Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this make me more J or is it this exact thing that makes me an INTP?

If I ever get round to doing something.. it's NOT in a lazy or unfinished way... it's perfect. But I never produce anything perfect, because I can't be bothered. I just don't do anything.

Ok, the things I do do are lazy and unfinished.... but if I really care about something then it HAS to be perfection. It's just that I never get round to doing the things I really care about because I know it will take a huge amount of effort to perfect.

So yeh, I'm lazy and unorganised.... but if I, god forbid, try, then it's succinct and top notch.

Do you relate to this INTPs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I relate to this... a lot. So much in fact, that I have little more to say then:

Yeah...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I guess that if I actually managed to do lots of things that I usually pass up... then I'd realise that I can't do them all perfectly and that I'd have to do everything moderately anyway.
I guess that's the problem... setting the bar too high. But what's better? Producing little bits of awesome amongst a whole lot of crap or producing lots of moderate stuff and no awesome?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I don't know if things come out perfect when I try, but I can agree with this on everything but that. Things certainly turn out way, way better than expected.

Maybe try some Structured Procrastination and see if everything you do is suddenly great?

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Yeah, INTJs are less bothered with perfection. It's not the most practical goal. It has to work, and it has to get done. Although our standards for that are often pretty high, it's still not about perfection.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm just dreadful at planning, period.

Not just because I can't be bothered. I devise the perfect plan and usually come to grief within 5 minutes of starting because I've forgotten one thing....that is usually something really fundamental that I should have checked out before I started.

There was a random question on the profile page on blogspot that sums it up. (It's probably still there in the program) The question is "You are going to the moon! What did you forget to pack?" My answer: The oxygen mask.

Yeah, I feel that crap sometimes.:crazy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can plan well, I find execution difficult.

I've recently given up planning as I often get frustrated when I have taken the time to do so and something goes wrong.

I think I'm becoming more of a plan to fail type, I have more of a pessimistic personality anyway, so I am pleasantly surprised when things actually turn out.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When I have to do something good, I put a whole lot of effort into making it perfect. For example, I had to build a model bridge to test its strength, and I spent hours pouring over it, planning the perfect design and figuring out how to put it together in the strongest way. Then I spent hours following my plan, and it turned out really well. It used to annoy me a whole lot when things in the real world never turn out as good as the do in my head, and I almost decided to be a physicist instead of an engineer, because they don't have to worry about the real world, and margins of error ect. However, I've come to accept the fact that nothing will be as good in the real world as it is in my head, unless I don't plan it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I relate to that 100% and I do become a perfectionist at time when I want something done well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I relate to this. For instance when I have to write essays for Uni. Sometimes I realise that I don't need a great mark in order to acheive what I'm happy with for the overall module.

So instantly I think, great, I don't have to try as hard so I can get it done quicker because it can be crap.

This never happens though, as when I come to doing the essay I just can't write anything that's not as good as normal.

So I end up needing a lot more time than I thought I'd be alright with. Then I start heavily procrasinating and worrying.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Does this make me more J or is it this exact thing that makes me an INTP?

If I ever get round to doing something.. it's NOT in a lazy or unfinished way... it's perfect. But I never produce anything perfect, because I can't be bothered. I just don't do anything.

Ok, the things I do do are lazy and unfinished.... but if I really care about something then it HAS to be perfection. It's just that I never get round to doing the things I really care about because I know it will take a huge amount of effort to perfect.

So yeh, I'm lazy and unorganised.... but if I, god forbid, try, then it's succinct and top notch.

Do you relate to this INTPs?
YES! This is me exactly! I either do something perfectly or don't do it at all! I drive myself crazy! This perfectionism can easily transform into total sabotage! And the painful memories of self-inflicted mental trauma lead to a self-destructive kind of procrastination, one that makes it nearly impossible for me to get anything done!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I relate to this. For instance when I have to write essays for Uni. Sometimes I realise that I don't need a great mark in order to acheive what I'm happy with for the overall module.

So instantly I think, great, I don't have to try as hard so I can get it done quicker because it can be crap.

This never happens though, as when I come to doing the essay I just can't write anything that's not as good as normal.

So I end up needing a lot more time than I thought I'd be alright with. Then I start heavily procrasinating and worrying.
lol yeh, that is every essay I've ever done (or not done, as the case may be).

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I can plan, accomplish, and organize those goals that I deem important or necessary. If a task isn't urgent, isn't relevant to my interests at the time, or, most importantly, isn't holding my interest then I'll be lackadaisical at best. When I want to be organized, I can, but micromanagement of a task is just stressful to me.

Organized confusion FTW.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Have you read about Berens' interaction styles? intps' are said to have the 'behind the scenes' style

The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
intps', isfjs', isfps' and infps' can be perfectionists, because they typically focus on control over the outcome (the end product), rather than movement towards it (the process). You may end up being fixed on how you want it to end up (perfect).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts