Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted a thread in the general intellects forum about this confusion of mine. You can check it out if you like but for the moment I figured I'd post some tidbits about myself to gauge what you guys think.

I was extremely introverted as a child; however, these days people are surprised when I say I'm introverted, and while I LOVE my alone time to daydream, I'm always down to take off and go on some sort of harebrained adventure just for the fuck of it.

I'm not afraid to talk to large groups and I even do stand up comedy from time to time.

I have had one cage fight. I got my ass kicked but none the less I did it, and doing it again isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

I'm largely more concerned with changing the world and making the people I care about laugh than I am with understanding the world. Though I do love learning about the world, I often dream of rising to becoming a lovable and loving figure who awakens people to a new, better way of living, a mass philosophical realization of sorts.

In college I found it funny how easy people were to manipulate, well, manipulate might not be the right word, just how easy it was to convince people to act like me. I'll give in example. My first house in college we had 5 party animal guys living together, and we pretty much paid the rent with money we made throwing keggers. One night I invented a game called Donkey Kong. How Donkey Kong is played is that you run up our stairs while someone throws the empty beer kegs down at you. One night whilst playing Donkey Kong I was nursing a bloody nose, and a girl came up to me and asked, "Why are you destroying yourself like that??"

This girl was the type who hadn't drank yet in college and she had sober cabbed her drunk friends down to our place. I replied, "Well, we're pretty much walking worm food the way I see it. Our bodies are going to break down and die, it's an inevitability, and Donkey Kong is about embracing that inevitability rather than fighting it through unnecessary acts of self preservation. We're celebrating what we are and where we're headed."

Apparently that got through to her and after about three beers she was hammered and wanted to play Donkey Kong... she got hurt pretty bad. Eventually, and by that I mean later that night, Donkey Kong had turned into a rite of passage and people were lining up to get hurt by kegs falling down on them. Later on people would even bring in their visiting friends from other colleges to play Donkey Kong, it became like being baptized, and I just couldn't stop laughing at how fucking stupid it got so fast just because one night I felt like recreating a video game.

I've been in jail a few times as well and gotten out of way too much trouble.

I've never not gotten a job that I've interviewed for.

My only social fear is that my vision of the world will be rejected; otherwise, I'm invincible and see concerns over boyfriends and 'he said she said' mumbo jumbo a bunch of crap.

I've always kind of resented the INTP label and I'm a type 3 enneagram.

I'm very boisterous unless I think it wouldn't be strategically apt.

I don't have problems expressing myself and I can empathize with people a little, not too much though, especially if the reasons for being emotional seem gratuitous to me.

I could make best friends with any group of people and practically have. I banter with Lynyrd Skynyrd good ol' boys and outed homosexuals, and I thoroughly enjoy the company of both groups.

I don't know, what do you guys think? I'm thinking I could be a borderline person seeing as I'm 63% intro and 37% extro, maybe all the booze is what does puts me out there :confused:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Honestly, you sound more ENTP-ish, and I tend to point people who are on the border in the direction of extroversion.

Do you identify more with being Ne-dominant or Ti-dominant?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, you sound more ENTP-ish, and I tend to point people who are on the border in the direction of extroversion.

Do you identify more with being Ne-dominant or Ti-dominant?
That seems to be my inherent difficulty. Is daydreaming an effect of Ti or Ne? Or both for that matter? Usually my daydreaming revolves around recognition for my accomplishments, probably 60% of my daydreaming, and I always figured that for introversion, because quite literally one of my favorite things to do is just sit around watching nature alone lost in fantasy. The other other 40% of daydreaming is spent analyzing things and finding solutions to whatever problems I see with the world and implementing those plans and then when the plan has been implemented in my mind I fantasize about the results. I've definitely concocted a scheme or two in my day.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I've proposed a question to help --hopefully-- determine maybe which is dominant for me. So here's the question:

Am I readily aware, in a way I can fully describe in excruciating detail, of what I aim to accomplish in life?

The answer is no. I feel a pull towards something whenever I act. It's like I'm an archeologist sort of just discovering what comes next, brushing away bits of sand, and then I want to share what I've discovered in the sand with people and have them appreciate me for it. A lot of times I'll just do something and look for a reason to justify it later, but other times my plans are concrete; however, in the grand scheme, I'm uncertain of where I'll wind up. I just know it's gonna be awesome.

Does that sound ENTP?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Well, I'm generally uncertain of why I do things...I justify things after the fact all the time. I'm reckless, random, and wild. And I'm pretty sure I'm a Ti dom. I think that's just being a human being and having fun.:wink: And I daydream of being recognized for accomplishments constantly as well. But even so, that trait is quite common to ENTP's, and Pe's in general. So while it isn't proof of anything, it certainly doesn't hurt your case. Definitely isn't a sign of introversion or anything.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I resent some of the INTP stereotypes, as well. There aren't very many INTPs that are former Marine NCOs, and the INTP profiles don't really take that kind of thing into account. I would guess most people would type me as an NTJ when I'm working, I'm also practical and a very hard worker (when I'm at work). Or an ESFP when I've been drinking or under some other influence. You would have to get to know me, pretty well, to find out I'm an INTP.

I tend to point people who are on the border in the direction of extroversion.
Why is that?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ne is pretty associated with daydreaming. Ne is the idea function. It looks at how things could be, how one could change things...Its quite revolutionary.

As far as introversion goes, one thing you have to keep in mind that ENTP is one of the most introverted extrovert types. Us and ENFP's, we both need alone time like introverts. Its mostly because being Ne dominant in this world can really wear you out. You constantly have to deal with people shooting down your ideas, or not cooperating. It can be quite draining. Even more so for ENFP's because they focus their Ne on relationships and people rather than ideas/concepts.

Another thing that ENTP's may do is submerge themselves in an alternate reality. This is usually rooted in fantasy and games, RPG's etc. Just another way to escape reality when the world is being super adverse to Ne. I have an ENTP friend who goes into RPG's. My alternate reality tend to be fantasy books, or yes, daydreams.

It does sound like you are an ENTP though. Keep reading up on it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I made the switch official. And I retested myself again as well which I haven't done in about 6 months. I don't know if my new job that has me working with people all the time has made me feel more extroverted, but I've tested a weak E for the first time ever.

I also get the impression that a lot of ENTPs wind up introverted out of being misunderstood. I remember growing up I often times just flat out failed to engage with other children and just wound up on my own. But the weird thing was I was always leading these weird revolutions as well. In fifth grade I actually got our music class to play real music (radio music, if it was clean lyrically) in them after I had practically the entire grade sign a petition saying they thought the music they made us learn about was lame. I don't know if you guys remember what those songs were like, but man... I remember I also got in a bunch of trouble for convincing the entire class to sit at different desks and pretend to be different people on the day we had a sub. I got in all kinds of trouble actually. I also loved our creative expressions class, basically an acting class, probably my favorite class ever.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, I made the switch official. And I retested myself again as well which I haven't done in about 6 months. I don't know if my new job that has me working with people all the time has made me feel more extroverted, but I've tested a weak E for the first time ever.

I also get the impression that a lot of ENTPs wind up introverted out of being misunderstood. I remember growing up I often times just flat out failed to engage with other children and just wound up on my own. But the weird thing was I was always leading these weird revolutions as well. In fifth grade I actually got our music class to play real music (radio music, if it was clean lyrically) in them after I had practically the entire grade sign a petition saying they thought the music they made us learn about was lame. I don't know if you guys remember what those songs were like, but man... I remember I also got in a bunch of trouble for convincing the entire class to sit at different desks and pretend to be different people on the day we had a sub. I got in all kinds of trouble actually. I also loved our creative expressions class, basically an acting class, probably my favorite class ever.
Haha yeah, I've done the petition thing before in highschool XD And one time, I went to a private school, the teachers were really annoying me with the dress code for some reason. Don't remember why, this was 6th grade or so. But I rolled up my stretch capris as high as I could, well above the "to the fingers" limit to make a point and nearly got detention for it.

I do agree with you about ENTP's being introverted out of being misunderstood. I think thats pretty much exactly what it is. Being misunderstood and shut down. If I'm in an environment with unreasonable people who can't appreciate what I come up with, even if its just being silly, then I keep my mouth shut. I've had people comment that its like I turn into a totally different person if they've only seen me around my dad or around certain people that I go into introvert mode around.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Why is that?
As one who would seem to be on the border, myself, I've found that Ne is a relatively introverted function. As such, extroverted users tend to appear on the line of E/I and introverted users tend to be quite introverted. I understand that this isn't always true, but 90% of the time I will insist pretty heavily that the NP who questions his/her orientation is an extrovert because of this notion. Trust me -- if I, cave-dwelling misanthropist though I may be, am an extrovert (and I certainly am), then many NPs who believe themselves to be introverted are probably extroverted, too.

Anyway, dominant Ne can sometimes be hard to see in oneself at first simply because it becomes unconscious in its functioning, so Ne-doms may not be able to tell if it's their strongest function or not.

Plus, most people are extroverts, although I do understand that the statistics will be different among internet users -- especially those interested in MBTI.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As such, extroverted users tend to appear on the line of E/I and introverted users tend to be quite introverted.
Have you ever heard of high extroverts talk about how they admire introverts because introverts seem to have their own battery? One ENFP I remember, he said that, because introverts can go charge up on their own, while he can't go without being around other people. He acted like introversion was more of a special ability. It seemed weird to me, since I had always viewed extroverts as more about their ability to deal with other people for long periods of time, but then finding out they actually need to be around them because that's what recharges them. Any time someone needs to go off and recharge, then that is introversion, even if they score as an E. Even if they gain some energy from being around people, if they do the majority of recharging by themself, then that should mean they're an introvert.

I really wonder if the ENPs are the most introverted of extroverts idea is an internet forum phenomenon. ENPs are the most likely extroverts to be interested in typology forums, because NPs like to discuss their theories more then any other group. NJs and SJs prefer to read in order to learn, and NFJs are the only group that comes close to NPs as far as how interested they are in typology. That means you're going to have a lot of ENPs on the forums that are borderline, or that can't make their minds up. And based on a couple of the ENTPs I've known in RL, no one, including themselves, would ever mistake them for an introvert. (I also remember some other ENTP on this forum saying he didn't understand the idea). This makes me think that the majority of ENTPs would dispute the "most introverted of extroverts" idea, but they're not on the forums to say anything about it.

Plus, most people are extroverts, although I do understand that the statistics will be different among internet users -- especially those interested in MBTI.
This is the same thing as the chance of getting tails after flipping a coin 10 times and getting heads for all of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts