Personality Cafe banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm starting to realize introverted Guardians are often more reclusive than the introverted Rationals. I just realized my best friend growing up was an ISFJ. I liked him because we could just not go out and have fun doing nothing but I remember even I wanted to go out more than him. Also there is an ISFJ at my work and the joke is he is the only one more anti-social than me. Weird.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's also no fun talking to them about abstract things, you can almost see suggested theories fly over their head as they switch off or think about a more efficient way of organising their sock draws :tongue:
It just takes too much work. Especially if they aren't really trying. They don't even get my ironic/sarcastic/abstract jokes. I've been noticing that lately too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Although come to think of it most INTP's on this site don't get that either. Will that stop me? No. It will not.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Well, they're SJs and Si-doms.

So if they have the exact same non-existent social life as a hypothetical INTP, the ISTJ's situation will seem to be worse, because:

They're SJs. They know that lacking social skills is tsk tsked in society, and they're highly aware if they don't fit in. The J will make them set out to solve the problem, which can only be done if it's laid out thoroughly. The INTP might not care as much, and maybe casually muse at their solitary style, if that.

And they're S, specificially Si-users. They'll describe anything in painful detail, which can make anything seem painful. :wink:

But you're both Introverts, so I don't think the reality should be that different.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think I have better social skills than I give myself credit for I just struggle to care about my social life very much and thus go undeveloped due to lack of practice. I'm sure this is a common NT experience.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
We could do it if we wanted. We can do anything we want. We are NT's. The elite.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
It's interesting to watch the miscommunication going on here.

First off the ISTJ's are offended by the intp's. The good news is that the intp's don't notice and really don't care.
Though it's not meant to be offensive.

anyway to answer the thread, no istj's are not the social pariahs you guys are.

They come off as shy, you guys come off as shy and wierd.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Man you know what they are talking about how they are too serious and how this one girl met an INTP and lightened her up. haha seiously? If an INTP is lightening you up then you are pretty serious.

This makes me think personality theory is kinda just in our imaginations.
That's because it is.
It's not like God, the sweet Jehova, com't down and bestowed upon us 16 personality types, to which we all adhere, my brother.

Blame Jung.

167 Posts
I can only speak from experience, I have met about two ISTJs in my life. I thought I was the most anti-social human being until I met them. For me I still invite a few people I trust into my shell. It seems to me they hardly do it at all. I love having chats with them but too bad they sometimes don't get me when I get philosophical about life. They prefer what's here and now. But I tell you what they're really really nice genuine people, down to earth, and one of them who's a good friend of mine really took care of me when I was at my lows.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm starting to realize introverted Guardians are often more reclusive than the introverted Rationals. I just realized my best friend growing up was an ISFJ. I liked him because we could just not go out and have fun doing nothing but I remember even I wanted to go out more than him. Also there is an ISFJ at my work and the joke is he is the only one more anti-social than me. Weird.
God said:
Well, they're SJs and Si-doms.

So if they have the exact same non-existent social life as a hypothetical INTP, the ISTJ's situation will seem to be worse, because:

They're SJs. They know that lacking social skills is tsk tsked in society, and they're highly aware if they don't fit in. The J will make them set out to solve the problem, which can only be done if it's laid out thoroughly. The INTP might not care as much, and maybe casually muse at their solitary style, if that.

And they're S, specificially Si-users. They'll describe anything in painful detail, which can make anything seem painful.

But you're both Introverts, so I don't think the reality should be that different.
I think there's probably some truth to this. It's probably been one of the biggest problems in my life, my own self-consciousness socially. I've gotten way better about it over the last few years, though, and I'm much happier.

The ironic thing is that ISFJ's are probably more likable in general than INTJ's or INTP's. But because ISFJ's care so much about being liked and can be quiet and awkward socially, I think we tear ourselves up over it much moreso than INT's do.

That goes to show how messed up an ISFJ's mind can be, and why we constantly need support and encouragement. But when we learn to give that to ourselves, then we can actually become both more sociable and content with our anti-social vibes at the same time.

As for ISTJ's, I don't know, they're kind of tough to peg. I think they're probably more anti-social than an INTP or INTJ just because like ISFJ's, they get so stuck in their ways and are very comfortable with the same thing and not changing. Like God said, they're SJ's and Si doms, so that tend to happen. They probably don't care about it as much as ISFJ's do, though. I don't know if they care more than INT's do or not.

Reactions: j3321

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You're one of the only Guardians whose posts don't piss me off/bore me/confuse me/etc. *thumbs up*

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well while in general I think they don't have it easy, they can mask their lack of social interaction into work/career/whatever and because of that they'll still be perceived by people in a positive light ("so devoted to your job"; etc). We, on the other hand, will be perceived as crackpots, potheads and tramps.

Reactions: teddy564339

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You're one of the only Guardians whose posts don't piss me off/bore me/confuse me/etc. *thumbs up*
In my case, I think this is because over the years I've spent a lot of time on various internet forums, and I've had a lot of conversations with NT's. I have a few online NT friends, and I think I've come to understand NT's decently well, or at least a lot better than I did when I was younger. I still have a lot to learn, and PerC has taught me a lot too, but if I had to guess, I would say I get along with NT's better than a lot of SJ's get along with NT's.

SP's, especially ESP's, on the other hand, are still a pretty big mystery to me, since I haven't had nearly as much experience talking to them online. :tongue:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts