Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the test from the book, Discovering your Personality Type, by Riso/Hudson and answered the questions exactly as I felt and acted when I was 15 years to mid 20s. I scored highest on type 2. The detailed description of type 2 describes me very well at that age. I was also scored as an ENFJ at the age of 18 or 19, when I took the test for a career counselor.

For the last couple years, answering exactly as I feel/act now, I consistently score a type 7. It fits me perfectly today. I also score consistently as an ENFP today.

Is changing type common? I think I was always an ENFP/seven, but couldn't be myself given my role as oldest in my family and my parents expectations. But over time, as I've live more to my own values, and have more life experience, I have become more 'me.'

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Reactions: Neon Knight

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I took the test from the book, Discovering your Personality Type, by Riso/Hudson and answered the questions exactly as I felt and acted when I was 15 years to mid 20s. I scored highest on type 2. The detailed description of type 2 describes me very well at that age. I was also scored as an ENFJ at the age of 18 or 19, when I took the test for a career counselor.

For the last couple years, answering exactly as I feel/act now, I consistently score a type 7. It fits me perfectly today. I also score consistently as an ENFP today.

Is changing type common? I think I was always an ENFP/seven, but couldn't be myself given my role as oldest in my family and my parents expectations. But over time, as I've live more to my own values, and have more life experience, I have become more 'me.'

Have any of you had a similar experience?
Very much! I did it from the same book and I did it from the before highly stressed period in my life and included the period when I moved out of parents home and done high school periods when I felt most able to be myself and I score 7 for those though my counsellors believe 4 suits me better, it's the next highest so that counts right? lol. I also believe because they are counsellors talking to me about things that bother me and not things that went right that they wouldn't know that side of me and my motivations. Anyway my scores were as follows:

1=old 13, now 13
2=old 20, now 10
3=old 14, now 17
4=old 21, now 23
5=old 10, now 16
6=old 14, now 17
7=old 24, now 19
8=old 12, now 13
9=old 16, now 17

As you can see the biggest changes are the 7 and 4 are reversed, and 2 went way down and 5 up quite a bit. Life changes certainly played a role in those differences. In the book they show an example of someone taking it at different times in their life, so that's why I did a newer one. I'm still breaking my head trying to figure out my MBTI though. I wish I could get both done with one of the counsellors with me so I can verify I'm answering properly when I'm unsure. My tritype was 749 but now 479, so it stayed basically the same.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing, Revy2hand. I didn't record answers in the book because it was library book so I didn't get a tritype. Its facinating, we want to know as much as possible, but also not be limited by type. I scored highest on 7, 2 and 9.
We're just not set in stone, are we? :')

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Thanks for writing, Revy2hand. I didn't record answers in the book because it was library book so I didn't get a tritype. Its facinating, we want to know as much as possible, but also not be limited by type. I scored highest on 7, 2 and 9.
We're just not set in stone, are we? :')
Yeah apparently the Enneagram isn't set in stone, but that's just my interpretation based on what I read in the book. I also photocopied my results for all the questions but I don't know where they went if I gave them to my counsellor or not. It's an awful long test to redo, but if you're willing I say go for it lol. I made sure to write the totals down before I returned it, though I screwed up one in my second one because my total comes to 145 questions, I recounted many times and couldn't find where I messed up, it might not be an important difference but it still bugs me lol. I just got another book called Personality Self-Portrait, an older version of the book now that they have that do the Oldham test (Mercurial, Conscientious, Vigilant, etc) and did that quiz. I seem to be obsessed with personality quizzes lol. I wish I could take an official MBTI that's one I'm having a hell of a time figuring out. My counsellor said those tests cost about 1000$ so I guess that's out lol :sad: Since you know your type at least now you can figure out your variant and maybe your wing just by reading the descriptions since you don't have your results.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. I think I'm a 7 with a 6 wing. I'm certain I'm a sexual variant. On similarminds.com, taking the long test, I consistently score 7 sexual.

It's fun taking every test you can find. I either end up with more questions and searching or more awareness and growth. They are both worthwhile. :')

You can look up MBTI certification, if psychology interests you. I'm considering it, but have to figure out the financial aspect. A four day course is about $1500.00 and they have them all over the country. I think it would be great to administer the MBTI to others in business, ministry etc.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
yes. I think I'm a 7 with a 6 wing. I'm certain I'm a sexual variant. On similarminds.com, taking the long test, I consistently score 7 sexual.

It's fun taking every test you can find. I either end up with more questions and searching or more awareness and growth. They are both worthwhile. :')

You can look up MBTI certification, if psychology interests you. I'm considering it, but have to figure out the financial aspect. A four day course is about $1500.00 and they have them all over the country. I think it would be great to administer the MBTI to others in business, ministry etc.
Wow we're popping up everywhere, I've seen a lot of 7w6s here, maybe it's just because I'm looking now I don't know lol. I get different results online than I do the actual tests. I've gotten 5,4,9, I think 8 once, I was like "huh?" I can see the others but that was just weird lol.I really feel like I've found and possibly accepted myself by finding out about my desires and motivations and such and I guess more complete because I never had that sense of identity most people seem to have (I've never asked so I don't know). Plus I'm not going against my own grain any more trying to be something I'm not. It's really great when you find you're not quirky and that there a lots of people just like you and that you're not dysfunctional either. In fact I've never gotten to the unhealthy 7 area, just average which is good considering what I've read lol.

Usually I think you have 2 instinctual variants, it looks that way, I'm pretty sure they only show the top 2 because the last one is obvious. Like for me it's sexual/self-preservation and social is dead last (not surprised lol). I got mixed results initially between sexual/self-preservation and self-preservation/sexual. Check this thread here, that's what for sure nailed me as a sexual/self-preservation:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/9163-type-seven-variant-stackings.html

If I knew enough about MBTI to feel comfortable looking for certification I hope that I would know my own type first and foremost. I'm in the process of answering some questions I found that people were asking of other people who were confused about what their type is. It would be great to be able to administer, first you can analyse lots of people and you get to make loads of money while doing it (from what I've heard).

I find myself taking every interesting sounding quiz I come across. I even started one thread based on one I found and I found another more comprehensive one so I liked it in there. Look for 100 Point Sexual Purity Test if you're interested. :wink: I'm working on another good one since this one apparently worked as far as being interesting enough.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Revy2hand! I'll check it out.

The MBTI training has pre-reading materials, probably the test for your type before you take the course. I think you learn everything in the course. Its sounds facinating to me. Wouldn't it be great top spend your days discovering types and encouraging people in their strengths?

I was always very social, but not sure what my secondary variant is. the last few years dealing with some severe events I have been very introverted and not at all social, but then at work, I run around energized and making everyone feel welcomed and cared about. I would think sex/soc, because I was always found in groups as a child but also loved my reading time or time walking. I probably did think Id die without my friends at some point. :')

I know it has to do with survival, but need to look into it more. I feel as a response to crisis I have been self-preserving, but not sure ifIi was before. I've always liked having a few very intimate friendships but also feel like everyone's my friend until somehow I find out they can't be. I know the variants are different, though.

This is great. I really appreciate your thoughts!

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Thanks Revy2hand! I'll check it out.

The MBTI training has pre-reading materials, probably the test for your type before you take the course. I think you learn everything in the course. Its sounds facinating to me. Wouldn't it be great top spend your days discovering types and encouraging people in their strengths?

I was always very social, but not sure what my secondary variant is. the last few years dealing with some severe events I have been very introverted and not at all social, but then at work, I run around energized and making everyone feel welcomed and cared about. I would think sex/soc, because I was always found in groups as a child but also loved my reading time or time walking. I probably did think Id die without my friends at some point. :')

I know it has to do with survival, but need to look into it more. I feel as a response to crisis I have been self-preserving, but not sure if I was before. I've always liked having a few very intimate friendships but also feel like everyone's my friend until somehow I find out they can't be. I know the variants are different, though.

This is great. I really appreciate your thoughts!
Yeah it would :happy: I'm gonna try and ask my counsellor about that, I doubt I'd be able to get one but it would be worth asking.

I'm not sure that social in this case just means you are a social person but actually is something to do with groups of people. Severe events do seem to change a lot in personality, I can identify. I tended to have a few close friends but I did enjoy being in large groups of friends too (what I call mostly acquaintances now). I did until I felt overwhelmed by maintaining my personal space and cleaning up after people every day lol.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I understand the variants are related to survival and comfort more than just social or not. I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

Have you ever felt like you're in a holding pattern and unable to land? I'm needing to move forward but I'm stuck in a way. Being alone has been what has helped me, but it probably isn't good for me after a certain point.

What I like about this site and all we learn here is that we can hopefully learn new ways of doing things but still appreciate the ways we do, do things because of our personalities and attitudes.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
yeah, I understand the variants are related to survival and comfort more than just social or not. I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

Have you ever felt like you're in a holding pattern and unable to land? I'm needing to move forward but I'm stuck in a way. Being alone has been what has helped me, but it probably isn't good for me after a certain point.

What I like about this site and all we learn here is that we can hopefully learn new ways of doing things but still appreciate the ways we do, do things because of our personalities and attitudes.
I was pretty sure that's what you were saying I just wanted to make sure myself lol

I've needed much time alone and I've now come to value it to the point where I am capable of being completely alone and independent and can live without relationships. I seem to be set in my ways now so much the idea of sharing my space and time with someone is quite undesirable and kind of frightens me. Mind you I've had 2 live in boyfriends and female and male roommates and I always was better off alone. My first place away from home was with a couple of females I new from school and eventually I was booted out for being too independent and not conforming to stupid rules (one was made after/because I spent the night at this guy's place in our class that one of the roommates liked. she was at the party, she didn't have to leave early...they arbitrarily decided if we (I) were going to be staying somewhere past I think it was 10pm that we don't bother coming home, convenient timing and I stayed overnight anyway so it wasn't about coming in late). That's ok, they were pigs and I was tired of cleaning up after them lol. Nightmarish living as a teen at home and school will do it too probably. Apparently I'm stuck in that mode, yep being alone is good lol.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think being alone allows you to determine what you like and are comfortable with. We're not really meant to live completely alone, but sometimes time away helps us avoid some turmoil or proximity issues.

I'm living more as an INFP, than an ENFP lately, but over time feel like I've disconnected from part of my nature and that's not something I'm comfortable with. I'm alone a lot in my personal life. I can't commit to anything. The obstacles I need to surmount are in my own head.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I think being alone allows you to determine what you like and are comfortable with. We're not really meant to live completely alone, but sometimes time away helps us avoid some turmoil or proximity issues.
That and realize it isn't so bad to be alone either and you can survive that way just fine.

I'm living more as an INFP, than an ENFP lately, but over time feel like I've disconnected from part of my nature and that's not something I'm comfortable with. I'm alone a lot in my personal life. I can't commit to anything. The obstacles I need to surmount are in my own head.
I go between I and E pretty much depending where I am, if there's other people around the E comes out big time. So much so that I overexert myself and end up burned out afterwards lol. I can't commit to anything either don't feel bad about it, I think it has a lot to do with self-confidence, at least for me. Someone told me recently that obstacles are what make us stronger. It may be easier for people on the outside to see but I have a hard time myself seeing everything lol.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, Revy2Hand!

I agree with you; obstacles will make us stronger if we tackle them and at least try to surmount them. :')

Its interesting what you said about being non conforming and how that got you booted out. I think I always did conform to others expectations but now I don't always, people aren't happy with me. It's not that I won't, it's just that I have to think it through and sometimes say no, instead of automatically doing what is asked of me. I'm in midlife so I'm a late bloomer but I like that.

On a side note, I think as a seven I try to avoid conflict, and go off looking for fun distractions, but the avoidance of conflict can lead to more conflict. Not sure how to find the happy medium yet.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Hey Lilsnowy :happy:

That's interesting, I noticed that we are both 7w6s :happy: are you counter-phobic or phobic? I have 9 in my tritype so I also try to avoid conflict, that is when I'm not bored and want to get in a good argument/discussion. I haven't figured it out either. lol I'm in my 30s and I'm definitely a late bloomer and I'm having fun being old enough to fully appreciate it. I used to conform too now I think I got the opposite way especially when people put expectations I don't want on me. Too bad if they aren't happy, it only matters that you are, at least that's what I've experienced. If you compromise too much you lose yourself. I'm thinking you have 9 in your tritype too right? I seem to be better at guessing people's ennearams and terrible at MBTI lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts