Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tested ISFP on MBTI, but on Keirsey I tested ISFJ. To further complicate things I feel that I'm INFP for some reason or another. Anywho, any help would be greatly...and I do mean greatly appreciated.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 22 year old guy in a state of utter confusion and frustration until I decipher my type.

2. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I'm most definitely an introvert. It's not like I like being alone but I do feel exhausted after prolonged social interaction (after which I crawl to the safety of solitude and shortly there after wish I had someone to hangout with).

I am sensitive in some aspects. I am moved by people's struggles, music, a good article or poem. I like to help people who are in need but authenticity is often a prerequisite. But I struggle to sense what other people feel. Like in a social interaction I wont take into account your body language etc. If you say something I just believe it.

Also my fatal flaw...I have the most addiction prone personality. If I drink something I like I will drink it almost exclusively for a time. Im the same with music if I like a song I can go days listening to that single song on repeat. Once I grow tired of the current addiction I toss it aside and head to the next thing to catch me and when I look back I have a hard time even recongnizing why I liked whatever it was so much.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I'd like to be more transparent. I feel that I have lots of potential and so many talents and I really care about alot but no one will ever know because on the outside I'm kind of dry and reserved. I know alot of crap and have tons of valuable ideas and advice but I don't impose, I only advise those that seek my help or opinion.

Also I'd like to be better with people. In social situations if there are more than a few people around I feel awkward and self conscieous but heres where it gets weird...I actually love public speaking. I guess I dont mind being the center of attention if the communication is one way instead of having to deal with feedback which as I mentioned earlier I dont really process well.

I suck at taking criticism, especially on something I've written or made creatively. Sometimes I take tips on improvement as a personal attack.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Others see me as quiet sometimes antisocial from a distance. But once they get closer and initiate interaction (because I hardly will) that I am somewhat warm. (Because I can perform in social interactions adequately but hardly reveal my true depth.)

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

I life my life through a Judeo Christian lens. I value spirituality and family above all other things. I value a familial love and bond over career pursuits and what others may deem as success.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I have anxiety and fear when things change from constant to uncertain. Where others see endless possibility I see endless posibilities to screw up. (such a downer I know, but im optimistic in certainty)

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I do my best to go with the flow but if too stressed, I snap quickly in frustration and take charge bossing people around and Quarterbacking the situation per se.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I'm comfortable, I love to joke around and laugh. My jokes are usually a quick pun on words or a change in pronunciation, rate of speech, or tone of voice that I find funny in the particular situation.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I spend a lot of time alone. I feel as if I need it to stay sane. On the flip side I also grow restless if alone for too long. But if I'm with people, I'll try to be as social as possible. I'll make the most of a situation and talk to people properly. However, I find it very, very difficult if it's lots of people all at once. That stresses me out. But if other people are making the effort to talk to me, I'll do the same. I largely prefer in-depth conversations with one or two people. The only way I can do group situations is if I'm an instructor of some sort and I can talk and allow individual responses.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

Like I said I live in a Judeo Christian world. I believe in love and mercy. I think society will do what it pleases and I dont condemn. I can only control myself. As a whole I see people as infintely valuable but I rarely want to get dirty to dig up their hidden treasure.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I like implied order and restraint. I like to follow rules and I like others who follow them. But I have a real problem with authority being enforced and persons of authority. Its a strange relationship where for example I like that laws govern us but I dont like police. I think I can deal with authority that I deem is understanding to the human condition.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I feel safe in order and fear chaos and loss of control. Physically my room and stuff may seem chaotic to everyone else but I know where everything is so it's different. I do sometimes organize things if that is my current obsession, I have labeled, color coordinate, filed and ranked before.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

I fear dying before anyone realizes all that I really am.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I think I'd be perfectly fine if I had one person who got me and that I could direct my passions towards. I want to share love with a wife and family. And I want to be able to sustain us doing what I want. Not climbing a corporate ladder where I sacrifice my family in order to get promotions.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I'm energized by reading, writing, listening to music and conversing at depth. I'm drained by social interactions saturated in small talk, office politics, and conflict.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are?
I have an addictive obsessive personality and this happens to be the flavor of the month.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?
Not that I can think of, but it'd be quite nice and helpful for whoever is kind enough to type me to give examples of when and how I've used certain cognitive functions if they could!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm (...) in a state of utter confusion and frustration until I decipher my type.
I've been there, done that. From your questionnaire I can say that, since you are not that good with sensing what people feel -> this tells me Fi (introverted feeling, either dominant or auxiliary - If you're new to typing you may want to read more about this). Introverted feeling rules ISFJ out, because they are Fe oriented. Your questionnaire gives me a "N" vibe, there's a complexity in your thoughts that I get so, yeah. That addictive personality of yours can make you believe you're an xxxJ, but it's not just about that. It may be linked to stress or ... I don't know. I'll say xNFP and let the last part for you to decide. Hope it helped. Anyway, you know yourself better than anyone and INFP fits you, you're probably right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you response. I defintely found it helpful. I've eliminated the possibility of ISFP because my Se is non-existant as far as I can tell. I agree with your eliminiation of ISFJ beceause my Fe also is lacking as you've noted. I've narrowed it to ENFP or INFP.

Do you think there is a massive difference between a primary Fi with secondary Ne vs. primary Ne with secondary Fi?

How would I go about deciding which function is primary?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you think there is a massive difference between a primary Fi with secondary Ne vs. primary Ne with secondary Fi?
Yes, I think it is. Well, There's no easy way to do it until you read the "right thing" (the right article), then your intuition will probably tell you what that right thing is. The more you read, the more you understand. Anyway, I wanted to give you the sociotype's descriptions but for some reason I can't access the site now.

Introverted Feeling

Fi, or introverted Feeling, is dominant for IxFP, secondary for ExFP, tertiary for IxTJ and inferior for ExTJ. Unlike Fe, Fi leads you to draw ethics purely from an internal, subjective source and finds Fe's collective approach to morality shallow and fake. Since ethics are purely a personal ideal in Fi's view, all personal feelings are sacred and allowing any outside views to affect them is patently unethical. Fi treats ethics in the same way Ti treats logic, in that it's something that requires no external context to understand and that should not be influenced or changed by any outside forces.

The ability to express one's personal feelings and inner self freely and maintain a strong sense of personal uniqueness and individuality is of utmost importance to Fi. (It's also important to Ti, but for different reasons and in different contexts.) I have found that many Fi users dislike typology in general because they feel that "putting people into boxes" suppresses their sense of personal identity, and that people are too unique to be categorized so easily.

Fi people are typically very good at picking up emotional vibes in the tone of voice and word choice of others. They often know what you're feeling even better than you do because they're aware of the subtle effects that different emotional states have on our behaviors and can pick up cues about how you're feeling that you didn't even intend to give off. For this reason strong Fi users are profoundly empathetic and tend to understand and identify with basic human needs on a profound level. If you were to criticize someone's behavior from an Fi standpoint, it would be in the form of, "What you are doing is hurting my feelings/violating my ethics/preventing me from fulfilling my basic human needs." Strong Fi users often feel a certain connection to the beauty of nature, animals, and life itself, simply "knowing" deep inside themselves that life is sacred and all individuals possess inherent value.

A mature Fi user is extremely in tune with the emotional needs of others and very supportive of and responsive to them. An immature Fi user is overly preoccupied with his own emotional needs and will act passive aggressively toward people who don't bend over backwards to cater to how he feels. Note that both Fe and Fi users often feel a strong sense of moral obligation to their loved ones; the difference is simply the source of this obligation. If it comes from an external/objective cultural standard, it's probably Fe--if it comes from a personal sense of moral responsibility that deliberately blocks out external influence, it's probably Fi.

Fi doms are ethical perfectionists in the same way Ti doms are logical perfectionists. They seek a sense of internal balance and harmony with their surroundings that feels right in their own individual way. Note that introverted judgment (Ti/Fi) seeks depth and specificity while extroverted judgment (Te/Fe) seeks broad applicability. Ti wants to define exactly what is logically correct under an extremely specific set of circumstances that may never happen in the real world, while Te seeks widely applicable objective consensus that can apply in many different situations. Fi seeks to determine precisely what the user feels is morally right regardless of external application, while Fe seeks widely applicable, generalized ethical rules that can serve to govern entire groups. Ti/Fe = I think/We feel; Fi/Te = I feel/We think.

Ne, Extroverted Intuition: Ne is a connector - when perceiving information, those using Ne are capable of constant connection from one item to the next, making them capable of creating and employing unique solutions in dealing with the world. Ne is a very present-oriented function, using the present as a lens for viewing the future. Those who use Ne may be viewed as 'hyper-active' or 'random', and may even trip up others in conversation, including fellow Ne users who may not follow their exact chain of thought. One classic example of how Ne perceives and connections information is the letter example. Assuming A is the beginning and Z is the conclusion to something, Ne follows a trail not unlike this: A-C-L-S-U-Z. As such, Ne users may be perceived as jumping around from wall to wall with nothing to anchor them. Ne corresponds with: Dominant (ENFP, ENTP), Supportive (INTP, INFP), Tertiary (ESTJ, ESFJ), and Inferior (ISFJ, ISTJ). If you determine Ne is your dominant or supportive function, you can then determine that you are an xNxP.

Ne - Extraverted Intuition scans the external world to explore new ideas, new people, and emergent possibilities. The Extraverted Intuitive mind is imaginative, inventive, and innovative - seeing and describing ways things can be reshaped, altered, or improved. It naturally energizes people and engages action towards a vision of what could be . . . of future possibilities. Ne is perceiving abstract patterns and connections in response to stimuli (either in the external world or in the mind). Ne generates new information starting from something existing. Ne focuses on future possibilities.

Ne immediately converts "What is" into "What could possibly be", interpreting meanings and interconnections, recognizing synthesis between ideas and using new information for new and multiple simultaneous possibilities which coexist. Sees possibilities, multiple strands of possibility, seeing hidden meanings, seeing may representations of reality at once. Entertain multiple ideas, beliefs, realities and seeing how they can all work together and be true. Ne is seeing connections when there aren’t any. Lateral thinking. Creativity, strategy and concepts emerge in the here and now not as a whole beforehand. Brainstorming and trust what emerges. Enjoy imagination, play with ideas and multiple possibilities. Liking change and differences. When Ne walks into a room they could see many ways the room could be and be used.

Ne Extraverted iNtuiting: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: “Wearing this might communicate…”. This process is primarily obsessed with Possibility. Ne perceives the environment wanting to find stimulation, energy, and most importantly: Innovation. It thrives on finding alternatives, and is a catalyst for Change. Note that the things Ne comes up with aren't necessarily logical - they're actually quite wacky. Essentially, Ne has little embarrassment, and no idea is a bad idea -- some ideas are just better than others. It enjoys being silly, expressive and playful without shame.

Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone's behavior really means. It also involves seeing things "as if," with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don't know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks! That was a gold mine! After reading that I'm leaning more towards ENFP because a strong Fi will be in tune with the emotional needs of others and I'm terrible so I assume my Fi is really underdeveloped or secondary. Also the Ne funcntions in such a random way and making connections is very much like my thought process.

I think I'm about ready to settle in at ENFP. I think that because I'm type 4 enneagram, I struggled between INFP and ENFP. Maybe I'm just the dark side of ENFP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Raawx!:happy: Thanks for your input. What specifically are the reasons why you'd categorize me as such? if you dont mind expounding.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hey Raawx!:happy: Thanks for your input. What specifically are the reasons why you'd categorize me as such? if you dont mind expounding.
You have a very INFP mentality in the way you speak. It feels gentle and relaxed, much like I would expect an INFP to talk.

Importance of authenticity and privacy points to Fi
"Addictive" personality and your style of humor points to Ne

I got a stronger Fi than Ne vibe.

As for the "unhealthy" aspect, you struck me as being stressed out often, extremely self-conscious and worried about social interaction. It doesn't sound as if you're very confident.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a very INFP mentality in the way you speak. It feels gentle and relaxed, much like I would expect an INFP to talk.

Importance of authenticity and privacy points to Fi
"Addictive" personality and your style of humor points to Ne

I got a stronger Fi than Ne vibe.

As for the "unhealthy" aspect, you struck me as being stressed out often, extremely self-conscious and worried about social interaction. It doesn't sound as if you're very confident.
Maybe I am unhealthy lol. I have always traveled back and forth between deep thinking introvert to light fun loving extrovert.
After some testing I discovered that I am a enneagram 4w3 so I thought maybe others have dealt with something similar as a result of the mood swings of a 4.

Thanks for the insight. I definitely see the validity in your assesment as well. I wish there was a way I could could hone in on which one of the types fit me to a greater degree. I see so much of myself in both.

Guess I can solve this the way I make all my best decisions...flip a coin! :laughing:

·
Banned
298 Posts
I can relate to some things your saying pretty well, Seems like anxiety is the base for a lot of your motivation, I deal with the same thing sometimes, though not so intensely, my suggestion to you is to be less conflicted within yourself, and meditate, 15 minutes a day will do you wonders, trust me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Picking up on a lot of Si. I would argue you are ISFJ.

At first i thought you were without a doubt INFP. Then I reread your post. It's not Fi followed by Ne (or even Se).

It's a desire for comfort, security, and family. You also tell jokes with emphasis on the details on the silliness in what is said (and inflections). Extremely Si.

Oh and the addiction loops. I see that as either Se or Si. But your non-desire to get out of your comfort zone isn't my definition of Ne or Se.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Maybe I am unhealthy lol. I have always traveled back and forth between deep thinking introvert to light fun loving extrovert.
After some testing I discovered that I am a enneagram 4w3 so I thought maybe others have dealt with something similar as a result of the mood swings of a 4.

Thanks for the insight. I definitely see the validity in your assesment as well. I wish there was a way I could could hone in on which one of the types fit me to a greater degree. I see so much of myself in both.

Guess I can solve this the way I make all my best decisions...flip a coin! :laughing:
And who knows, you might be an ENFP who is in an unhealthy introverted state. The only way we'll, or in this case just you, know is how you act when you're happy and mentally "healthy".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picking up on a lot of Si. I would argue you are ISFJ.

At first i thought you were without a doubt INFP. Then I reread your post. It's not Fi followed by Ne (or even Se).

It's a desire for comfort, security, and family. You also tell jokes with emphasis on the details on the silliness in what is said (and inflections). Extremely Si.

Oh and the addiction loops. I see that as either Se or Si. But your non-desire to get out of your comfort zone isn't my definition of Ne or Se.
Thanks for your input. It was a real eye-opener! After reviewing the functions more carefully I'd have to agree that I am definitely an ISFJ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And who knows, you might be an ENFP who is in an unhealthy introverted state. The only way we'll, or in this case just you, know is how you act when you're happy and mentally "healthy".
Haha! Thanks, Megakill really opened my eyes and I think that I'm an ISFJ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts