Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized each person has a unique smell. Its their body smell + if they smoke or drink or ate + perfume or other stuff. Like I can tell the belongings of my friends from their smell. Well it doesn't work always but it works. Who else does that? I realized humans dont have a bad sense of smell after all. Its kinda cool haha

Reactions: Sporadic Aura

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
There's a book (and later a film) about it, about a man whose smell sense is super developed. Forewarning: creepy. I read it when I was 12 and I got so horror-struck I never ever wanted to read it again.

With this being said, though, sometimes it does happen to me that certain smells remind me of certain people. Normally it has more to do to their perfumes.

Reactions: KevinHeaven

·
Registered
596 Posts
I used to be able to do that in a dream I had. I believe I was a bloodhound or something...

Reactions: KevinHeaven

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a book (and later a film) about it, about a man whose smell sense is super developed. Forewarning: creepy. I read it when I was 12 and I got so horror-struck I never ever wanted to read it again.

With this being said, though, sometimes it does happen to me that certain smells remind me of certain people. Normally it has more to do to their perfumes.
Lol yes it creeped me out when i realized it today. :p i think we all have good smell sense but we dont pay it attention. I believe we can identify others if we trained our noses to do so.. though it would be creepy lol

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Lol yes it creeped me out when i realized it today. :p i think we all have good smell sense but we dont pay it attention. I believe we can identify others if we trained our noses to do so.. though it would be creepy lol
As everything, it can be creepy when misused. As in The Perfume lol.
I'm more of an auditory lady, though. I'm frequently turn on and off through voices :laughing:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
i've noticed it, after i know the person very well (as in dating; i don't usually get that close to a person, or spend that much time with them otherwise).

people can have a smell, but it's kind of the same as all "people smell" (lol, that sounds creepy, but it's true: people do have a scent).

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Did you know smell is the strongest memory trigger? More than sight or sound even. I read that somewhere. I don't think it's weird that you're able to identify the way someone close to you smells, if you can sniff out a relative stranger in a group of acquaintances based on a whiff you get of their cellphone THAT might be a little weird.

I actually find it more strange that people are finding this creepy. There's a reason so many movies/tv series show someone burying their face in a loved one's pillow or snorting a shirt they wore.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you know smell is the strongest memory trigger? More than sight or sound even. I read that somewhere. I don't think it's weird that you're able to identify the way someone close to you smells, if you can sniff out a relative stranger in a group of acquaintances based on a whiff you get of their cellphone THAT might be a little weird.

I actually find it more strange that people are finding this creepy. There's a reason so many movies/tv series show someone burying their face in a loved one's pillow or snorting a shirt they wore.
Yeah I remember hearing it on tv. Maybe on nat geo or something... I dont know i think its one of those things that you have to say "creepy" so people dont think you are creepy. I actually think its cool. But you know society will think of you as a creep if you say I can tell people by smell. And yeah about the pillow and the dress thing. But i realized that even if they touch something for example keys or a pen. it will instantly get the smell. Some people more than others. :p

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sometimes smell jasmine without it being around, which reminds me of my mother. I associate that smell with her.
Me too. Sometimes I smell things that arent here and reminds me of a childhood memory. By the way your profile picture rocks!!!☺

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I can memorize a person's smell by what their home smells like. Most people smell like that to me. I've been told I have a "smell" (that sounds so weird to say) that is a mix between hair products, detergent, and just the smell of my bedroom. I love this part about being human because it gives each of us a uniqueness. As long as "your smell" isn't bad, then own it :th_wink:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I confess I have eliminated women from consideration based on their pheromone smells consciously. Some mysterious internal intuition. No idea if I was right or wrong. But it made me awkward and leery enough around them to just say no.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I sometimes smell jasmine without it being around, which reminds me of my mother. I associate that smell with her.
that makes me wonder if memories can trigger smells?

maybe not impossible, since it's all nerve relays, almost like a programming tool that relies on a stimulus--but maybe your brain can provide that stimulus? almost like you can imagine the taste of something, or how sour a type of food is, and your mouth waters a little.

either that, or you're just having random, interdimensional bouts of jasmine shower you with mana from the universe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our sense of smell tends to be the easiest one to commit to memories, and is often used to help someone remember forgotten events. If you want to delve into the science of it look up olfactory memory.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I usually try not to do that, considering I apparently can tell "Just had sex" sweat, from "exercise" sweat. <it has "other people" smell for one thing>
Also, an assload of guys use axe body spray, not very good stench.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I can't date guys who smell offensive to me (not BO, just subjective objection). The guys I had dated I fell for them partly due to their natural scent. When I was in love (or in lust) with them, I loved being close to them to get enveloped in the "scent".

I heard that it's biologically based. The pheromone attracts the pheromone that together would produce the survivable off spring.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts