Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if there are any INFPs out there who used to think they were INFJs and why they decided that they were absolutely INFP, and visa versa.

I recently decided that I am an INFJ because although the description of INFP described me to a point, the INFJ description includes my reserved self while still being able to portray an outgoing persona. As well as my external orderliness while internally there is nothing organized about me.

Besides, I know at least three INFPs and they are more similar to each other rather than they are to me, and even they think I'm quite odd, or as they sugar coat it, "unique".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't use the word sugar coat! It is my most hated phrase. Rarely does the infp ever really sugarcoat, or at least I mean what I say lol. If they thought you were weird they'd call you weird lol :tongue:

Anyway, I used to think I was an infj because I was a lot harsher than the airy fairy description of most infp things. Then I realized that most of the infp descriptions are wrong for me because I'm the dark and slightly more outgoing variety that fails to be mentioned a lot. Its not that I'm bad or unhealthy. I'm just a bit more Tim Burton than classic Disney lol. I had to realize I don't really use Ni a lot...I use Ne. :cool:

To be honest though I'm not absolutely sure I'm infp. I'm Lindbergh enfp in ways. Where exactly would I go to figure this out??? :crazy:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think I'm putting on an outgoing persona.

Once one of my friends described me as a very outgoing person, which I found very odd; I'm very introverted.

But I'm comfortable enough around my friends to appear outgoing and I can be that too around not so close friends (like classmates).

I've wondered whether I was an ENFP. I've also wondered whether I was an INTP. I've even wondered whether I was an INFJ.

The only letter I'm certain of is N, though I lean so heavily to INFP that "normal" people would call me certain, lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off, thank you two so much for responding!

Rosethorne, I can't help but mention how much I love the way you described yourself as being more Tim Burton than classic Disney, that's adorable. I too for the same reasons see myself as an INFJ more so than an INFP for those two reasons along with others.

I have some questions for the two of you, if you both do not mind answering.

INFPs are generally consdiered to be ineffective at putting logic to good use, although I do not consider there to be one 'logical' solution to any problem, I can solve a problem by looking at it from many different perspectives, and decide which one will produce the best outcome. Do the two of you have this ability? And do you think it leans more towards INFJ than INFP?

When I am angry at someone I care about, it eats away at me, and I lash out at them and often say horrible things that I soon bite my tongue and regret saying, and as much as I am ashamed to say it, at the point in time when I am fired up I WANT to hurt them. I want them to hurt like I am hurting, and I realize that all though this it is an irrational INFP moment where emotions take over, I see it as a darker side of me that can't possibly be the innocent, caring, understanding INFP. Do you guys have a darkside as well that gets the better of you when you lose control of your emotions? Could this POSSIBLY be an INFP trait?

An INFJ trait I've found myself connecting with that explains something I've done for years and haven't quite been sure why is that sometimes I will make things up just to see if someone will believe them. Just little stories that I will say have happened to me when they really haven't to see the person's reaction and whether they are gulliable enough to accept it. I remember reading in the INFJ forum in an article that INFJ's will make up characters and live through them, I think this is what I am doing, and I just can't help myself. Do you guys do this?

Also, I day dream quite a bit, well actually...all the time. But a lot of it is creating situations and playing them out to see what I think of how other's will react and how I would feel (because I can feel how I would feel in real life through daydreams, if that makes any sense). I always thought daydreaming was an INFP trait, but I think that most INFPs daydream about epic adventures rather than playing through situations. What do you guys daydream about?

And everything I think about is connected to another thing, that's connected to another thing, and often I find that people can't keep up with my train of thought so they dismiss whatever I have to say as "random," when it is NOT random and it IS related. Just because THEY can't see the connections doesn't mean that it isn't related. Do the two of you have this problem while communicated with other people?

Well...I think this is enough rambling for now! I would love to hear back from the two of you, if you wouldn't mind!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TruthSeeker...that's absolutely me. Thank you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very organized, my desk is always clean. When I have to use someone else's desk I will clean it beforehand because I can't think in a mess. It's like it's blocking my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
A J is more interested in having things tied up, a definite answer, an end to things, having closure.

A P is more interested in exploring options and possibilities.

A J is most satisfied finishing a project, and a P is more satisfied at the start of projects - a P may have trouble finishing anything; they keep starting more things!

Sometimes a J may be self-motivated, driven, where a P might lack motivation or drive.

A J probably has a well-ordered personal space, whereas a P probably has a messy personal space.

A J wants to have a schedule laid out, and if a P plans ahead at all, they want their plans to be flexible.

A J is always right :tongue: A P may be right, but so may anyone else be.

What I notice is that an INFJ is absolutely, extremely proud of their type, because their type description sounds exactly like them, and they thought they were a freak, but actually, they discover reading of types, they're just a rare personality type. This is also true of INFPs, but usually not to the same degree.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I enjoy exploring possibilities and having closure! I like to tie the loose ends together myself though.

I have trouble finishing projects, but I always get excited when starting new projects. And I LOVE finishing them, because that's one less thing on the list of a BIJILLION projects that I want to do. But the satisfaction never lasts long so I have to start and finish more projects.

The only reason I have motivation is because I strive to be the best I can be, so that's got to be self-motivation!

I like to make flexible schedules, I don't like routines. I CAN'T STAND them. I get so bored.

I am externally well-ordered and am very good at keeping things clean and orderly, but my thoughts are a mess. A mess I like and know where everything is at even though no one else seems to be able to pick through it. I am constantly swifting through different ideas, trying to prove them wrong to see if they are right.

I don't think that there is any single right answer to anything, I think that everyone has their own answers and they can be just as good as anyone else's answers!

I already know that I am a four-eyed freckled freak and damn proud of it, no matter what my typology is. The INFJ fits me, but I've just thought of myself as an INFP for so long...it's kinda hard to let go. :(

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
"unique" is big compliment from an INFP :wink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually four years ago when I was fourteen I took the MBTI test on similiarminds and my results came in as INTP. Then it started showing up as INFP. The percentages for my thinking and feelings are really close, as well as my P and J. And I often get confused for an extrovert by people around me (from what I understand is pretty common with INFJs).

My INFP friends call me 'unique', and my ISTP friend calls me 'odd'. My INTJ friend calls me unique as well. I find a connection with my INTJ friend that I don't with my other friends. We have a sense of admiration and respect for one another. And I'm pretty sure my ISTP friend thinks I am insane. This is another one that I have a weird bond with. We hate each other, but we can't seem to stay the hell away from one another.

This is kind of off topic, but what are some of the types that you seem to have connections with that you don't have with others?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and I LOVE a friend of mine who is an INFP and a female. I've never been able to have such amazing abstract conversations about emotions like that with anyone before. I could spend hours talking to her about human behavior and theories of why we feel the way we do. She gives wonderful input, and we can get so lost in thought we sit there completely content and quiet. It's like we can communicate without talking at times. It's really awesome. I only open up to her every once in a while in this way, but she is the only person I share this bond with.

I have an INFP friend that is male. In general I find him whiny and self-pitying, but he means well.

Both of my INFP friends write a lot, which I find amusing!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I enjoy exploring possibilities and having closure! I like to tie the loose ends together myself though.

I have trouble finishing projects, but I always get excited when starting new projects. And I LOVE finishing them, because that's one less thing on the list of a BIJILLION projects that I want to do. But the satisfaction never lasts long so I have to start and finish more projects.

The only reason I have motivation is because I strive to be the best I can be, so that's got to be self-motivation!

I like to make flexible schedules, I don't like routines. I CAN'T STAND them. I get so bored.

I am externally well-ordered and am very good at keeping things clean and orderly, but my thoughts are a mess. A mess I like and know where everything is at even though no one else seems to be able to pick through it. I am constantly swifting through different ideas, trying to prove them wrong to see if they are right.

I don't think that there is any single right answer to anything, I think that everyone has their own answers and they can be just as good as anyone else's answers!

I already know that I am a four-eyed freckled freak and damn proud of it, no matter what my typology is. The INFJ fits me, but I've just thought of myself as an INFP for so long...it's kinda hard to let go. :(
It sounds like you do have qualities of both. Join the club. :tongue: The only other thing I can add is the functions of INFJ vs. INFP:
INFJ - Ni Fe Ti Se
INFP - Fi Ne Si Te

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use Ni, I know it, because it's what I use to do math with. I 'feel' whether the solution to the math problem is right, and I am usually right.

I think I am Fe because I like to show people that I care about them. If someone is feeling down I will offer them a hug and ask what is wrong and whatnot.

I keep my thoughts generally to myself because I have come to realize that not everyone wants to hear what I have to say, or think. Sometimes people just want you to listen and they don't really care about your thoughts, they just need someone to fuel their own thoughts.

I don't get the difference between Si and Se, would you mind explaining please, rowingineden?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I use Ni, I know it, because it's what I use to do math with. I 'feel' whether the solution to the math problem is right, and I am usually right.

I think I am Fe because I like to show people that I care about them. If someone is feeling down I will offer them a hug and ask what is wrong and whatnot.

I keep my thoughts generally to myself because I have come to realize that not everyone wants to hear what I have to say, or think. Sometimes people just want you to listen and they don't really care about your thoughts, they just need someone to fuel their own thoughts.

I don't get the difference between Si and Se, would you mind explaining please, rowingineden?
I'm not super well-versed in cognitive functions, particularly Sensing. But my impression is, Se is taking in the details of your environment right now as they are, what's immediately accessible. Si has to do with relating what's going on around you in the moment to what you already know/have experienced.

Reactions: Tammy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much for all your insight Rowinginden! I am more certain now than ever that I am INFJ.

It's the only type that's ever explained how I can be so open to people while holding myself away from them. And how I appear cold when I am anything but!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Thank you very much for all your insight Rowinginden! I am more certain now than ever that I am INFJ.

It's the only type that's ever explained how I can be so open to people while holding myself away from them. And how I appear cold when I am anything but!
That does sound like an INFJ. Relating to people on a deeper level, but being quite careful about how much of yourself you expose to others. It's not that it's impossible for you to open up, it's just that other people have to sort of prove that they are deserving of that, first.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've actually gone through quiet a few types over time: INTP, INTJ, INFP, ISFP. I have been kind of convinced that I was an INFJ for a while now, because I seem to be more of an Fe user, with well-developed Ti (I always try hard to find the right word for things). I thought of myself as an Ni user because I often get hunches, or certain "vibes" about things, but I also seem to use Ne as well. I'm beginning to doubt my INFJness though, because I've noticed that I relate to the INFP board a little better than the INFJ board. So, now I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hey, my functions are generally: Fi Ni Ne Fe Se Si Te Ti (with a tendency to switch themselves around based on demands of each situation). It's a bit odd. The way I move through the world is most like an INFP, but an unusual one. I just slip into other modes so easily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.