Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when someone gives you a thank on PerC and you're thinking "oh yay! Someone actually loves and appreciates me" and you're so happy that you want to thank them for thanking you?

I also feel that way about Facebook likes and when people actually pay attention to me irl :laughing:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Haha, I know right! I've just let it be that my 'thanks' wear many hats, sometimes it's 'thanks!', sometimes 'sweet story bro', sometimes 'Oh woah same!', sometimes 'I agree with this completely and have nothing to add', sometimes 'hahaha' and sometimes 'good looking out on that impending bear sneak attack'.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm the same way!! :laughing:

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... yeah, I’m an attention whore.

... sometimes it’s disappointing when you write something you thought about and something you believe in and it goes unnoticed because it’s not popular or requires too much thinking.

I don’t like Facebook.

In spite of being an extrovert and an attention whore, I’m also a very private person. I have no problem speaking of my life and sharing my story with others so long as I know it will be respected and that it will offer value. I have no need for the voyeur/exhibitionist game. Plus likes in combination of a constant, limited audience on Facebook creates a single psychological entity. Identities converge. All thought, all values, all fashion, tastes and political opinion becomes one.

... maybe it’s Fi and being enneagram 4 [although, someone made a valid argument for 9, because I have felt a lot of contempt and anger for some time] I cannot accept a position that expects me to forfeit my sense of identity. I’m curious to know if Facebook somehow manages to function as a Skinner box. PerC is different because it is an open forum.

... nonetheless I love feeling appreciated for who I am. I am self-conscious and very uncomfortable many things, especially the negative emotions I often feel. When I studied music I came to realize I want people to like/accept me for who I am and not how well I wiggle my fingers. But yeah, superficial praise wears thin quickly.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

... sometimes it’s disappointing when you write something you thought about and something you believe in and it goes unnoticed because it’s not popular or requires too much thinking.

I don’t like Facebook.

In spite of being an extrovert and an attention whore, I’m also a very private person. I have no problem speaking of my life and sharing my story with others so long as I know it will be respected and that it will offer value. I have no need for the voyeur/exhibitionist game. Plus likes in combination of a constant, limited audience on Facebook creates a single psychological entity. Identities converge. All thought, all values, all fashion, tastes and political opinion becomes one.

... maybe it’s Fi and being enneagram 4 [although, someone made a valid argument for 9, because I have felt a lot of contempt and anger for some time] I cannot accept a position that expects me to forfeit my sense of identity. I’m curious to know if Facebook somehow manages to function as a Skinner box. PerC is different because it is an open forum.

... nonetheless I love feeling appreciated for who I am. I am self-conscious and very uncomfortable many things, especially the negative emotions I often feel. When I studied music I came to realize I want people to like/accept me for who I am and not how well I wiggle my fingers. But yeah, superficial praise wears thin quickly.
The second one use to frequently drive me crazy, and at times it still does.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don’t like Facebook.

The second one use to frequently drive me crazy, and at times it still does.
I COMPLETELY agree with that sentiment!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
THIS.

Or it makes them uncomfortable, because it is a truth they do not wish to acknowledge.

I struggle with the desire to "share" because of this -- I know that many of the things I will share, will get no response, thus all the time, effort, and intensity of making those thoughts readable has been wasted, because it failed to ignite the conversations I wanted to have.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
THIS.

Or it makes them uncomfortable, because it is a truth they do not wish to acknowledge.
... also very true. But isn't this the point? To disrupt? Do it! :kitteh:

I struggle with the desire to "share" because of this -- I know that many of the things I will share, will get no response, thus all the time, effort, and intensity of making those thoughts readable has been wasted, because it failed to ignite the conversations I wanted to have.
... share it anyway. There are people who will bow their heads, carry their resentment, their shame or their anger in silence. Hoping everything will go away and everyone will be happy. There's a guy on the enneagram forum who tells everyone they are 9. He does have a point. He's also lazy because there's no way in hell I'm a 9. Moot point. The truth is most people are drowning in lethargy. Whether this lethargy stems from laziness, from fear or heartbreak it's there. There will come a time when reality will become necessary to accept and people might hate you from pointing it out.

Think of it as an emotion cycle: Denial, grief, shame, anger, ect. in whatever order, leading towards acceptance, action and freedom/inner peace.

Reactions: zanderp

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Well, it certainly is you're me. :D

The truth is most people are drowning in lethargy. Whether this lethargy stems from laziness, from fear or heartbreak it's there.
I agree. I'll take it a step further and say people can be intellectually lazy. It takes effort to think creatively, to consider the truth no one wants to discuss, or to face the facts. They let their brains atrophy. Sad thing is, it's their CHOICE.

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
Could lead to a thank-ception or a thank train, where someone is thanking the fact they thanked you for thanking them for thanking you for thanking them for thanking you for thanking them for thanking you.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

... share it anyway. There are people who will bow their heads, carry their resentment, their shame or their anger in silence. Hoping everything will go away and everyone will be happy. There's a guy on the enneagram forum who tells everyone they are 9. He does have a point. He's also lazy because there's no way in hell I'm a 9. Moot point. The truth is most people are drowning in lethargy. Whether this lethargy stems from laziness, from fear or heartbreak it's there. There will come a time when reality will become necessary to accept and people might hate you from pointing it out.

Think of it as an emotion cycle: Denial, grief, shame, anger, ect. in whatever order, leading towards acceptance, action and freedom/inner peace.
Haha, as per our discussions, I have to react to that guy with WHAT IN THE ASSSSSSSSSS (that was ass btw), the only way 9 would apply to you in a big way, is if you were counting to 10 and stopped at 9, in all other cases, no, just no. I will agree with what Spastic Origami is saying here as well, I'm often crippled by inaction and doing things like this or experiencing these sorts of disruptions have been crucial in getting me moving... as much as they hurt at times. Gotta be shown and hit low enough to realise things need to change.

With you're example at the end, problem is people go through that first phase and automatically think they've hit the next (when say in reality they're still super angry).

Anyways I don't mean to turn another thread into one of our tennis games, haha, I just often can't help respond to your ideas.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... sometimes I like to envision I'm taking one of these straight to someone's brain stem, @angelcat .

... it saddens me to how many people I were said to be promising in school [both high school and university] who have no natural curiosity, who never ask questions or have an individual opinion on something, who buy pre-packaged culture [be it punk, goth, gangsta, etc], who would rather take their purchased image to a pub and get smashed and stoned and speak stupid on the weekend, who would dine on KFC and shot Crisco and Coke straight into their pancreas instead of talking to someone, going for a walk, and putting down whatever dogma they happen to subscribe to. It doesn't matter if your leader is L. Ron Hubbard, Ann Coulter, Justin Trudeau [he is a cult figure to some in my social circle.] or the Pope and Ayatollah. Just think for yourself. [/RANT]

... people let their brains, their bodies and their passion atrophy, and that bothers me. There are times we all make that choice. Your right, it IS a choice. There are also times when we laid flat on our backs and paralysed too. Sometimes it's something stupid and inconsequential that does it too. [quick aside, what's your avatar? The woman is remarkably gorgeous.]

This song, these lyrics. Of course there's an erotic/seductive undertone. It's Depeche Mode. Plus, I absolutely LOVE Dave's energy. [Plus, if I were a frontman, I'd model myself after him and Jim Morrison. Actual Jim is why I started reading a lot of the French Poets. Minus their addictions, of course.]

I'll catch your response later @JMurph, here or the other thread. Gotta make a quick trip out.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
@JMurph

... well you know, my enneagram goes up to 11. This time, a different Spinal Tap. Zapping the reticular activating system with a defibrillator is another. As is the movie. What’s funny [or pathetic] is that I wanted to his rock bottom. I wanted to feel the self destruction. I wanted to lose everything and go off like a nuclear bomb so that just annihilate everything and build from nothing, with nothing. I ate and drank toxic waste and loved/hated it. I pushed everyone away [somehow, I was open to an INTJ guitarist I work with. Somehow I trusted him because he respected my choice.] I should have embraced the hurt and sadness and blasted away at the shame, the anxiety caused by the judgment of others instead. If you’re going to get mad and zap anything, zap that. And zap everything.

Anyway, I’m not some gun slinging cowboy. Here read this, I don’t feel like writing something I’ve written recently. But there is a difference between malevolent and benevolent violence. [dare I say, I’m to lazy. Lol.] Actually when I do benevolent violence I feel there is no anger. The anger subsides. [meaning, freely speaking my mind, standing for what I’m about and believe in, deep realistic thinking, etc. Not being stupid or holding it in or using pointless brute force on others/yourself.] Believe it or not, that’s when the anger subsides. Anger is when I feel trapped, censored or in an emotional prison like shame, poor self esteem [also suffered a lot from this, maybe I still do to certain extent. There is core confidence that varies from situation to situation]. And now we’re talking here and derailing this thread. Lol.

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/17927-you-know-youre-enfp-when-357.html

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/17927-you-know-youre-enfp-when-358.html

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
@JMurph

... well you know, my enneagram goes up to 11. This time, a different Spinal Tap. Zapping the reticular activating system with a defibrillator is another. As is the movie. What’s funny [or pathetic] is that I wanted to his rock bottom. I wanted to feel the self destruction. I wanted to lose everything and go off like a nuclear bomb so that just annihilate everything and build from nothing, with nothing. I ate and drank toxic waste and loved/hated it. I pushed everyone away [somehow, I was open to an INTJ guitarist I work with. Somehow I trusted him because he respected my choice.] I should have embraced the hurt and sadness and blasted away at the shame, the anxiety caused by the judgment of others instead. If you’re going to get mad and zap anything, zap that. And zap everything.

Anyway, I’m not some gun slinging cowboy. Here read this, I don’t feel like writing something I’ve written recently. But there is a difference between malevolent and benevolent violence. [dare I say, I’m to lazy. Lol.] Actually when I do benevolent violence I feel there is no anger. The anger subsides. [meaning, freely speaking my mind, standing for what I’m about and believe in, deep realistic thinking, etc. Not being stupid or holding it in or using pointless brute force on others/yourself.] Believe it or not, that’s when the anger subsides. Anger is when I feel trapped, censored or in an emotional prison like shame, poor self esteem [also suffered a lot from this, maybe I still do to certain extent. There is core confidence that varies from situation to situation]. And now we’re talking here and derailing this thread. Lol.

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/17927-you-know-youre-enfp-when-357.html

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/17927-you-know-youre-enfp-when-358.html
Ok now I'm picturing myself going around with a tazzer like 'zap, zap, zap', zapping everything that annoys me, like a water bottle is to birds. I think it's quite common for people in those situations to want to hit rock bottom, maybe because it validates the everything they feel in terms of internal 'issues' (which can bring a sense of calm again), maybe because they know it has a good chance of working, maybe because of other reasons (way to be lazy and still cover your tracks Ne). Part of that comes with people not facing the hurt and sadness (or whatever happens to be relevant) and I've been there for sure, it's way easier to employ defence mechanisms and pave over. In order to get past these things, you gotta get directly made towards them and accept them. Otherwise it's like ok this person needs a heart transplant but we're gonna go ahead and enter through the kneecap and take out the liver, the precious precious liver.. 'what about the heart, you know, the core of the problem?'... 'there's no time for that!' and later the patient dies of a heart attack *end scene*.

I read those other posts and I never thought of anger stretching so far in that way (like more with benevolence), it's an interesting point but the other form and feeling trapped is so consistent with the idea of forcing the change straight up. Maybe, I'll just call it B-anger, sounds like banger but I'm too lazy to care about that now and the fact that typing this is way longer than just using the word, shhhh. Maybe that form is like hitting a high enough threshold for action for basic things you have to do, or it's a form that's more pure as you're standing up for something you believe in (so that's the base as opposed to something more painful). While the other type crosses over when things are more serious.

I'll quickly thank your post so that appears we're still on topic *taps nose on thrice occasions consecutively*. Totally up to you if you want to respond and risk another train (aka thread) needing a denzel style rescue, I'll understand if not, haha.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... better than accidentally transplanting a potato, @JMurph . Oh my God! They killed Ken ... Murphy. You bastards! Distracted as always. Anyway, this pic is awesome:

55af8dbd1cb6efd02f7c0d2f38ee38c7.jpg

... and sometimes the silence is because you lack the strength or the courage. Many times the confrontation is not important. There are things that matter more than individual pride, or victory, etc.I love, love and once again love this drawing. If I can't get the pic of myself doing the karate kid pose on a snow-filled beach off my dad's camera this is my next avatar. The text is small if you shrink it to avatar size.

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
... it saddens me to how many people I were said to be promising in school [both high school and university] who have no natural curiosity, who never ask questions or have an individual opinion on something, who buy pre-packaged culture [be it punk, goth, gangsta, etc], who would rather take their purchased image to a pub and get smashed and stoned and speak stupid on the weekend, who would dine on KFC and shot Crisco and Coke straight into their pancreas instead of talking to someone, going for a walk, and putting down whatever dogma they happen to subscribe to. It doesn't matter if your leader is L. Ron Hubbard, Ann Coulter, Justin Trudeau [he is a cult figure to some in my social circle.] or the Pope and Ayatollah. Just think for yourself. [/RANT]

... people let their brains, their bodies and their passion atrophy, and that bothers me. There are times we all make that choice. Your right, it IS a choice. There are also times when we laid flat on our backs and paralysed too. Sometimes it's something stupid and inconsequential that does it too.

What really frustrates me is that a lot of people have the potential to be intelligent, and maybe even ARE intellectual in some way -- but there's always something shut away in a dark corner of their mind with Do Not Go There on it. It can be as simple as refusing to listen to a differing opinion on a minor topic, or as major as delusion about their loved ones.

I don't preach too often against intellectual laziness because it's something I indulge in from time to time. People ask me why I don't like Shakespeare. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I do not feel thus inclined to spend the time and mental energy required to "translate" Shakespeare for my own enjoyment. It's a form of intellectual laziness on my part. :p

[quick aside, what's your avatar? The woman is remarkably gorgeous.]
Current? Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, with the Eleventh Doctor Who. And yeah, she is.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
What really frustrates me is that a lot of people have the potential to be intelligent, and maybe even ARE intellectual in some way -- but there's always something shut away in a dark corner of their mind with Do Not Go There on it. It can be as simple as refusing to listen to a differing opinion on a minor topic, or as major as delusion about their loved ones.

I don't preach too often against intellectual laziness because it's something I indulge in from time to time. People ask me why I don't like Shakespeare. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I do not feel thus inclined to spend the time and mental energy required to "translate" Shakespeare for my own enjoyment. It's a form of intellectual laziness on my part. :p
... there’s more to literature than William Shakespeare, it just happens to be the case that I’m interested in other things at this moment and forcing myself to read Grand-mastah Shake when my mind is preoccupied with other things would be absolute torture. I don’t understand why certain artists are given reverential status and others who write equally well but of different subject matter are cast by the wayside.

I don’t know. Intellectualism feels like people attempting to sound wise and intelligent by parroting the opinions of others. I don’t think it’s necessary to abide by the literary canon. Once you learn to silence thoughts of others and to listen to your own, you will instinctively seek out the knowledge you need. It may not always be literature. It could be a film, a comic or even a random something you overheard at a lunch counter. Often intellectualism often comes loaded with a political orientation and a moral indoctrination that I’m not always ready to accept.

Off topic. Again. But I’m curious. Given that Homeric poetry was improvised in a half-spoken and half-sung voice to a sparse rhythmic musical accompaniment, that the text itself was rhythmic, could you say the Iliad was the first rap album? That Homer and his crew were the OGs, original Greeks, sagging their togas in the Peloponnesian hood?

Quiz: Poetry Line or Rap Lyric?

... we do live in a culture that’s scared to say anything bold. America does have a culture of frivolous lawsuits, a private police force and prison industry. Canada is also questionable in many respects. People no longer speak their mind because they have families to support and they choose self censorship. It’s understandable that many people just want to get through the day. Sadly these people choose palliative measures that won’t make the problems go away. At least until something comes apart of the seams.

I'm already pushing the notion of freedom of speech/expression. Human rights over group/cultural/religious/corporate/governmental rights. Yeah ... I got distracted and it's super late and I want to sleep.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts