Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a word that I throw around a lot, but I suppose I should write some of my random thoughts in relation to it.

I like idealism if it helps me idealize/ envision ''what should be'' because to me, no matter what others may say, that is an essential principle in seeing reality. What would be the point of growing and changing if I don't get a sense of 'what should be'? It literally drives me.

Too much idealism is only negative if it is carried away in only self interest and it paints a picture for you to not be true to yourself. When you have high ideals, you have to feel that you have understood yourself on some level and it requires you to understand even the needs that cannot be put down in words.

Regardless of the results, I'd still prefer to remain true to myself and my ideals. At least I won't regret going down vision related paths that feel absolutely right to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with being too idealistic as long as it's me as a whole.

What are your thoughts on idealism?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think your on the right track izzie. Idealism is something that could kill the lot of us if we dont watch it so there must be some balance between reaping the benefits and being to self critical as a result of these ideal standards. Thats probably the place to be

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Don't know if this is accurate or not, but this quote is credited to Socrates:

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

That said, some of the most heinous crimes in human history have been committed by idealists, which should give us warning to control ourselves.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your on the right track izzie. Idealism is something that could kill the lot of us if we dont watch it so there must be some balance between reaping the benefits and being to self critical as a result of these ideal standards. Thats probably the place to be
True :) Striking a balance is good.

I don't like being too extreme in anything, although I don't want to settle. If that makes sense. I'm not extreme as in I don't force people to see everything my way, although I like to share.

This is because I tend to see excessive extremism as something that can slow down human growth.

Don't know if this is accurate or not, but this quote is credited to Socrates:

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

That said, some of the most heinous crimes in human history have been committed by idealists, which should give us warning to control ourselves.

Yep, with idealism comes responsibility; the responsibility to also think of what can benefit humankind.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Idealism can drive you to be better than average. It can cause you to do the right thing when everyone else is doing the wrong thing. It can give people the strength to overcome seemingly impossible odds. Idealists can be true heroes.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Idealism can drive you to be better than average. It can cause you to do the right thing when everyone else is doing the wrong thing. It can give people the strength to overcome seemingly impossible odds. Can be idealists true heroes.
Yes, idealism can also drive us to break the negative expectations and we can make the standards of reality more exceptional.

It can help us see what 'should be', what should be more noble and what can connect us over various feelings or ideals.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yes, idealism can also drive us to break the negative expectations and we can make the standards of reality more exceptional.

It can help us see what 'should be', what should be more noble and what can connect us over various feelings or ideals.
And what should be is often very attainable, Its just people don't care to attain it. I think ideals can be what drives us to take the necessary and practical steps which are needed to make a better world and given the state of the world at the moment we need ideals more than ever.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
And what should be is often very attainable, Its just people don't care to attain it. I think ideals can be what drives us to take the necessary and practical steps which are needed to make a better world and given the state of the world at the moment we need ideals more than ever.
I've been trying to bring myself to post in this thread for about a half hour now; maybe I'm not selfish for imagining this regarding idealism.

Idealism.

Currently, I believe that Idealism is being held in a government facility far away from the common coasts where it is in a white room, embodied into a person and put in a strap jacket with meals given three times a day.

Oh, and it's angry.

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
President of lithuania: "women can use the tool of politics to make a better life for their family..."

Someday, I want to fulfill this ideal if I can :wink: If I can.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Many great women have done this and made the world a better place, so i hope you succeed
My key ideals are:
Pacifism: War is one of the worst events possible. Humanity must always work to attain peace.
Charity:Those with ability should work to help the poor and suffering. Why do governments spend trillions on war when it would be better spent on charitable causes which can make a huge difference to the world?
Equality: All humans are equal and should be treated with due respect
Environmentalism If we don't intervene, the world will face environmental catastrophy in 100 years or less. We must act now for the sake of humanity and the other creatures which inhabit this earth.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,257 Posts
Idealism is a treasure. It's not something to be scoffed at. I believe that idealism is essential for any improvement because it doesn't just accept how things are. Idealism is what says "Things could and should be better than this" and says it with conviction that drives innovation and change.

I think idealism can also cause us to enjoy life more, because we don't just settle. We may settle when the situation looks difficult, but I think idealism drives us even in small things. Here are some ways idealism has played out in my life:

At some point in High School I determined that I was only going to buy (or let my mom buy) clothes for me that I liked so much I wanted to wear them out of the store. No more soso outfits. You know, the ones that you only wear because you're too lazy to do laundry and you have nothing else left, but they make you feel really frumpy. I used to have a lot of those, but then I said to myself. What if all my clothes were my favorites? Then the last thing in the drawer would still be something nice and I wouldn't have to worry about looking frumpy half the time in between washing. SO that's what I did. Got rid of all the stuff I didn't just love, and only accumulated (for the most part) things that I really really liked. I applied that to other things too, weeding out all the extra random stuff I had around that wasn't really me. It makes my environment so much more pleasant for me. And it even prevents some waste.

Again this same principle was applied to food later on and I can actually say I became thinner and more healthy because of it. I determined that if it wasn't something really good, I wasn't going to bother to eat it. So Chips, Fries, Pop-corn, Soda, Fast Food were all things that I didn't feel were really worth it, so I just don't eat them. I do eat my favorie cheese, my favorite bread, my favorite cereal, my favorite tea, my favorite veggies, my favorite fruits, my favorite chocolates, my favorite kind of milk (which is whole milk). I have an Ideal of organic all natural things, so I started buying those. I also pay attention when I am eating and savor it - because that is the ideal of food. To have it prepared right, and to savor the flavor and texture, etc. So I do that, and I can eat less while enjoying it more and getting better quality nutrition. I save my sweets and wait till the right moment to enjoy them at their fulliest. I don't just knaw on things while I'm nervous. I make sure I have the right kind of tea or topping or whatever to go with something, I wait for the right moment of the day where I am having a beautifull moment already, and then I make it even more beautifull by enjoying my favorite treat. Any candy or sweet that isn't among my favorites I don't bother to touch. Maybe it sounds spoiled, maybe it sounds elitiest, or what have you, but it works for me and makes my life a lot better.

I have always had an ideal of one true soul mate. Being determined to wait for the right person saved me a lot of heartache in Highschool and College when other girls were chasing guys they would never see after graduation and generally going through a lot of short-lived tortuous relationships.

I have an ideal of good friendships, so I invest a lot in them. I make effort to keep in contact with people, and I don't waste my energy on relationships that don't seem worthwhile. I invest in those who I feel a good connection with, and pay as little attention to others as common decency allows. And I do have good deep friendships, and can't say that I've had many friends who have hurt me or caused me troubles.

I have an ideal of an old fashioned aesthetic, and thus have learned to sew so that I can make the clothes I dreamed of wearing as a child. I have also grown my hair very long because that is in keeping with the style that I idealise. It is very fullfilling to see those dreams lived out in my own life!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts