Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love feedback for this. Either just my main type or my tritype will do (though I’m very curious on what my tritype could be). I’m possibly an ISTP (thought it’s up for a bit of a debate), if that’s any help. If you need any more information just let me know and I’ll expand.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
I look for my path; what I want to accomplish. Right now I’m at a standstill for there is not much I could do at this time. People tell me I do not have much drive, and sure it may be true, but I tell them I’m a sit and wait type of person.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
Something grand. I haven’t completely decided on what that will be yet, but once I do, I want to make it to the top (or as close as I can).

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I’d like to say I’d hope to avoid death, but that’s totally unpractical and silly. I suppose I’d hope to avoid becoming nothing. I don’t necessarily have to be famous or well known, but I would hope that I, myself, would feel contentment with who I become in the end. I have personal values that I sort of apply to myself, but I’m opportunistic and I’m able to bend the rules if I see fit. I’m not necessarily bound by rules or morals, I suppose.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
My three biggest fears tie together: cancer, death by a terminal illness, and death itself. Cancer is the worst thing that could happen to someone, even if it is curable (in my opinion). It’s a gamble at best. Terminal illnesses are even worse. I couldn’t even imagine how I’d feel if I knew death was coming and there is no escaping from it (even though it’s true otherwise…it’s just knowing that death is coming unnaturally, and coming soon, that makes it worse). Death is an unknown, terrifying thing, and I do not like the unknown and the permanent.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as intelligent, enigmatic, mysterious, and interesting. Above all I want to be seen as capable and strong.

I see myself as vulnerable, even if I recognize the strength in myself. I keep my vulnerability hidden, however. I see myself as having wannabe-intelligence, but I am working on being truly knowledgeable. I am interesting, even with my flaws, so that is why I do not suffer from low self esteem.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
Best: I feel at my best when I feel productive and I get things done. I like feeling busy (so that’s why I tend to not really mind tedious, detailed tasks), and I enjoy getting lost in my own little world. I feel at my best when I’m alone for most of the day (and possibly hanging out with a close friend for a portion of the day). I am also at my best at night; it’s when I’m the most productive.

Worst: I am at my worst when I can’t do what I want. I am also at my worst when I am out of my element, forced into a large group of people, and when I’m under a lot of stress. When I’m at my worst I tend to be hardly productive at all (as I do suffer from procrastination a lot of the time). Another thing to add is, when I’m at my worst I become overwhelmed with pessimistic thoughts, obsessed even.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I have a quick temper but it also fizzles out just as quickly as it comes. I’m not one to be angry for long. I tend to let things slide a lot, also. A lot of the time I keep my anger inside, only venting to very close friends, so people do not think I get angry as much as I actually do.

b) I despise embarrassment and shame, but to be honest, I don’t feel shame as often as I probably should. I don’t have the biggest guilty conscience (as I am not the most empathetic or sympathetic person out there) so shame is hard to come by. But when I do feel it I am consumed by it. It’s all I think about and it wont be resolved until I am forgiven for whatever it is I have done.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) I, unfortunately, let stress sit inside of me until it overflows and I have a break down. Half of the time I don’t realize I’m under that much stress until it’s too late. I tend to discard the possibility that I could be stress until it’s unavoidable. When I’m overstressed my work and my personality take a downfall. I become increasingly paranoid, fearful even, and I lash out.

b) I’m not a fan of sudden, unexpected change. I can adapt fairly quickly, but that doesn’t mean I enjoy it. Little changes keep things interesting though. Either way I tend to just let things happen as they come, even if it makes me a bit uncomfortable every now and then.

c) I’m conflict-avoidant by nature, but that doesn’t mean I run from everything. If I’m caught in conflict I will handle it (and usually finish it) without hesitation. People know what I can do, so they hardly mess with me (for example someone messed with every one of my friends except for me and let it slip it was because I scared her and looked like I could handle myself). So basically I don’t go looking for trouble, but I don’t cry to Mom when trouble finds me.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) Psh, authority. I have no use for it in my every day life. Sure, in a workspace I have to follow the hierarchy otherwise I wouldn’t have a job, but I don’t treat someone much differently just because they have power. Hypocritically, however, I like having power. I don’t like to flaunt it…I just like to have it, and I like to know that I have the authority to flaunt it.

b) The same description for authority applies for power as well.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
As a whole, there is little good in humanity. We may have good people in the world, yes, and I wont deny that, but I also wont deny the bad. I do not hate humanity I just don’t trust it. I would rather not get involved with humanity and would rather stand a part from society itself, even though I know it wouldn’t happen in a literal sense. I keep myself apart from society, not physically, but perhaps emotionally, although I know that is not the quite right word.

I find all life precious, even if I don’t like to bother with the conscious behind much of the life out there. My fear and disgust for death has taught me that life is beautiful, but short and sad (though there is much beauty in sadness).

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
My mother. It’s a bit of a private situation, but let’s say that she has messed up my ability to develop (and sustain) relationships of any kind. I only have a few friends because I tend to be very withdrawn (the reason why I have any friends at all is because they know that I like space and I don’t really keep in much contact, though that doesn’t mean I don’t care for them – that’s far from true - ). I tend to run from romantic relationships because I’m in a mindset that they will not last for long, and I also tend to feel too vulnerable when I’m in one.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
Trust means so much to me and I hold it to the highest degree. I trust only a few people in this world, and my trust is a slow process to gain. I am suspicious and a bit cautious by nature, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise. If I trust you it’s all or nothing, so I don’t hand it out lightly.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
a)Traits I like: Mediator- I’m able to produce an un bias opinion about situations very easily. People tend to come to be for advice because they know I’ll always speak the truth and tell them both sides of the situation.

Aggressiveness- Usually people tend to find aggression on the bad side of the scale, but not me. I like my aggressive nature. It’s used to get what I want if I choose to use it. It’s my motivator, as well.

Interesting/a mystery- I tend to give people different impressions at will. I like to give off an interesting/enigmatic/odd vibe. I choose what parts of me people see and I shape my image in any way I want. I find it amazing that I can get people entranced with my personality and say that I’m like a mystery to them.

High self confidence/self esteem- Speaks for itself, I suppose. I have a high self confidence, but it is realistic (same goes for my self esteem). I know what I can do and I also know what I can’t do (as well as my physical faults).

My inability to hold grudges- I am quick to simmer down from anger and I do not hold grudges (though does not mean I am quick to forgive, an I definitely don’t forget), and I tend to put the past behind me by focusing on the now.

Traits I don’t like: Paranoid/suspicious- I am suspicious of others and their motives, and I can get pretty paranoid. Doesn’t mean I can’t function because of it, or that it’s well known (little know about my paranoia) but it’s notably there to me.

Procrastination/lack of focus- I like to succeed, and I like to learn things as well as do them…but my lack of drive and focus on things I do not like to do causes me to well, be average at best. I hardly do the best I could be doing because I find it hard to care about menial things (like schoolwork and things along that line), so I’ve developed a bad case of procrastination.

Prone to stress and pessimistic thinking- I may be very adaptable, but stress eats at me. I have a bad habit of letting all the bad things (like stress and pessimistic thoughts) boil inside me until I break down.

My detachment to my emotions- When I am not on the more unhealthy side (meaning when I'm not swamped with stress) I keep myself distanced from most emotions.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Motivations of others. I find it surprising that a lot of people miss the core motivations. Someone doesn’t like to drive so they consider the person lazy. It only takes a few more seconds of thought and observation to realize that they are, in fact, scared of driving. It’s easier to observe than most people are willing to try. With that process of mind I tend to see people for who they really are. It’s hard for someone to lie easily to me because of my already suspicious nature, so my constant observing doesn’t help them much. I like to watch people, even if I don’t always like to be around them.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
If a stranger insults me I can tell you I’d be pretty down right confused. I find it hard to fathom why a complete stranger would go out of his or her way to insult someone they’ve never met. Of course I’d probably stand there with a confused look until they either walked away or until I got my wits back. I’d most likely shrug the person’s insult off and perhaps make a quick snipe (not for revenge or in spite, but just to make that person go away).

If I’m complimented I tend to blush, smile, and say thank you. I don’t know what it is, but being complimented by strangers embarrasses the hell out of me. Half of me bristles with pride and the other half doubts that they were telling the truth. I also tend to dwell on that compliment for the rest of the day (much different than how I handle insults).

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
a) I am thankful for the life I have, even if I do take it for granted from time to time. I may have trouble with depression and feeling like life is pointless, but deep down I know I love life and the chance to experience, learn, and strive.

b) What I wish I could have ties into what I’m thankful for. I wish I could never die (or at least control how long I live for, or I wish I had an elongated lifespan). Imagine all the things I could do if I lived for that long. Time wouldn’t be the boss of me. I could learn as much as I wanted, do all the things I wish I could have the time and resources to do. Honestly I think I would stay in college for a long, long time. Probably dabble in every single thing I could. I could do so much (even if it’s mostly for my own benefit). I could live without the impending feeling of knowing it’s all going to end.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
6w5 (not oriented around others), hides phobic side well with a level of self confidence and utilizes counter-phobic (CP) well. Most 6s don't communicate the Basic Drive of survival Timeless speaks of as well as he did.

I seen stuff similar to a 3 in there, but he has issues being quite as driven as them, and enjoys talking about himself in a rather transparent way, which I've found to not be present in 3s.

His overall personality reminds me of a more playful and less CP DJAdarandee.

Here are some good links to read up on types:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-6-f...e-six-loyal-skeptic-timeless-description.html
Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions
the enneagram ...info from the underground

·
Registered
528 Posts
oh boy, you're confusing. at first I was thinking 7, because there were so much about avoiding pain, with an 8 wing as you seem more ok with conflict.

Then I was thinking a 9, but you like to keep busy.

then I was thinking 4 because of the whole: like-to-be-mysterious/ your mom thing.

so I'm still confused... and I am still cosidering all alternatives. I'd read up on the tritypes. then I would see if there is any type that consistently appears in the tritypes you resonate the most with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Wake I have been stuck between 6w5 and 3w4 as of late (I've scrapped the thought of being 5w4 a while ago), and I really like your explanation for why you think I'm 6w5. I suppose your opposing evidence against 3w4 makes sense too, and I'll definitely read the links you've given me. Enneagram six is definitely a confusing, complex type, har har.

@Runa For around a year (...nearly a year ago, I believe) I considered myself enneagram seven (first 7w6, then 7w8), and I suppose I could see why you see seven in me. I do avoid pain, but the main differences from then to now is...I become fixated with it (even while I'm on a journey to avoid it). My obsession with death and cancer (my biggest fears) probably goes against, uh, seven tendencies (though I am not knowledgeable on how unhealthy sevens function).

Yeah I'm also going to scrap the idea of nine for me. If I'm not mistaken, nines tend to keep their interests in other people, rather than themselves? Kind of a way to keep inner peace? I dunno, I'm probably doing a horrible job describing it. I should probably re-read articles on them.

I'm to too fond of fours for me either (but I'd probably have to read more about them to give a yay or ney). I may be well intoned with emotions, but that's only because I get obsessed with my fears from time to time. I'm much more 'avoid emotions altogether' rather than being in tune with them, for the most part.

---

So far I'm leaning toward 6w5, but perhaps there's a three in my tritype somewhere? Any other suggestions/opinions would be lovely, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts