment, Te articulation, among other things. Si and Se are a bit more elusive, IMO.

It's also really interesting that the J types will keep their wrists relatively stiff in their gesticulation (in order to emphasize/defend their judgment), whereas the P type's hands/wrists are more fluid.

I don't buy everything, but the patterns are too real to ignore.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts

And yes, some of the "movements" they label are sort of iffy, but I can now definitely recognize the difference between the Fe and Fi smiles, the hypnotic sideways/downward gaze of Ni (Obama does this a lot), Ti detachment, Te articulation, among other things. Si and Se are a bit more elusive, IMO.

It's also really interesting that the J types will keep their wrists relatively stiff in their gesticulation (in order to emphasize/defend their judgment), whereas the P type's hands/wrists are more fluid.

l have noticed some accurate INTJ physical quirks described that really made me WTF.

Like this ''lean in'' they do while listening or thinking deeply, where the neck gets kind of stiff and the head is very still. Was very true of my INTJ, before l got used to him l'd back away because l felt like he was too close to me.

Reactions: Enantiodromia

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
l have noticed some accurate INTJ physical quirks described that really made me WTF.

Like this ''lean in'' they do while listening or thinking deeply, where the neck gets kind of stiff and the head is very still. Was very true of my INTJ, before l got used to him l'd back away because l felt like he was too close to me.
I have an INTJ boyfriend as well and maybe because of this, I feel like INTJs are one of the easier ones to spot. Their death glare + Ni zone-out + exacting hands + Fi smile + tendency to bump into things are total giveaways.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I'm just replying so I can "bookmark" this thread to view the videos later. Don't mind me. ;)

·
Registered
971 Posts

Do you identify with the TiNe vid?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do you identify with the TiNe vid?
It's tricky because all of the sample INTPs are being interviewed. I know I can be really different when I'm alone doing my thing (detach mode) vs. having to engage with others. The puppeteer hands thing I do find myself doing a lot, and I can see some of my body language in the female INTPs in that video. For some reason, I identify a lot less with the guy (I think he and the girl that follows are the founders of that website).

But I think that you will be able to see some patterns more clearly if you start to browse through YouTube for a larger sample of INTPs. I'm sure gender matters, too. I personally identify with this one a lot: youtube.com/watch?v=Z9WTeKyY5AA

For guys, I don't know... start here? youtube.com/watch?v=M1EsIusQJQM (Bill Gates on Charlie Rose)

or

youtube.com/watch?v=VNJOtkqH_h4 (Johnny Depp)

To add to the complexity, INTPs are total chameleons; I sometimes don't even recognize myself.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's tricky because all of the sample INTPs are being interviewed. I know I can be really different when I'm alone doing my thing (detach mode) vs. having to engage with others. The puppeteer hands thing I do find myself doing a lot, and I can see some of my body language in the female INTPs in that video. For some reason, I identify a lot less with the guy (I think he and the girl that follows are the founders of that website).

But I think that you will be able to see some patterns more clearly if you start to browse through YouTube for a larger sample of INTPs. I'm sure gender matters, too. I personally identify with this one a lot: youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Z9WTeKyY5AA

For guys, I don't know... start here? youtube[dot]com/watch?v=M1EsIusQJQM (Bill Gates on Charlie Rose)

or

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=VNJOtkqH_h4 (Johnny Depp)

To add to the complexity, INTPs are total chameleons; I sometimes don't even recognize myself.
You think Depp and Gates are INTP? What makes you think this?

I agree we are difficult to grasp, we might seem ENTPish or INFPish at times I find.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You think Depp and Gates are INTP? What makes you think this?

I agree we are difficult to grasp, we might seem ENTPish or INFPish at times I find.
For me anyway, identifying INTPs requires a process of elimination.

e.g., Johnny Depp:
-when his eyes disengage to retrieve his thought, he gazes downward, but it's different from the Ni zone-out, which appears to look through objects (evidence of Ti)
-Fi can be eliminated because his cheeks/mouth stay extremely flat and his emotions don't "leak" as much as Fi-doms
-Can rule out ENTP (or any other E type) because you can sense that his energy is directed inward and he doesn't exhibit that "naive" eyes of Ne as often as Ti withdrawal.
-When he smiles, it is directed outward toward the ears (Fe)
-When he searches his memory (Si), he scowls in a way that's different from Te scowl.

Ti-doms generally have a flat affect, and when they smile using Fe, it generally only affects the mouth area. Whereas Fe-doms smile with the whole face, if you will.

EDIT: okay, upon reviewing many other interview clips of Depp, I think he might be INFP. Thought he was Ti-dom, but in other videos especially, his Fi asymmetric snarl comes up way too often. Oops. Sorry about the confusion >.< Now I am embarrassed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
For me anyway, identifying INTPs requires a process of elimination.

e.g., Johnny Depp:
-when his eyes disengage to retrieve his thought, he gazes downward, but it's different from the Ni zone-out, which appears to look through objects (evidence of Ti)
-Fi can be eliminated because his cheeks/mouth stay extremely flat and his emotions don't "leak" as much as Fi-doms
-Can rule out ENTP (or any other E type) because you can sense that his energy is directed inward and he doesn't exhibit that "naive" eyes of Ne as often as Ti withdrawal.
-When he smiles, it is directed outward toward the ears (Fe)
-When he searches his memory (Si), he scowls in a way that's different from Te scowl.

Ti-doms generally have a flat affect, and when they smile using Fe, it generally only affects the mouth area. Whereas Fe-doms smile with the whole face, if you will.

EDIT: okay, upon reviewing many other interview clips of Depp, I think he might be INFP. Thought he was Ti-dom, but in other videos especially, his Fi asymmetric snarl comes up way too often. Oops. Sorry about the confusion >.< Now I am embarrassed.
He is indeed commonly considered INFP. I guess you have to look at multiples interviews to get a good feel.

Gates is often considered ENTJ (sometimes INTJ). Although I do see INTP pop up sometimes, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I need a lot more practice!! But it is easier with people I know IRL in their most natural habitat.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Thank you for the link, I am finding it very interest. Strangely, I can see a little bit of myself in all of the videos, and that may be one problem with typing people in this way. I may be an isolated case, but somehow I doubt it, and you may find yourself mistyping people if you're only using this tool.

There is also the way people project when in public, as many tend to "put on a face", or act differently when around certain people. I know I am certainly this way, and you would likely find that a person is completely different than you suspected when alone or with family/close friends.

I am not condemning this method of typing in the least, just verbalizing some concerns I have with it. If you wish to gain a somewhat full understanding of your friends/relatives/coworkers I think having them take a cognitive test would produce the most accurate results.

Reactions: wabi sabi

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have walked up to a complete stranger and told him what was going on in his life, that he was in love with his best friend that didn't know it, that he has been conflicted about what has been going on with his family, and that he thinks he can't continue in his life but is afraid to end it. He told me to embrace it, called me a psychic and told me I could make money off of it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Watched the TiNe video... that was really similar to me. I'll have to get a second opinion. TY for sharing, sorry, I have no input at this time... you've distracted me for a week or two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts