Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've learned about Jung's cognitive functions and all that has come from it, I find that the openness of interpretations has left me utterly confused in the end. My knowledge of them seems reasonably voluminous at this point, and I feel confident in being able to express these interpretations. Yet on a personal level, I can now see myself as part of every functional preference in one way or another, leading to a complete inability to confidently assess my own self.

So, I ask: Because you all clearly have nothing better to do than pay attention to my posts, if you've seen me around, do you get any particular vibe of what my type might be? If not, I've included below the common "What's my type?" form that I filled out almost a year ago when I had very basic and somewhat flawed knowledge of cognitive functions. For that reason I think it may be somewhat more reliable than if I answered now, since my thoughts would be colored by what I know now about functions. I mean, some of these answers are probably outdated, but looking at it now it seems to still be true. I've only cleaned up a couple things.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
(see above)
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Fun, because that is the one thing that feels truly worthwhile. Then slightly below that, knowledge, wisdom, love, understanding, friendship. Everything else seems meaningless to me, such as success, ambition, power.
3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Any of the times I've had a serious conversation with a friend about misgivings they had (usually about themselves) and were able to assuage or reverse them as far as I could tell.
Any time I've been a part of a group and gone above and beyond the rest to achieve the desired result. Usually when the others had already lost resolve or were apathetic until my intervention.
4) What makes you feel inferior?
I never feel inferior, just different. Unless there was something to be quantified, and the value associated with me was clearly lower, but that only speaks of inferiority in the basest sense.
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I try not to hurt anyone, I guess. I don't really weigh pros and cons in quantity. I will usually do what causes me the least stress or trouble unless it has a serious deficiency in its primary purpose.
6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I don't mind having full control but I often find it easier and more fluid to do the best possible job within some general guidelines (i.e. there should be room for improvisation but I'm not sure a total sandbox would be ideal).
7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I went to a local beach with a friend of mine in the early evening where it was gray (borderline raining). We brought a cooler and snacks and just sort of sat there alone, talking about wondrous things like adventure, philosophy, and arcane subjects like mythology. My memory of this is more "fun" than most other times.
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I'll look it up on my own and once I have the framework down, probably go through a bit of trial and error in tangible practice, sometimes applying mnemonics and "working out" muscle memory (so to speak) to embed it in my brain if I truly want to retain the information.
9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
One of those guys who would like to be a bit cleaner but really thinks he is one of those people that others just can't understand how the "mess" works for him.
10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I feel like I have a keen sense of what seems reputable right off, but will only fully trust something once I've gone through my own line of reasoning. I don't really adhere to one or the other here solely.
11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I don't put much stress on belonging, so I suppose the latter. Not a great or full answer, but I am focused a bit more on self, just not by a landslide.
12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Do I actually think the words in my brain, "I better make sure this statement is sound"? I never understood this concept. I always felt like, "Of course I think before I speak, how else would I have formed the idea?" Bad answer, I know.
I like one-on-one better, no contest.
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I pretty much just wing it, unless there is truly great risk. Actions in general do not speak any louder or softer than words.
14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Go with my friends. Even if I can't record the show for some reason, which seems like a needed stipulation for this question.
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
People can tell when I'm off, but I don't think I cause any real problems with my behavior in these moments. Basically a bit more acid or testiness in my words without being explicitly vulgar in some way.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
People who slaves to their own emotions, unwavering beliefs, or preconceptions. Stubborn people really; anyone who isn't at least open to have what they know or think be challenged.
17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Any common interest, especially a rare one. Nothing in particular.
18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
My "long-term goals", whatever that means. My social or economic standings and what influence they have.
19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I have no solid idea, to be honest. They don't tell me, except one guy who told my dad that I was the greatest guy on the planet (and he really meant it... trust me, you'd know if you met him). The most I can gather is that they see me as a peer, someone who they can share ideas with and not have it get bent out of shape. Some obviously feel they can tell me personal things, others either don't or just have no need to. I'm willing to bet my friends would be surprised if they somehow knew that I am a bit happier, less cynical, and a bit more caring than I put on, though I don't think they see those things as deficiencies as it is. I also believe they think I'm intelligent but not quite sure in what way.
20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Chatting with friends about random crap, video games (with or without friends), listening to music, ideally a hockey game to watch thrown in there. Maybe even a few hours of work (not too many).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I try not to hurt anyone
Hm, could this be indicative of a high Fe preference?

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I went to a local beach with a friend of mine in the early evening where it was gray (borderline raining). We brought a cooler and snacks and just sort of sat there alone, talking about wondrous things like adventure, philosophy, and arcane subjects like mythology. My memory of this is more "fun" than most other times.
N dom or aux? More likely dom. The whole "having fun" talking about philosophy bit. I highly doubt someone with a lower N function would find philosophy their idea of the most fun they ever had. Then again, one of my philosophy TAs is an ISTJ, interestingly enough, so it's hard to know.

0) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I feel like I have a keen sense of what seems reputable right off, but will only fully trust something once I've gone through my own line of reasoning. I don't really adhere to one or the other here solely.
Hm, this might be an Ni dom gut feeling?

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Go with my friends. Even if I can't record the show for some reason, which seems like a needed stipulation for this question.
Why? This seems more extroverted, although it depends on why.

Honestly, you didn't really reveal much along the lines of F/T, I/E preferences at all. It might just help to delve into the basics to see what you think about yourself being an F or T, etc. I'm suspecting that you're a high N type, probably an Ni type (so, some NTJ or NFJ), since you seem to be more independent with your ideas and conceptual understanding of things - that seems largely introverted and subjective, the whole needing your own independent framework stuff, which would fit the bill perfectly for Ni (I can totally relate as an Ni dom). Ni types tend to have the most independent visions and conceptualizations of things. Ne types tend to moreso need others to bounce their ideas off of to refine them, etc. I definitely didn't get that from you.

·
Banned
600 Posts
@JungyesMBTIno Interesting, I was getting the impression of a Ji (very likely Fi)-dom. His answer to question 15 also made me consider inferior Te.

That said, I trust your analysis more than the anything-but-impartial impression I'm getting. I wouldn't be surprised if he concluded he is an IXFP. If he is an ISFP, would it make sense to appear as a Ni-dom if he is developing his tertiary function nowadays?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Overflow

Hm, that's possible, as in I was thinking that for him, not being tactful comes as something abnormal to him, so at least a high F preference might make sense. But I think I'll need more information to come up with anything with confidence. Are you thinking of this for inferior Te?

8) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
My "long-term goals", whatever that means. My social or economic standings and what influence they have.
Once again, though, I'd like more information from him about why behind his answers to get better insight into his personality type.

Reactions: Loveternity

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why? This seems more extroverted, although it depends on why.
Whenever a friend or group of friends ask me if I want to go out, I feel compelled to say yes because:
1. I have this weird fear always that if I say "no" I'm going to give off the impression that I don't want to hang out with them and that they'll stop calling. Because it'd be weird to say something like "I'd rather stay home and play video games this particular time but you should keep calling me anyway in the future, OK?"
2. I do not want to miss out on the unique experience of hanging out that one particular time which will never come again.

Feel free to ask any more particular "whys" and I will elucidate as best I can. I realize now I didn't do that very well when I wrote it.

@Overflow
I have this odd feeling that if I had been into Jung's theory before age 20 or so (3 years ago now) I may not have related to Ni as strongly or marked high options on Ni questions in shoddy online quizzes. Not truly sure about this, though. There was a weird moment at that point in my life where I "awoke" (if this sounds like it has any merit I can elaborate).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Sure thing. Once again, I still have no insight into whether or not you are a T over F, F over T, I over E, or E over I. Do you have any opinion on these?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
1. I have this weird fear always that if I say "no" I'm going to give off the impression that I don't want to hang out with them and that they'll stop calling.
This is hardly a weird fear, btw. If you don't know what they'd think of this, that's pretty normal. I don't think introversion/extroversion has anything to do with this. I can relate.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure thing. Once again, I still have no insight into whether or not you are a T over F, F over T, I over E, or E over I. Do you have any opinion on these?
By the long shadow of Myers-Briggs, I'm not social. I don't feel like I'm energized by social interaction. I'm usually just kind of "baking" something random rather than being engaged. Except I don't have a coherent thought process; once it's been jarred it's hard to even figure out what the hell I was even spacing out about. So when people talk about "living in their own world(s)", it's hard for me to truly identify with this. On the other hand, I don't feel like I have a firm grasp on any subjective viewpoint. I can't even really articulate what it is I think about something unless I'm given the context, and then it just kind of comes out without me even having to mull it over (the contrast is quite dire). I'm not very well in touch with my own unique identity a lot of the time.

As for thinking and feeling, again I'm usually going to mark T answers on MBTI-type assessments. By the very nature of not having strong subjective viewpoints that I can call upon at any given time of their own volition, I feel like I am always an impartial observer to anything outside my own self, and not prescribing values to it. I have a desire to connect with others and consider their views like feelers are often portrayed, but it usually only comes out when it's imposed upon me, and I just get sucked into it. Detached analysis is something that comes naturally to me, but I don't feel like it is something that energizes me per se. If I'm making value judgements, it's either not at all or it's so deeply rooted in my psyche that I have no idea just how badly my views are colored.

·
Banned
293 Posts
I think possibly ENFP, from the little I know about accurate typing :)

Reactions: Enormous Hatred

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Enormous Hatred

Okay, under stress, what erupts in you (I'm not telling you what function each is yet, although none of the inferior functions mean that a person can't have abilities around them, but these areas are more of a pain for people, and occur as last-resort self-defenses in their full-blown forms, so think of what you do when you are most angry at yourself and how this affects your relationships with others (this is when a person becomes a caricature of their reverse type (e.g. INFJs turn into ESTP caricatures)) You can only answer one that does THE MOST:

A. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their logic or an inferiority complex around your ability to accomplish anything logically and be seen as competent

B. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their empirical/physical awareness or an inferiority complex around your ability to achieve tangible status or act spontaneously when confronted with new settings, etc.

C. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their social behavior or an inferiority complex around your ability to fit in or be socially appealing/a valuable person in society

D. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their ideas or an inferiority complex around your ability to be memorably creative, surprising, and see things with new eyes

E. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their analysis or an inferiority complex around your ability to act with and apply logical consistency

F. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their personal experiences or an inferiority complex around your ability to be realistic and make meaningful contributions from personal experience

G. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their personal ethics (think lack of what they see as self-respect or hypocrisy in others) or an inferiority complex around your ability to respect different personal ethics and your own (sort of under the "what's good for you isn't always good for others" line of thought)

H. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their concept of reality or an inferiority complex around your ability to be deep and unobvious

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A. Taking out your frustration with yourself on others by criticizing their logic or an inferiority complex around your ability to accomplish anything logically and be seen as competent
Trying hard not to trick myself here because I actually have read the book excepts about inferior blowouts that LiquidLight posted everywhere.

I believe this is the one that most resembles how I act under stress. It's tough for me to answer because I (honestly) flip my wig very rarely and it usually happens with one person in particular, so the sample size is low. A and E are similar; I believe they're both Thinking explosions, so that would make sense. Basically the last few times I've exploded at people I usually get frustrated because I can't get them to see what's right in front of their face, logically (i.e. they will be wasting an exorbitant amount of money on a product that is the same thing as a much cheaper alternative, then make some kind of argument like "Well, I just like the other one better, OK?" bad example I know but you probably know what I mean here). It's definitely a logic thing. If I'm blowing up at you I probably want you to step back and see why what you say makes no sense.

While choosing one of the options I tried to discount some particular instances of stress-related behavior that probably would not be good examples of anything at all (physical responses or things that would be considered just plain pedantic).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Okay, well, you didn't answer whether or not you have an inferiority complex around logic, which is actually much more important to know than how you react under stress.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, er, there was an "or" in there, so I figured I didn't have to fit into both parts of the statement necessarily...

If there is one thing I feel consciously inferior about it is my ability to keep up in a social setting or be able to read people, keep a rapport going, etc. I'm not sure if it really manifests as a complex specifically in the strict sense of the word, but I know it's my weakness if I do have one. I feel my logic is sound and I am extremely confident in it. So, C, mostly the part about fitting in, not so much the other parts of that statement.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Enormous Hatred

So, inferior Fe? Or, this might just be a reflection of you being an introvert...Thing about the inferior function is that it is not fully conscious - aspects of it that you find very out-of-character for yourself will come out unconsciously under stress. So, I'm not really thinking that Fe is your inferior function, if you are consciously concerned with this...I'm beginning to think that you might be an INFJ at this point, since you seem to care about the evaluations of others? Am I right? I'm definitely sure that you're not an inferior Te type, which was the answer you picked, oddly enough, even though you are comfortable with logic, which would fit tert. Ti at least.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you seem to care about the evaluations of others? Am I right?
I think so. Unless I'm with my usual crew (once in a while even then) I'm always running things through my head like "Nice interaction. I think they enjoyed it. I'll have to speak to them again later or something and see if they still enjoy it." or "Did they perceive my off-color comment as infringing upon them in some way? Did I tarnish this relationship in some way that is not explicitly apparent?" so it's like, my instinct is to say "No, I'm terrible at this, so it's not the ruling part of my personality", but I guess since cognitive functions aren't about what you suck or don't suck at, so that's not a good way to look at it after all.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Oh, wow, you totally revealed that you have a high Fe preference (being an INTJ, I know for sure that is not how INTJs think at all)! What do you think about INFJ? I'm seeing it, anyhow.

but I guess since cognitive functions aren't about what you suck or don't suck at, so that's not a good way to look at it after all.
Correct!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you think about INFJ? I'm seeing it, anyhow.
It fits. A small part of me knew it fit anyway; I've identified as both Ni types before. I mean, it's difficult to go on a board with the mindset of "Hey, this seems right. I'll test this out by associating with people of the same type" and then see how most people explain their INFJ type as "I am dominant mysticism with auxiliary people-liking with dashes of being super deep and organized". And you're left with that odd feeling that one of these things is not like the other, but you don't want to presume that, against all odds, everyone else is wrong but you.

Having a brain whose ruling process seems entirely unquantifiable and untranslatable is maddening to me. Kind of reduces lag time in practice, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts