Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reached this conclusion based on the following unequivocal, objective analysis:

- The past four men I have found myself strongly attracted to have been INTPs
- One of my best friends (an INFP) is successfully married to an INTP
- Another of my best friends (an INFJ) is successfully dating an INTP
- My dad is an INTP. Not that I want to date my own father, but if women are raised by strong father figures, they tend to prefer those types.
- Randall Munroe (author of xkcd) is an INTP and sometimes when I read his comics I laugh so hard and think they're so sweet that it makes me fall in love for .5 seconds. Then I get over it. But the repetition of this occurrence suggests its statistical significance.

Thoughts?

I'm ENFJ, being more middle-of-the-spectrum in E, N, and J, but highly F.

(I've dated an INTJ (5 yrs) and ENFP (5 months and HEY! he was sleeping with his ex the whole time) unsuccessfully. My dad and I had a phone conversation in which he expressed that women who are most satisfied with their partners choose them, instead of sifting through a random string of men who pursue them. Women can find a partner in the former way, he concedes, but they "have a poor batting average."

This makes sense to me, especially in my post-being-cheated-on-seeking-to-gain-insight-from-the-situation state. And yes, I do realize that my "logic" is entirely subjective... but perhaps somewhat valid?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i love INTPs! the only guy i ever really loved was one. their humor is hilarious, they'll keep you company on the sidelines of a party all night (if you're not feeling like making small talk with a bunch of random strangers), and their depth of feeling is incredible. the problem is they're not always comfortable with their own feelings. sometimes they'll run from them. and you, intuiting and embracing the feelings, will have to struggle not to chase after them. . .(that's been my experience).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose as long as they're not entirely petrified of sharing their own feelings, especially for the sake of resolving conflict, then it'd be fine. The INTJ I dated had this passive-aggressive pattern of letting things bother him for a long time and then blowing up at me. On the other hand, the ENFP I dated wanted to talk about his feelings and the status of our relationship constantly, and frankly, I found it really stifling-- even as an F! When something's not broken, you don't need to fix it, you know? Ultimately, I think that attitude might suggest I'm better matched with a T, as long as he's somewhat engaged with his feeling side.

·
Registered
271 Posts
my, I feel flattered.

I'm not that into being in relationships. But there are times when I do and when that happens I usually prefer E/IxFx. But that's only when I absolutely have to. Which is also why i can't understand my friends, they interpret being in a relationship to some social status thing. Eugh.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my, I feel flattered.

I'm not that into being in relationships. But there are times when I do and when that happens I usually prefer E/IxFx. But that's only when I absolutely have to. Which is also why i can't understand my friends, they interpret being in a relationship to some social status thing. Eugh.
And it's great that you're comfortable not being in a relationship. If the relationship isn't a good one, then it doesn't matter how "cool" being in one makes you feel.

Co-dependency FTL!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:laughing:

I'm sure you'll have no trouble with the snagging part. It's the finding one that you need luck with.
Hm. Can't I just put up a flier a year from now in a physics or math lab on my local college campus to the effect of:

Wanted: Healthy INTP male for laughing, cuddling, and conversation about romance of quantum entanglement. Offering wit, sincerity, and unlimited peanut butter cookies. Contract to start, with potential for full-time. No smoking, please. Mythbusters t-shirts okay, and, in fact, encouraged.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Don't forget computer science, too.

I think your flier idea might work better if it is written in some kind of ciphertext. If they have to crack a code just to figure out what the message says, they'll be a lot more interested right of the bat. Think of it as viral marketing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget computer science, too.

I think your flier idea might work better if it is written in some kind of ciphertext. If they have to crack a code just to figure out what the message says, they'll be a lot more interested right of the bat. Think of it as viral marketing.
Ah, I see. And in the process of learning how to encode the flier, I'll gain another topic of conversation! Kind of like learning what all the football positions do if a girl wants to impress a jock? Except cooler, because ciphering has practical applications. Not that football doesn't, but... crap. Lol.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Ah, I see. And in the process of learning how to encode the flier, I'll gain another topic of conversation! Kind of like learning what all the football positions do if a girl wants to impress a jock? Except cooler, because ciphering has practical applications. Not that football doesn't, but... crap. Lol.
No, you were right.

It doesn't.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, you were right.

It doesn't.
Ha. I guess I always try to be fair to every opinion. See, what if I challenged INTP guys to debate the practical applications of football as a way to win my affections?

Kind of like when I ask my SAT students (I teach SAT/ACT test prep) to try arguing that MLK wasn't a hero, or that Gandhi actually promoted violence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sadly, we INTPs only make up about 1 to 2.5 percent of the general population. So finding us is looking for a needle in a haystack. But it is good to hear you are seeking us out. We have a hard time forming close relationships for various reasons but we can make good and loyal partners when snagged. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do that! Use their answers to type them and bag yourself an INTP. It'll be worth it. My ENFJ loves the shit out of me.

And who wouldn't? We're just... better than everyone else.
Ah ha! So an ENFJ and INTP CAN successfully co-mingle... just the kind of hard evidence I was looking for!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts