Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about something else and I wanted to share. When I read that INFPs as children are described as living fanciful lives, pretending to be princes and princesses, I felt odd because I couldn't relate. As far as I know I simply never pretended to be a prince, but that got me thinking about different interpretations of a prince, and then I noticed something. All my life I have subconsciously had an insatiable need to build up things. My favorite game as a kid was Civilizations, and I enjoyed any game where you progressed from being some insignificant little speck into a force to be reckoned with. So in a way I fantasized about being a ruler, not for the title and privilege but for the ability to take ideals and hope and turn it into reality. It actually goes beyond empires, I enjoy simply seeing things physically progress: from construction sites to organizations, I delight in seeing it grow.

Having recognized this, I see a potential for finding my "purpose" in life, working for a cause that makes me happy and benefits others. However, I am not entirely sure where I could realistically satisfy my need to build something up while contributing to society. Have you fellow INFPers any thoughts? Whether on how this entire concept relates to INFPs or perhaps even where I might find a suitable career?

I appreciate them :happy:

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's interesting you say that. I still love the original Age of Empires PC game. And one thing I used to love doing was if I'd got wiped out, taking some small band of survivors and rebuilding my tribe. And just once every so often, that little band would go on to win the game. :D I think that's truely awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
_

Same here bro, my favorite game is Rise of Nations, I'm addicted to building a country, then let the enemy take it over while i take a group of citizens & build a new capital away from all the fight and then slowly take over that enemy. it's amzing!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used to play games while thinking of living out my ideals too! That was my version of becoming a prince or princess. I was also quite stuck in my novels which I built in my head. (The ones I never wrote lol)

As for helping other people, you can start with the people who are around you just by the little things. Little things always make me feel good and it's one of the most effective ways of changing the world I feel.

As for something a little bigger, there is always the peace corps and other organizations. Helping professions also.

Reactions: PWarren

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've enjoyed all kinds of these building games (Sim City, Age of Empires, Civilization, Alpha Centauri, etc.)

My idealism really shines in Alpha Centauri as I liked being the faction that used the planet's natural fungus the best and I would overtake the other factions in fungus! :p

This is an interesting thread topic for sure. I was going to pursue a career in Urban Planning, but life had other plans for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts