Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was on my way to visit my former roommate for the Halloween weekend, I apparently pulled out in front of a truck, or so I've been told, because I can't remember it. The truck slammed into my passenger side. My car has been totaled. Had the truck hit my driver's side in the same manner, I would be dead now.

A helicopter picked me up and flew me to a hospital in another city. This is hard to explain to those who don't live where I do, but most "serious" injuries are dealt with in this manner. I'm not in a big city. There is a hospital where I am, but it's not a "specialty" hospital, if that makes sense.

I was told that I made some comment on the helicopter expressing my concern that they were going to give me a lobotomy. I do not remember this. I think I have probably watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too many times.

Basically, I remember packing for the weekend and then waking up in a hospital room with my uncle sitting beside the bed. Everything between there is blank. I have some cuts and bruises on me. I am sore, and I was perscribed pain killers, but I'm going to be ok. I was released from the hospital around 4pm this afternoon. It is now 4AM. I have slept throughout most of the night.

Let me recover some before I get an updated picture taken, OK? I look deformed right now. lol

It's good to be alive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
glad to hear you're okay :happy:

·
Registered
759 Posts
That sucks, I went through the same thing a few years back and had a broken arm (still got a massive scar and plate in my arm) but luckily nothing major happened to me other than a fear of driving.

Good to hear that you're ok.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
While I was on my way to visit my former roommate for the Halloween weekend, I apparently pulled out in front of a truck, or so I've been told, because I can't remember it. The truck slammed into my passenger side. My car has been totaled. Had the truck hit my driver's side in the same manner, I would be dead now.

A helicopter picked me up and flew me to a hospital in another city. This is hard to explain to those who don't live where I do, but most "serious" injuries are dealt with in this manner. I'm not in a big city. There is a hospital where I am, but it's not a "specialty" hospital, if that makes sense.

I was told that I made some comment on the helicopter expressing my concern that they were going to give me a lobotomy. I do not remember this. I think I have probably watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest too many times.

Basically, I remember packing for the weekend and then waking up in a hospital room with my uncle sitting beside the bed. Everything between there is blank. I have some cuts and bruises on me. I am sore, and I was perscribed pain killers, but I'm going to be ok. I was released from the hospital around 4pm this afternoon. It is now 4AM. I have slept throughout most of the night.

Let me recover some before I get an updated picture taken, OK? I look deformed right now. lol

It's good to be alive.
When I read the thread title I imagined it was a fender bender. Imagine my surprise to read what you went through. How are you feeling? I've been in a few accidents, but never had any damage to myself. Hope you recover quickly.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Hey, so very happy to hear you are going to be fine. Remeber, if you want to play with trucks, buy the little ones at the store! Sorry that you have gone through this experience. Take care of yourself. OK!

PS A good sign...you still have your sense of humor!:wink:

Reactions: Daveman

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think that's a legitimate excuse to not update your picture for a while. :laughing:

I'm glad you're okay. Car accidents can be quite scary. I've never been in one as severe as yours, but I can only imagine what it must have been like.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad that you're alive and OK, Dave! When such things happen we realize how fragile life can be... If you were a cat, I'd say you've still got 8 lives :happy:

P.S. It may take some time before you realize how close to disaster you actually were, so don't be alarmed if you get some kind of postponed reaction (once I was literally two footsteps from being smashed by a car that ended up on the walkway, and it took a couple of days before I realized how close I had been to the final curtain fall).

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I read the thread title I imagined it was a fender bender. Imagine my surprise to read what you went through. How are you feeling? I've been in a few accidents, but never had any damage to myself. Hope you recover quickly.
I'm doing ok. Thanks.

I'm still a little sore, but I went to the movies today so I could get out for a little while. I saw Hereafter. The main female character had a near death experience like mine, but I don't remember seeing any spooky images of dead people like her.

The movie was decent. I'm a Clint Eastwood fan, but this was not his best. Neither was Invictus for that matter.

Oh well, I guess my scare was just in time for Halloween. hmm.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Since nobody else has asked... did you meet any pretty nurses..? :blushed:

It would be the most hilarious INFJ stunt to get involved in a car crash just to possibly meet a sweet nurse... Well, we may be shy, but we can be very ingenious - sure it wasn't your subconsciousness that was steering the wheel..? :crazy:

No seriously; it's great that you're still in one piece!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sorry to hear what happen Daveman. i understand the flying by helicopter to a bigger city. i have lived in a place that did that too. there was a hospital but it cannot handle serious cases. If too serious they stabilize you to get to be able to be flown by helicopter to the bigger hospital.

amount of humour in this thread... i feel bad that i laugh in such a serious thread but it makes this easier to get through

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since nobody else has asked... did you meet any pretty nurses..? :blushed:

It would be the most hilarious INFJ stunt to get involved in a car crash just to possibly meet a sweet nurse... Well, we may be shy, but we can be very ingenious - sure it wasn't your subconsciousness that was steering the wheel..? :crazy:

No seriously; it's great that you're still in one piece!
You know, now that you mention it, I did meet some pretty nurses. Was I truly this desperate that my subconscious would devise such a plan? Hmm...interesting psychological theory.

I was naked from the waist down, so I guess I left little to the imagination for some of them, but I can't remember who all saw my manhood. Shucks!

I "practice" when I'm around attractive, young women. I look them in the eye and joke around with them. This is something that I didn't do when I was younger.

I remember the nurse who was giving me shots and stuff.

I said to her, " I'm going to remember you as the torcher lady."

She giggled, "Nobody's ever called me that before." :laughing:

sorry to hear what happen Daveman. i understand the flying by helicopter to a bigger city. i have lived in a place that did that too. there was a hospital but it cannot handle serious cases. If too serious they stabilize you to get to be able to be flown by helicopter to the bigger hospital.

amount of humour in this thread... i feel bad that i laugh in such a serious thread but it makes this easier to get through
No, it's ok, go ahead and laugh. I would have wanted it that way.

Wait a minute...I'm not dead yet...oh well, go ahead anyway. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts