Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking one of my courses online this semester. I don't know if any of you have done this, but one requirement of the class is to respond to posts in a thread so many times a week. So anyhow, I was making a comparison to how society treats people according to one's dress. I got off track and said that I do not like when people in customer service treat my money, or my spending it, as petty. Just because your day sucks don't take it out on me, why am I victimized when I am just trying to support a business, ect.

One woman in my class responded to my statement with a light post. She took my view as bitterness (understandable), but then added "I will pray for you."

That pissed me off and I wondered why. I realized that I don't like the implications that often accompany the statement 'I will pray for you.' It seems like a condescending write-off based on assumptions. How are you supposed to digest the statement when someone tells you that they will pray for you? Should I be happy they care about me? Sad for my current state of being? Mad at someone for looking down on my position?

·
Registered
249 Posts
"I will pray for you" is the most annoying statement next to "because I said so".

It betrays for one thing narrow-mindedness when used as an insult, lack of the ability to look at other people's viewpoints, and the arrogance of a snob.

It shows that one thinks he/she is better than you, and that pisses me off.

I know how you feel, because I get the same statements at church, in which this is used in response to my statements of atheism and my unusual POVs of society.

Not even bothering to argue against me, just a simple "I will pray for you". Any wonder why I don't like Christians? :sad:

EDIT: There are some extremely intelligent Christians I have met online though. We have agreed to disagree.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am taking one of my courses online this semester. I don't know if any of you have done this, but one requirement of the class is to respond to posts in a thread so many times a week. So anyhow, I was making a comparison to how society treats people according to one's dress. I got off track and said that I do not like when people in customer service treat my money, or my spending it, as petty. Just because your day sucks don't take it out on me, why am I victimized when I am just trying to support a business, ect.

One woman in my class responded to my statement with a light post. She took my view as bitterness (understandable), but then added "I will pray for you."

That pissed me off and I wondered why. I realized that I don't like the implications that often accompany the statement 'I will pray for you.' It seems like a condescending write-off based on assumptions. How are you supposed to digest the statement when someone tells you that they will pray for you? Should I be happy they care about me? Sad for my current state of being? Mad at someone for looking down on my position?
Means they have this pure, divine, ultimate and absolute connection to God and the Secret of Existence, while you don't - you are ignorant, blind, foolish, etc. But it's OK, they will ask Him to forgive you, as a personal favor to them.

WHEW.

Lucky for you some people got connections, huh!?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
"I will pray for you" is a statement that is often used to make unhelpful and lazy people feel better about doing nothing.

It can also be used as passive aggressive insult.

It's also pushy, arrogant, and near sided as F***k to assume I want them to "pray for me". I never say something like "I hope some day you gain enough knowledge to get your head out of your ass." And I don't say that because I don't assume that all people think like me. Ugh.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts

That pissed me off and I wondered why. I realized that I don't like the implications that often accompany the statement 'I will pray for you.' It seems like a condescending write-off based on assumptions.
She took the moral high ground and basically implied that the views she holds are more moral than your opinion, thus invalidating it to her manner.

In addition it is presumptuous, as the underlying assumption here is that you should care about these prayers and what backs them back - her god. And if you don't believe in her god it is as if she doesn't even allow that view point, as if she excluded it from her reality.

How are you supposed to digest the statement when someone tells you that they will pray for you? Should I be happy they care about me? Sad for my current state of being? Mad at someone for looking down on my position?
Depends on the situation. Best reply would be some witty or sarcastic comeback or remark. Humor usually diffuses hostility, puts the other person in their place and is funny to the bystanders. However if you don't want to upset the person then it is best to just simply ignore it.

Personally, the troll in me would be rather tempted to tell her something like "why thank you, I'll order for some goat sacrifices at my temple in your honor this tuesday" or put my rather small knowledge of satanism and satanist practices into use here and then watch the expression on her face change. But with audience around or if you care for this woman's attitude towards you these are obviously not the best things to say.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"I'll read a book for you."

"I'll burn a witch for you."

"I'll go get some beautiful flowers and offer them to poor people dying of the plague before going to my daily volunteering in a soup kitchen for blind war orphans for you."

Vel's ideas are very good too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll just take it that it's the thought that counts. Or at least it really does count at the church I attended. When they say they will pray for you there, they aren't kidding. They'd do it on the spot, and considering they advocated praying for an hour everyday, yes, I think they actually prayed for everyone they said that they would pray for, even at home, for the next few weeks or months or even years. @[email protected]

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'll just take it that it's the thought that counts. Or at least it really does count at the church I attended. When they say they will pray for you there, they aren't kidding. They'd do it on the spot, and considering they advocated praying for an hour everyday, yes, I think they actually prayed for everyone they said that they would pray for, even at home, for the next few weeks or months or even years. @[email protected]
Just because they actually pray for you, doesn't change that fact that "I will pray for you" is an incredibly arrogant, condescending phrase.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Assuming they actually mean it in that way. Some people say this without drilling all the way into the meaning that we have deciphered for themselves. It's like how "God bless you" is considered to be a statement of encouragement or something of that sort. You just don't really think when you use it.

From what I could gather from the pastor at that church, he appears to subscribe to the perception that whatever divine entity one subscribe to is not relevant when they wish to pray for someone, and when they ask to pray for people not of the faith, they wish to impress it is their way of blessing you, just like how they would not be unwilling to accept prayers from Muslims or Buddhists or Taoists or what have you.

Actually I remember they used to always ask, "Can I pray for you?" rather than outright stating "I will pray for you" unless you are a close acquaintance.

Reactions: Oryx and nothingnew
1 - 14 of 14 Posts