Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I could tell stories on this but I'll put on limits here.

In response to women liking or not liking beards, I have a short one. However my view is in return I don't go for women with short beards. I guess this is pre-judging as I've never met any.

The other story is a girl I went with shaved not only below the knee but above. I told her I didn't go for that. It wasn't the visual aspect. It was that, ahem, I found it scratchy where smooth was preferred. (Bad me.)

Anyway when I asked her to stop she said it would grow back heavy and look bad. I don't recall what happened after that. When I asked her why she began shaving there, she said she and her girlfriend did it because it was recommended by speed cyclists.
Tbh I can't say for certain which would turn me off more: a woman with hairy legs, or a woman with a hairy face.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,488 Posts
Yes I'm aware. But now my tastes have been unconsciously or subconsciously manipulated by that, and now I'm stuck.
You've obviously never dated a woman in the snowbelt during Winter.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Self-grooming is a form of personal hygiene. It's really this simple.
I don't understand the fights and angry debates online, so I decided to avoid reading into these topics. Best decision I've made, can save you from a headache~
Sharing legs is personal hygiene? Does this mean the majority of men who don't shave their legs are unhygienic?

I'm lazy. I got my leg hair, armpit hair and bikini line removed with laser hair removal. Maybe I'm bad with personal hygiene but I didn't want to keep up the effort.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
723 Posts
Sharing legs is personal hygiene? Does this mean the majority of men who don't shave their legs are unhygienic?

I'm lazy. I got my leg hair, armpit hair and bikini line removed with laser hair removal. Maybe I'm bad with personal hygiene but I didn't want to keep up the effort.
Not really, I’ll explain a little how I see it.
I personally believe intimate areas hair removal is a matter of hygiene to both genders. This includes armpits.

As for other areas; whether they want to keep up with it or not is up to them. It’s more of an extra thing. Leg (and arm) hair is not dirty, it’s just a matter of grooming oneself. Plus the experience differs from one person to another based on genetics, so no judging. Would never go around and label people as hygienic or not based on that, in the end of the day it’s a personal choice whether they want to put the effort.

My earlier post refered to self-grooming in general, it’s a matter of personal hygiene and not a hot topic to debate (referring to online angry arguments I keep reading, specifically the ones on Twitter).
Apologies my post was vague and seemed out of context since I didn’t elaborate.

And yes I understand being lazy, it’s not a fun choir. Laser is the best choice to go for. Better for the skin, no ingrown hair, no possible scarring, and has a long-term effect.

·
Administrator
13,604 Posts
Not really, I’ll explain a little how I see it.
I personally believe intimate areas hair removal is a matter of hygiene to both genders. This includes armpits.

As for other areas; whether they want to keep up with it or not is up to them. It’s more of an extra thing. Leg (and arm) hair is not dirty, it’s just a matter of grooming oneself. Plus the experience differs from one person to another based on genetics, so no judging. Would never go around and label people as hygienic or not based on that, in the end of the day it’s a personal choice whether they want to put the effort.

My earlier post refered to self-grooming in general, it’s a matter of personal hygiene and not a hot topic to debate (referring to online angry arguments I keep reading, specifically the ones on Twitter).
Apologies my post was vague and seemed out of context since I didn’t elaborate.

And yes I understand being lazy, it’s not a fun choir. Laser is the best choice to go for. Better for the skin, no ingrown hair, no possible scarring, and has a long-term effect.
So it's unhygienic for men not to shave their armpits and their balls?

What about their faces--I would think beards collect more germs in them than armpit hair, being that they are in proximity to their mouths (which they put food into).

Are beards and mustaches also a matter of hygiene and shaving chores?

Just curious.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
723 Posts

What about their faces--I would think beards collect more germs in them than armpit hair, being that they are in proximity to their mouths (which they put food into).

Just curious.
Honestly honestly speaking,
i didn’t think much of that :’ )

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
4,979 Posts
I think those who agressively defend the right not to shave do it as a reaction to the really strangely strong reactions not shaving sometimes elicit. Like when I read this a few days ago I started on a post and looked for a picture to go with it, and there was this picture of a model for sportswear, who showed a little bit of hair on her calves, and the heading was that she had received rape threats for that picture, that was for ads for adidas sportswear. And lots of criticism. And it is far from the first time I hear of such things, there was someone showing unshaven armpit hair on tv here some years ago... can't remember exactly, but there were death threats and shit, kicked up a storm. I think it is something about submission...

Personally I have never had very strong reactions to me not shaving, but I get looks now and then, like ridicule or unapproval. And that is the problem I think, that it is not any of their business. I get the feel when I read or hear comments about shaving sometimes, that some people think people who don't kind of deprive them of seeing nice shaved people in public/pictures. But no-one has the responsibility to provide them with that, it is not their right to be provided with shaved bodies to look at.

·
Administrator
13,604 Posts
Yes I'm aware. But now my tastes have been unconsciously or subconsciously manipulated by that, and now I'm stuck.
Most women have probably been subjected to far more of that type of manipulation from cosmetic companies.

So you should be aware that women who don't shave their legs, many of them are probably fully aware (and probably more aware than most men) of how it violates social norms and how some men and women feel about the idea (that it is unclean, that it is unattractive, that it is unfeminine etc.)

Women have grown up hearing these types of messages their entire lives. You can repeat the same messages to them, but it's not going to be new or original, and it's not something they've unaware of in almost all situations where women consciously choose not to shave.

And yeah--it's nothing to be ashamed of. All of us are socialized. We are all subjected to that process--it's part of being human. And I personally think it's unreasonable to expect one's self to be able to undo every part of socialization. You choose what you want to question and you do not have to feel a particular way about anything, but it's just good to respect other people's bodily integrity and choice, and also to treat others with respect. But I personally still carry many messages I've internalized through socializing. I think everyone does.

As for it being lazy--it's actually more difficult imo to not shave your legs than to do it. If you don't believe me, and you're a woman--try not shaving your legs for a whole year and getting yourself to go to the beach without shaving. Then tell me how it's about laziness and how easy it is not to shave.

I honestly don't think it's a big deal--people get to do what they want with their own bodies and it shouldn't be anyone else's business.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a lesser story.

My favorite part of men is their sweaty socks. But in the name of decency, they must be under a month old in sweat. Otherwise it sorta starts to look like semen.

Shaving. Such a delightful aspect about hygiene. But what is more important to men, tits and arse or a shaved runway for a less icy take off?

·
Registered
I Thimk INTP
14,151 Posts

Just curious.
Now wait one minute. Some people are constantly on the outlook for sexist proclivities. If men are subject to beard hygiene, they are going to have to shave their heads as well. To be fair women will have to also. It's not enough to shampoo twice. It's what happens in between.

Reactions: Ock

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Administrator
13,604 Posts
Now wait one minute. Some people are constantly on the outlook for sexist proclivities. If men are subject to beard hygiene, they are going to have to shave their heads as well. To be fair women will have to also. It's not enough to shampoo twice. It's what happens in between.

It is true--considering the dubious nature of human hair, we should probably just shave and wax all of it off just to be safe.

I shouldn't joke about it though--I'm sure if cosmetic companies could find a way to convince us this needed to be done we'd all be spending an extra few hundred dollars on eliminating all the hair on our entire bodies (including eyebrows and hair). But then what would happen to the shampoo industry, or the hair stylists and the hair products? I think it's better to just keep the expectation that women have long, thick hair but ONLY on their heads, and the rest of their body be completely hairless--as that would probably take the most energy and money to maintain. Perhaps the men will be joining us soon--and y'all can enjoy spending your mornings in the shower smoothing out your legs, chests, arms etc. and getting your bikinis waxed in the salon.

Doesn't this seem like a nice way to spend the afternoon?

But I had a shaved head in high school--it's not bad. Way less shampoo needed--no need to put the hair back. I loved it at the time.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
547 Posts
Dude, it's okay to have preferences.

I mean preferences are preferences. As long as nobody is forced to do anything, I am fine with it.
I personally prefer girls who are cleaned up, but the same goes for anyone else really. As long as you don't look "gross" or unclean, there shouldn't be any issue.
In the same right, girls are also allowed to have preferences for how they want their guys to present themselves.

I know I personally shave almost everyday, as I prefer to be clean shaven. I think it makes me look more presentable.
I get called a "pretty-boy" a lot, but who really cares?

I could pull off the scruffy look pretty well, but it makes me feel gross after a while, and unclean.
I know lots of girls prefer clean shaven men, so it just so happens both of our preferences align.

I know lots of girls shave because it makes them feel more hygenic.
Lots of guys prefer shaved women, so their interests align as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@ImpossibleHunt5 I've heard a number of times that the most preferred male facial hair for women is short and trimmed facial hair. Neither you or I generally fit that criterion. But I know there's still a lot of women that prefer no facial hair, and my gf att thought my long beard was "sexy".

Reactions: WickerDeer

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
618 Posts
There's nothing wrong with leg hair, people only expect women to be smooth like an egg because of marketing and such. That said, I really don't care (as a woman) if some or most men prefer hairless legs or not, as long as it's not accompanied by an entitled attitude. I think it's wrong for men to expect women to waste their time on a basically pointless activity to meet some arbitrary aesthetic standard, and act like petulant children if their preference isn't met. Communicating preferences should be done in a way that doesn't imply the other person is disgusting and shameful for not meeting them. Especially with something like shaving, which is medically unnecessary and highly time-consuming. The alternative would be permanent hair removal, but it can be expensive and way above some people's budgets.

It's the same thing with men and beards. Some men actually do look quite a bit better clean-shaven. I'd say it's not because being clean-shaven looks better per se but if you have a nice jawline a beard would obscure it. But aside from that, I think if for some reason men all decided to stop shaving their beards, women would quickly get used to it and start to see it as the norm.

That's not being lazy, it's being efficient. Shaving regularly if you're going to do it at all is such a waste of time and effort imo. Which is what I personally hate about beauty standards around body hair.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Wtf is that supposed to mean?
If you can't fulfill your sexuality it is your personal problem so keep it personal. Sob sob my prefered part of women is when they're a harem of perfect virgin lesbians who for some reason want to call me master but they should have the right to disagree but lemme open a thread and complain because life is so unfairrrr

Shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
I Thimk INTP
14,151 Posts
Attention: All women, men, and other. Leave nature alone. You have all been fleeced by the heavy duty corporate giaint hair industry. Leave your fur, manes, thatches be. It's not too late. Get a wig, toupee if necessary.

Think about it. Without leg protection any self-respecting cootie with a right to that name can crawl up your leg to God knows where without your knowing it and you will die.
[/URL]

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you can't fulfill your sexuality it is your personal problem so keep it personal. Sob sob my prefered part of women is when they're a harem of perfect virgin lesbians who for some reason want to call me master but they should have the right to disagree but lemme open a thread and complain because life is so unfairrrr

Shut the fuck up.
I wasn't THAT fuckin' upset about it. I was just making conversation, you know, what social media is for. Women not shaving is hardly a reason I think life is unfair. Maybe stop being a fuckin' troll, and YOU stfu. I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Reactions: ENFPathetic
21 - 40 of 87 Posts