Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Me
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is not a new subject, nor one that I have not mentioned before.

But it has occurred to me, (albeit not recently), and to many before me that identifying the dominant function in oneself involves trying to pin-point something so intrinsic to you, so in-built, that it is using the pin-point to find the pin-point.

How does a person self-evaluate their own dominant cognitive function, when they are most likely using it to do so?

We are aware of our own breathing despite its autonomy and we can control it through this awareness, but trying to do so while performing an extremely high maintainance and engaging task becomes increasingly difficult; to me this is the state at which a person's first function operates all the time.

Any thoughts about this?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Through the inferior function. You can tell the degree that you use the dominant through how you approach the inferior function. You have to work backwards. Because without taking the inferior function into consideration you might erroneously apply something to the dominant function that isn't truly the dominant function (for instance a lot of people say Si-types stick to what they know, without taking into consideration that this is likely Si+Inferior Ne pushing them into their more comfortable subjective perceptions).

To be honest, the true character of a person is often not revealed in their dominant function anyway but rather in the inferior because the inferior is the least clouded and protected by the outer personas, the whims of the ego, etc., but rather sits closer to the core of who a person really is, straddling the line between the influences of the conscious sphere and the unconscious sphere. The dominant function, in contrast is ego-centric, so its focus, as it relates to the sum total of who you are as person is actually rather limited to a small sphere (just Feeling, or Thinking, or Intuition or Sensation). It's a dissociation or a fragmenting of your ego and of your entire personality that carries a lot of power, but isn't (as many people assume) all that you are. On the see-saw of the spine of self vis-a-vis functions really there are two main riders: dominant AND inferior.

If you want to effectively be able to analyze an ESTJ for example you have to consider their Inferior Feeling as much a factor as their dominant Thinking (much more so than the Si/Ne for them actually). Same goes for an INFP. Many INFPs ignore the Inferior Te aspects that really define the INFP (and give them their characteristic antagonism toward Te-types). Inside every ESP is an Intuitive and even at surface value Se-doms might appear to be quite intuitive, even if they don't consciously accept intuition as a valid way of a perception, it's still there. So you begin to understand that you can't just focus on one function, but rather have to look at the greater picture. The degree to which we repress or struggle with our inferior function indicates the degree of conscious influence of the dominant (because the Inferior if it had its way would swallow up the first three functions).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Haha hi worried! Are you still trying to figure out your type?:wink:

I have an odd suggestion for you. When you want to find the composition of a river, would you go 3 miles downstream and take measurements there? No way. All the essence of the water would be tainted by the sewage, chemicals, and sediments that it has picked up along the way. It needs to be measured at the source; whether it be from icy mountain or an underground resevoir.

If possible explore how you were as a child. Ask parents, siblings, relatives, and friends. There is a user on PerC named Grey who has excellent guides on raising the MBTI types as children. I am not sure if Grey had a post for each type but I am sure they are still up as I was just perusing through them before I came across your post.

How can you know what to look for in your childhood and know what actions correlate to which dominant function? That is what Grey's guides are for. They'll help you know what to look for.

I suggest you look at her post concerning ENTP children. It might be what you're looking for.

Reactions: Worriedfunction

·
Registered
Me
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Through the inferior function. You can tell the degree that you use the dominant through how you approach the inferior function. You have to work backwards. Because without taking the inferior function into consideration you might erroneously apply something to the dominant function that isn't truly the dominant function (for instance a lot of people say Si-types stick to what they know, without taking into consideration that this is likely Si+Inferior Ne pushing them into their more comfortable subjective perceptions).

To be honest, the true character of a person is often not revealed in their dominant function anyway but rather in the inferior because the inferior is the least clouded and protected by the outer personas, the whims of the ego, etc., but rather sits closer to the core of who a person really is, straddling the line between the influences of the conscious sphere and the unconscious sphere. The dominant function, in contrast is ego-centric, so its focus, as it relates to the sum total of who you are as person is actually rather limited to a small sphere (just Feeling, or Thinking, or Intuition or Sensation). It's a dissociation or a fragmenting of your ego and of your entire personality that carries a lot of power, but isn't (as many people assume) all that you are. On the see-saw of the spine of self vis-a-vis functions really there are two main riders: dominant AND inferior.

If you want to effectively be able to analyze an ESTJ for example you have to consider their Inferior Feeling as much a factor as their dominant Thinking (much more so than the Si/Ne for them actually). Same goes for an INFP. Many INFPs ignore the Inferior Te aspects that really define the INFP (and give them their characteristic antagonism toward Te-types). Inside every ESP is an Intuitive and even at surface value Se-doms might appear to be quite intuitive, even if they don't consciously accept intuition as a valid way of a perception, it's still there. So you begin to understand that you can't just focus on one function, but rather have to look at the greater picture. The degree to which we repress or struggle with our inferior function indicates the degree of conscious influence of the dominant (because the Inferior if it had its way would swallow up the first three functions).
This is great advice thank you and I realise now that I wasn't as far off as I thought.

It is actually my understanding that you need to look at influences of the inferior as many books on this subject suggest, I had thought that the dominant and auxiliary were more important to look out for, however what you've said here does make more sense.

Afterall it is easier to identify what you clash with both in yourself and in others and it's also a good way to stop yourself projecting onto others.

Thanks again, you always give good advice.

@StraightCrushin

Yeah im a daft thing really. I think I said in my type me thread that I lack certainty which im fairly sure stems from being told how wrong I was as a child in my opinions and views on things. Not neccessarily by my parents though. Maybe it is shallow of me, but I rarely got any confirmation or support in my own ideals or insights, usually it was a lot of being shot down and questioning of intelligence. This left me without any self confidence for my own perspectives free of influence from others, ive had to develop this through sheer persistance instead.

But I will take a look at Grey's guides. I have already spent some time looking back at my childhood but I think I could do with some advice on what to look for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts