Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got done working out and I was heading back to my house. I was pretty sweaty, and I was wearing a cut off t and I don't usually bring deodorant to the gym and just shower at my house instead.

I saw my friend and she and I have always been pretty close. I came her to hug her just to greet her, and she put her head against my shoulder/chest area initially. Then she started moving her face down, like right where my armpit was and it looked like she was smelling my armpit/my fresh sweat.

I honestly have no other idea what she was actually doing because her nose was right there next to that area probably centimeters from my armpit hair. Do you girls like that when a guy sweats?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It's all subjective -- regardless of gender. Some might enjoy sweat, I know I do (depending on the source, of course). Perhaps you just smell naturally good when sweating and your friend enjoys that smell? Or, she was curious and tried to be inconspicuous about it. Only way to know for certain would be to ask her.

4,926 Posts
Sometimes 'manly' smell can be hot. Depends on the visible sweatiness, though..

Reactions: Swede

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,256 Posts
Sometimes 'manly' smell can be hot. Depends on the visible sweatiness, though..
There was a psychology experiment done some time ago. Women were asked to smell a group of men's T-shirts after they wore them during the previous day (I may not recall the details correctly). The women didn't know who the men were. The men and women were classified according to DNA I think. I think the women liked the men more who were different from themselves but I'm not sure.

Needs a google.

Added: Note stale sweat is different from fresh. Same with urine.

4,926 Posts
There was a psychological experiment done some time ago. Women were asked to smell a group of men's T-shirts after they wore them during the previous day (I may not recall the details correctly). The women didn't know who the men were. The men and women were classified according to DNA I think. I think the women liked the men more who were different from themselves but I'm not sure.

Needs a google.
What do you mean 'different from themselves'?

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
No.

Either your friend is just weird and you're extrapolating this incident to apply to all women or you're weird for interpreting her nuzzle that way.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
No.

Either your friend is just weird and you're extrapolating this incident to apply to all women or you're weird for interpreting her nuzzle that way.
This time about 1000x.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No.

Well I take pride in being weird, so it's a win-win either way

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think women are attracted to guys who sweat. There's something about us, that we're giving off a good chemical reaction. All that said, why don't you bring deodorant to the gym, or shower at the gym? If you don't want to take a shower, that's fine, I don't shower when I go to the gym. However, you're going to the gym. You're putting yourself in an environment that makes you smell bad. Deodorant helps mask the smell after a long workout.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think women are attracted to guys who sweat. There's something about us, that we're giving off a good chemical reaction. All that said, why don't you bring deodorant to the gym, or shower at the gym? If you don't want to take a shower, that's fine, I don't shower when I go to the gym. However, you're going to the gym. You're putting yourself in an environment that makes you smell bad. Deodorant helps mask the smell after a long workout.
My house isn't far from the gym and I usually just walk there briskly and shower.

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
Omg, this made me laugh. So good.

If you guys are close why didn't you just ask her? Like "dude, did you just sniff my armpit?". Sweat can be okay in certain contexts, but I certainly don't go around sniffing people. Maybe she does, I donno. Or maybe she smelled something and wanted to see if it was you and not her.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Omg, this made me laugh. So good.

If you guys are close why didn't you just ask her? Like "dude, did you just sniff my armpit?". Sweat can be okay in certain contexts, but I certainly don't go around sniffing people. Maybe she does, I donno. Or maybe she smelled something and wanted to see if it was you and not her.
Yeah that's actually a pretty good idea. I just didn't know if it'd be too weird to ask her directly if she was smelling my armpit, but it probably wouldn't break our friendship

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just accept it. Why do you complain when they actually like something about you? If a female friend of mine smelled my armpit I would be very excited.
Dude I'm cool with it and I don't care if she wants to keep smelling my sweat. I was wondering if it was a thing for other girls or people though

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And this isn't the first time my armpit was smelled. Back when I lived with my mom and my dog in the summer, I'd come back from outside all sweaty and lay down. My dog's a little mini dachshund and he'd jump on the bed with me, stop where my armpit is and rub his face in it for like 5 minutes.

I read that it was his way of trying to get his scent on me and also put my scent on him since it's the area where the scent is the thickest.

I thought maybe some instinctual stuff like that may go into attraction, I don't really know I'm not really well versed in the subject. But I looked into it and I think they're called pheromones that make things like that occur

1 - 20 of 59 Posts