Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an introvert. And I love it, don't get me wrong! But how can I exercise my "E"? Haha.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Isn't that the INFP secondary function? I am possibly also just remembering wrong.
Yeah, but you don't use it the way an ENFP would. Otherwise, you'd be extroverted :mellow:
I think those descriptions, especially the ones on the first two links, describe it mostly as it would appear if it was in the dominant spot of someone's type.

But if you really want to get technical, it's just an attitude. The attitude shows up differently in INFPs than it does in ENFPs. I don't really think you can make yourself more extroverted. You're either extroverted, or you're not. Ne-Fi is a lot different than Fi-Ne even though some people insist that the E/I of a person's type is the least important part...

·
Banned
166 Posts
If you really want to be ENFP, come with me. We will have a lot of fun...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
But how can I exercise my "E"?
I say just love people. All people. You'll give your Ne a workout imagining all the possible ways you can relate to each individual, and in the process you might "tone down" your values so that they're more inclusive of others. If you're a vegan, make sure you're not putting any distance between yourself and the meat-eating majority. If you're an artist, make sure you're seeing the inherent art in the ways we all interact.

Easier said than done?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
You'll give your Ne a workout imagining all the possible ways you can relate to each individual
Is that how Ne works in ENFPs? I've been trying to figure out some of the differences between Ne-Fi and Ne-Ti since I realized I was an ENTP and not an ENFP.

How does your Ne work with your Fi?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Is that how Ne works in ENFPs? I've been trying to figure out some of the differences between Ne-Fi and Ne-Ti since I realized I was an ENTP and not an ENFP.

Ok, let's see what I can do.

My Fi sets my values---not randomly, mind you, but tuned to who I am and what my experiences have been. Part of who I am is my Ne. I've always been really good at seeing all sides of an argument, all possible ends to a situation, etc.... I probably realized this was one of my defining characteristics from a young age, since my SJ dad would joke how I always "made simple things complicated". So, with that in the back of my mind, I kind of went through my adolescence looking for a place for me and my Ne, and I realized that I couldn't find anyone I couldn't empathize with. I was the guy jumping between all the groups---the neutral confident, the school photographer. It became almost impossible not to find a connection to a person. My Fi must've taken note that I could do this, and gave me the OK to all-out value compassion (though I think my Ti gets a say in these decisions too, just not the veto). So that's one way my Ne shaped my Fi.

In other cases my Fi seemed to shape the sort of research-tangents my Ne went on. I studied literature in college, and, like any lit major, I wanted to know what type of literature was "me". After lots of research and a wide course selection, I narrowed it down to postmodern literature, because the whole idea behind that is to bring readers to terms with the endless amounts of perspectives and interpretations possible in art. And, in a way, that pushed me to fall in love with older books because they offered even more equally-valid perspectives (which my Ne brought to my attention) and my Fi wanted to empathize with them.

Then, in a nutshell, giving historical literature a chance led to giving world history a chance, which led to my current love affair with Indian history and philosophy, which, in the end, backs up my Fi because I find that the historical South Asian belief systems preach compassion in a way that is more conducive to my tendency to "make simple things complicated". *phew*

So, yeah, it's like my Ne goes out and does all this searching to confirm my Fi-values, but "the Ne approach" is like another Fi-value in itself. That is, my Fi-values are tuned in a way so that they're easily supported by my Ne. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Vaka

·
Banned
25 Posts
What?! INFPs are awesome! If someone told me, "Hey, you! I could make you an INFP this instant if you wanted!" I would tell them, "YES, please!"

I would much rather be an INFP than an ENFP. :)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts

well the relating part is Fi, but the observations and web of instant connections upon seeing someone in order to link it to parts of your life would be Ne..

this is difficult, because it's very possible for an ENFP to become much more like an INFP by using Fi a lot, however this is likely to lead to a rut because it leads to a build up of stress from not extroverting enough. surely the opposite would be true for INFPs?
i'm TRULY being an ENFP when being charming to strangers and entertaining groups- all the while my Ne is subconsciously vacuuming information to organise later, surely that would be too stressful for an introvert?
the observing people thing is fine, but it would still involve more judgement than perception.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts