Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took my first MBTI type in the summer of 2011 it really opened my eyes.

But a lot of the problems and questions posted on this forum really don't resonate with me. In fact, while I may be very social I don't make friends very easily and have always felt an odd alienation from most people.

While this could be explained by being surrounded by sensors, I didn't like this explanation.

And then I learned all about the Enneagram.

A lot of the stereotypes thrown around in this forum can be easily explained more effectively by learning the enneagram.

It really helped narrow down my motivations as an individual. I finally settled down on my core type and tritype which helped explain a lot of my own issues. It's not a perfect system but a typographical map of my mind is better than nothing.

It definitely seems complicated at first, but start by reading every type and understanding how the wings work. Pick 3 types that you relate to the most in each triad (head, heart, and gut). Then, dive in to the instinctual variants.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree, being ENFP is one thing, finding out I'm a two was another thing entirely. Ahhhh! So THAT's why I do what I do!
:) Good call, my friend.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have to agree because I don't always identify with all the ENFP's here either. 7w8 is usually what I get when I test and what I identify with for the most part. I definitely identify with the 7 but the wing I am not totally sure about.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
while you're at it figure out your astrological sign and get a star chart.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
while you're at it figure out your astrological sign and get a star chart.
But see, the difference between astrology/horoscopes and enneagram is that enneagram actually makes sense. :p

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm apparently a 4w3, which I identify with pretty accurately.
Even so, I don't really take enneagram quite as seriously as MBTI because it's not founded on scientific data.

I'm curious though, could someone explain tri-types to me? I don't really understand that aspect of enneagram. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

But a lot of the problems and questions posted on this forum really don't resonate with me. In fact, while I may be very social I don't make friends very easily and have always felt an odd alienation from most people.

While this could be explained by being surrounded by sensors, I didn't like this explanation.

A lot of the stereotypes thrown around in this forum can be easily explained more effectively by learning the enneagram.

It really helped narrow down my motivations as an individual. I finally settled down on my core type and tritype which helped explain a lot of my own issues. It's not a perfect system but a typographical map of my mind is better than nothing.

It definitely seems complicated at first, but start by reading every type and understanding how the wings work. Pick 3 types that you relate to the most in each triad (head, heart, and gut). Then, dive in to the instinctual variants.
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out my Enneagram Type. Is there any test you think is particularly accurate or incisive? When I first took the MBTI tests, I got a few different responses but when I read the ENFP description, a few specifics jumped out at me and resonated with me, absolutely. I haven't had that experience reading any Enneagram descriptions. What would you suggest I do at this juncture, pls?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out my Enneagram Type. Is there any test you think is particularly accurate or incisive? When I first took the MBTI tests, I got a few different responses but when I read the ENFP description, a few specifics jumped out at me and resonated with me, absolutely. I haven't had that experience reading any Enneagram descriptions. What would you suggest I do at this juncture, pls?
There's only a couple aspects in enneagram descriptions that are really important in figuring out your type...I'm assuming you've read all the descriptions. Did any of the core motivations and fears resonate with you?

Reactions: NaughyChimp

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Ennegram just gives me a headache. I related to all of the 4'5 descriptions, but 3-5 people have insisted that's not my type, so now I'm just really confused and slightly annoyed.

Knowing I'm an ENFP is probably enough for now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty accurate:Energy and the Enneagram

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I see little bits of myself in 4, 2 and 7. None more than the other.
You can't be both 2 and 4. You can only have one heart type, one head type, and one gut type.

I'm a 9w1 2w3 7w6. What clinched the 9 as my core over the 2 is the fact that they can both outwardly appear the same but for very different internal reasons.

9 may help out someone as a way to maintain the peace and harmony of the relationship
2 may help out someone because it makes them feel needed in a sense...2 is hard for me to describe

But peace is of the utmost importance to me.

I'll see if I can find anything that charts the core motivations and fears of each type.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I knew my enneagram type long before I knew my MBTI (4w3 - 9w1 - 7w6 sx/so). I'm more comfortable with the system and know it much better; I'm still learning MBTI, to be honest, and thankfully have people to guide me along and be patient with my ignorance.

As far as self-awareness goes, I think it's definitely beneficial to discover your enneagram type. I can't get enough self-awareness, so I've jumped into every system on here at least long enough to figure out what I am/might be. :D The enneagram is just as complicated and detailed, especially when you get into tritypes and instinctual stackings. There's a forum where you can fill out a questionnaire and others will help you arrive at your type - it's very non-invasive.

I also wouldn't try to compare MBTI with enneagram as far as what is most common with ENFPs - like, just because you're a feeler doesn't mean you'll be a heart type, ect. The functions are very different. Which is probably why I'm still o_O when it comes to MBTI...

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts

Honestly I'm happy to be a 9. Plus I just tweaked my instinctual variants so I figured out that I'm a sx/sp 9. It puts who you are in a better focus. So I now know more about who I am.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm apparently a 4w3, which I identify with pretty accurately.
Even so, I don't really take enneagram quite as seriously as MBTI because it's not founded on scientific data.

I'm curious though, could someone explain tri-types to me? I don't really understand that aspect of enneagram. :unsure:

It takes a lot of research to understand how it all works out. Basically, each type has a core issue they are either repressing, over indulging, or ignoring.

The tritypes comes in because we all individually have three different fixes within us that combine together to make our personality. There's the gut (8,9,1), heart/image (2,3,4), and head (5,6,7). A tritype is basically describing the combined attributes of all three types to make the person you are as a whole.

You can't be bother a 2 and a 4. But you can be a 2,5, and an 8. Or, you can be the ultimate in ID and be a 3,7, and an 8.

It took me a lot of reading and time, but once I understood it all I finally found my type. It also explained a lot about who I am attracted to and why. MBTI could barely touch on that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts