Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I hear or see someone say "I think" or "I feel" I automatically categorize them into either "thinkers" or "feelers"... more along the lines of whether they're intellectually sound or referring to their emotions regarding a subject or opinion.

To put it into context:
"I feel cold" vs "I feel like there should be other people helping"
and
"I think I'm cold" vs "I think that other people should help"

Maybe not the best use of examples, but I don't think I can find a proper way of explaining what I'm thinking right now. Anyone care to connect the dots for me?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have some real problems with this.

In evaluating "feeling" I am analytical. I have a lot of problems distinguishing feel from thinking.

Reactions: Istbkleta

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, one of my best friends is an ENFP (and knows it): I always take the micky out of her for saying "I feel-" instead of "I think-". For example, "I feel like we should go to the beach" instead of "I think we should go to the beach." I guess deep down it really is related to functions, although I've always imagined that it's just a semantic preference...

·
Registered
955 Posts
A friend of mine, ESTJ, was having trouble in his marriage. A small part of it was this. His wife would always ask him what he felt, being a feeler and all herself.

"Nothing", his answer. Or "I don't feel any particular way about ABC".

She never asked him what he thought, and there was always something on his mind. It just wasn't about how he felt about something.

It was a big gap in their communication and understanding of one another, each one interpreting the other one through their own eyes, making assumptions about each others motivations, which led to a lot of misunderstandings. Both being SJs, they learned this, and then never did a damn thing about it , though :)

He still thinks she's crazy, though maybe not as often as before
And she still thinks he's insensitive and inconsiderate, though maybe not as often as before
They both mean well, it's just not easy for them to see that in each other

Reactions: Istbkleta

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have some real problems with this.

In evaluating "feeling" I am analytical. I have a lot of problems distinguishing feel from thinking.
Hy, I am just spying you guys a little bit, no hard feelings! :D
I don't know any ENTP irl, but what I've read over the internet you guys sound very interesting, I am quite fond of you so I wanna know more. I always want to understand people and their way of thinking and this particular subject I can't figure it out.

Why is that so hard distinguishing feeling from thinking? I don't get it, can't actually relate to that. For me these are two completely different things. When I think about sth I don't have to necessary be attached to it or have feelings toward it.
Feeling means having emotions, you feel it strongly in your body, right?
You don't have to feel anything when you are just analyzing or thinking about sth.

So, why do you guys have trouble figuring out whether you feel or think if these are completely separated things, one doesn't have to involve the other?

I hope I am being clear, English is not my first language, so please forgive me if I sound ridicoulous! :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why is that so hard distinguishing feeling from thinking? I don't get it, can't actually relate to that. For me these are two completely different things. When I think about sth I don't have to necessary be attached to it or have feelings toward it.
Feeling means having emotions, you feel it strongly in your body, right?
You don't have to feel anything when you are just analyzing or thinking about sth.

So, why do you guys have trouble figuring out whether you feel or think if these are completely separated things, one doesn't have to involve the other?

I hope I am being clear, English is not my first language, so please forgive me if I sound ridicoulous! :)
Hmm, I'm not sure if this applies to the other ENTPs as well, but for me I feel uncomfortable with strong emotions, so I filter them through my Ti. In the end, it becomes hard to distinguish how much is actually 'feeling' or 'thinking'. It took me about a year to realize I was seriously in love rather than just my natural Ti-doubting glitching on me. (In that situation, it made no sense to fall in love and I'd get nothing out of it, hence why I kept thinking it was just my Ti lashing out on me.)

Of course, there are emotions I can't control. That's what makes me so uncomfortable. The other day I felt such love towards my friends I felt like sending them all "I love you" texts. Considering how they're all Thinkers and have known me for years, I think they'd probably have thought these were my final words before I pull a kamikaze or something.

And for the record, your English is almost flawless except for that last typo, so you don't sound ridiculous at all :)

Reactions: Kaly

·
Registered
226 Posts
I say "I feel..." when I'm making up facts or blatantly lying lol. Because I feel like if I lie while using the form "I think" that my logic would come into question. And that's one thing I never want questioned about me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I avoid the phrase "I feel" like the plauge.
Though that can be partially attributed to the fact that when I was ~6 years old, somebody told me that "I-messages" were the best way to solve conflicts:
"I feel______(insert emotion) when you________(insert action) because_______(explain how the action makes you feel that way)."
But that's just me trying to be a cool little 6 year old and fight the man.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
To put it into context:
"I feel cold" vs "I feel like there should be other people helping"
and
"I think I'm cold" vs "I think that other people should help"
That just sounds like you're unsure about whether you're cold or not, not really an affirmation. "I feel cold" sounds more confident and assured as to what your current state is at. Some may forgo extra words and just say, "I'm cold". That's easy enough.

"I think it's hot outside" sounds like an opinion rather than a statement, you're considering that it is "hot" outside. "I feel it's hot outside" sounds like you're sensing that the weather is awry and that you might have to wear sunblock. That's why some people might say, "It's hot outside" and skip anything that involves thinking or feeling.

Both "think" and "feel" are used interchangeably in conversation, most people just go for what sounds right. Usually that means it's something that has been said many times before so it's familiar and acceptable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the answer can be derived from examples of its proper usage.
Example:
“I feel like you are attacking me.” “I felt really loved when you said…” “I feel like just sitting in the shade and drinking a cold glass of lemonade.”
“I think you’re wrong.” “By jove, I think you’re on to something!” “I think it would work better if you did this.” “I think Sherlock Holmes should have known the earth revolves around the sun.”

Yeah, it is just clear to me I guess. I know when I am thinking and feeling.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I say "I feel..." when I'm making up facts or blatantly lying lol. Because I feel like if I lie while using the form "I think" that my logic would come into question. And that's one thing I never want questioned about me!
I feel that this is just SO NOT PC.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Both "think" and "feel" are used interchangeably in conversation, most people just go for what sounds right. Usually that means it's something that has been said many times before so it's familiar and acceptable.
Are you saying it's not related to the MBTI?

I kind of accepted it was.
I feel you might be onto something.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
Are you saying it's not related to the MBTI?

I kind of accepted it was.
I feel you might be onto something.
I don't see why word choice would be an indicator of MBTI type.

Reactions: Eerie

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I don't see why word choice would be an indicator of MBTI type.
Me neither. I just "assumed" it would be.
Thank you.

I suspect many ppl would also assume the same.

The process one uses to reach an assumption would seem irrelevant. One is assuming whichever of the two processes is used.

Both assume to know the "truth". Rather authoritarian, the internal judging functions.

I would be interested to see this thread answered in the IxxP forums. They are Ti or Fi doms and should give more precise answers.

Possibly language patterns have another function other than relaying what is inside to the outside world.

Well, fascinating. But too much effort just for language patterns.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Lmao at the suggestion that an ENTP would ever seriously use the term "not PC" like it was a legitimate reason to think a certain way!
It is a legitimate reason!

The fact it is in so many ppl's reality makes it a legit reason for any ENTP :laughing:

And I never said "think". Did I? :confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.